Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
New Airstream Interstate Owner

Hi folks,

We just took delivery of a new 2011 Airstream Interstate and just joined the group, and wanted to say hello to everyone!

Gerald
gmillerok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Congratulations on your new baby. We would love to see some pictures.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmilleroik1 View Post
Hi folks,

We just took delivery of a new 2011 Airstream Interstate and just joined the group, and wanted to say hello to everyone!

Gerald
Hello Gerald,

Congratulations!

You might like to check out the thread, "Fans of Airstream Interstate", here on airfourms.com.
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Aaah, Interstates are the only way to go.

Welcome and congratulations. We are 93,000+ miles and 4 years today. Love it, love it, love it.

Travel safe and will look for you on the road.

Maggie
Old 04-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
london , London
Wow, I am jealous! Would love to see some pics too
Old 04-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Congrats on the purchase! Did you get the ones with the new LED lighting package? I'm a bit jealous. If I ever downsized from our huge 43" class A I might look at something like the interstate...

Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
New Airstream Interstate

Thanks, everyone for making me welcome here.

Yes, it has the LED package and the solar package as well. I previously owned a 2007 Roadtrek RS Adventurous (2006) chassis, so I have something close to compare it to.

I started a yahoo group before I found this forum at

Airstream_Interstate : Airstream Interstate & Avenue

where I reviewed and compared the two.

In most ways, the Interstate beats the Roadtrek hands down, particularily regarding the more important aspects of a Class B, such as how the run the water lines so they don't freeze, insulated floor, walls, and ceiling, heated tanks, they way the do the waste lines and shower (with a wash for the black tank making dumping simple) and much nicer details. I noticed that for 2011, Roadtrek now is using the 3500 chassis, probably because of Airstream was using it to begin with and it's hard to compete. But I also noticed that Roadtrek buys the most basic model with no options. Airstream gets most, but not all, of the available option packages. But there is one area Roadtrek has AS beat-and that's in ergonomics and the bath/shower. AS does a great job on the more important stuff, but they seem stuck in poor design in those areas. For instance, no mirrors (except a small shaving mirror in the bath). The bath door has a panel that swings out similar to the RT model, but it really serves no useful purpose as it is next to the toilet and doesn't offer any room while showering. There is only one towell bar and no paper towell bar in the kitchen area or spice rack (RT has both and at least two mirrors). The TV does not articulate downward, and since it is mounted is very high, you really can't watch the TV unless you stand (worse, the company they use to buy the mount from does not make one that does tilt down, so I will have to have something machined to make it work). But even with these shortcomings, it wins out easily over the RT. They use gauges that actually work. A "smart" power controller. They actually use the feature of the isolater to jump the main battery if it becomes discharged (all it takes is a single wire and RT doesn't go to the trouble). A higher end water heater (heats both electric and gas plus uses a mixing valve to get 9 gallons out of six). LED's (Roadtrek still uses halogen's). Pre-wired for satelllite and solar (Not so fo the RT). Ultra-leather as opposed to suede on the surfaces. Table legs that screw and lock into place as opposed to being loosely stuck in a hole cut through the floor.

But the main advantage-it's a year round RV-you can take a shower even if it's below freezing as long as you keep the cab warm. No way in the RT. The water lines all run under the frame out in the open.

I'll take some pictures this weekend. I just became a grandpa for the first time yesterday, so that takes a bit of priority!

Gerald
Old 04-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Gerald,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Interstate. And your new grand baby!

We have had our 2010 for 3 days short of a full year. I picked it up in Eugene, OR and drove it home to Anchorage with no issues. We've done some short trips in AK and in most respects we love it and look forward to getting some more miles this summer.

Is yours the lounge or twin bed model? Also, what model year is the Sprinter?

Looking forward to some pics.

Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Gerald,

A couple of new owner tips: 1) be sure to check out the Sprinter forum at Sprinter - Sprinter-Forum There are some super knowledgeable folks there and not too much nonsense (unless you look for it), 2) Make sure your Airstream dealer completed the paperwork to have the warranty start date reset to the date you took delivery. There can be quite a lengthy delay between the date the Sprinter is built and the date you take ownership and you don't want this chunk of your warranty to evaporate. You can verify the warranty start date by having your MB dealer run a vehicle report for you.

Again, welcome to the forum!
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Thanks!

I have a new setup-which is a lounge-wardrobe model. Basically take your twin beds and put in the lounge, remove the streetside rear wardrobe, and you have the same configuration. They only had built two in that configuration when I took delivery.

I have a 2011 chassis, with the Bluetec emission system.

Gerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
Gerald,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Interstate. And your new grand baby!

We have had our 2010 for 3 days short of a full year. I picked it up in Eugene, OR and drove it home to Anchorage with no issues. We've done some short trips in AK and in most respects we love it and look forward to getting some more miles this summer.

Is yours the lounge or twin bed model? Also, what model year is the Sprinter?

Looking forward to some pics.

Wayne
Old 04-17-2011, 09:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have solved the one-small-towel-rod problem with these items, of which we have all sizes :

RV Towel Bars

They are WONDERFUL, and can be easily moved and placed on the exterior when you have nice towel-drying weather.

This site has some other very handy items, too.

Travel safe,

Maggie
Old 04-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Thanks! I've been looking everywhere for a solution!

Gerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
We have solved the one-small-towel-rod problem with these items, of which we have all sizes :

RV Towel Bars

They are WONDERFUL, and can be easily moved and placed on the exterior when you have nice towel-drying weather.

This site has some other very handy items, too.

Travel safe,

Maggie
Old 04-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Glad to be of help.

Where would any of us be, especially when first starting out, without the kindness of others.

Maggie

Tags
2011 airstream interstate