Old 03-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
You'll note that I have this speech prepared as I'm certain I'm going to need it frequently as many fellow Airstreamers will tell me that I can't tow the beast with a Minivan - not that I mind, of course, it's a great talking point.
Yes you will be criticized, and possibly HEAVILY as I have been by a FEW on this forum, for towing with what they consider a dangerous assembly (see my avatar); they will tell you that you’re not using good judgment and that you don’t belong on the road with them.

Since CanAm RV set you up, as they did me, don’t worry, you’re good to go; just be prepared to defend your assembly.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Dan,

A valid comment indeed! The 2011 Sienna has big discs on all four wheels, has ABS and something called Electronic Brake Force Distribution, which I assume to be an advantage. There hasn't been any reports of brake issues with the Sienna so I'm very confident, both in the van and in CanAm RV.

Towing with a Minivan will be a leisurely process all round I think. Patience will be required when accelerating and plenty of space needed when braking, but I also don't intend to be trying to maintain high speeds, either. The speed limit here is Canada is 62mph and that will be pretty much our maximum cruise speed (on a level grade!). The Airstream is for vacations and I don't rush anywhere when I'm vacation!

Old 03-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Withidl,

Thanks, I think you're right. Having done considerable research on the issue, I'm more than happy to defend my choice of tow vehicle and would quite like to spread the word that, properly set up, you really don't need a monster truck to haul an Airstream. Of course, I fully respect the wishes of other Airstreamers if they wish to use a big truck, but trucks are not for me; maybe that's my European background coming through.

Your rig looks good enough to eat by the way!
Old 03-10-2011, 07:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Mr. Toad- I agree completely with your leisurely towing attitude. I typically never exceed 60 mph with my towing rig (66 TW) eventhough I could easily do so. Traveling at a speed less than other traffic also results in a larger safety cushion in front to allow for braking.

Withidl & Mr. Toad- Reading this thread has convinced me that I will use my Tundra to tow my 84 31' (or possibly a future 34'). I love my 08 5.7L Tundra and am confident that it can be modified to safely tow either a 31' or 34'. I know for starters that adequate power and braking is not an issue. The weak link is either the rear axle weight or the strength of the receiver. My big Tundra is plenty of truck for me. I don't think that I need a monster truck (or to spend the extra 25K) to safely tow my Airstreams. I would rather spend that 25K on Streaming.

Dan
Old 03-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Withidl,

Your rig looks good enough to eat by the way!
Thank you! BUT there will be NO munching on my rig