Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #1

2009 16' DWR
Stamford , Connecticut
New Airstream DWR / Rust / East Coast

Hi all,

I am planning on buying a new (2008) Airstream DWR at Colonial Airstream in New Jersey this weekend.

My only reservation about the purchase is whether or not it is smart to own and store an airstream on the East Coast. I live in Stamford, Connecticut.
I am concerned that the the trailer will become rusty in the wet/humid environment here. As my driveway is a little tricky for parking it -
I may have to pay to store it outdoors or indoors. How much of a difference would it make if I spend the $$$ and endure the drive to an indoor storage facility as far as helping to buy time in the race against rust. Do any of you know of a good storage facility in this area? Do any of you East Coasters leave your Airstream out year round - and if so - how do you fight the rust?

Also - are any of you familiar with this particular trailer for sale at Colonial - the price seems low - is there something I should look out for?
jamesmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
Certifiable

. , .
Hi James,
Welcome to the forums!
Congrats on the DWR!!!
BTW, it's always smart to own an Airstream!

I'm just up the road a bit in Easton.
If you have the resources to store it indoors, do so.
I wish I could. I'm stuck having to wash it a lot.

But I gotta tell ya, I'm more paranoid about falling frozen branches than I am about living by the Sound. And we go to the beach fairly often too. The trailer has already been to the Jersey Shore, Cape Cod, Portsmouth, and the Maine Coast this summer.

Rolling wheels and frequent baths oughtta keep the rust to a minimum.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmarks View Post
Also - are any of you familiar with this particular trailer for sale at Colonial - the price seems low - is there something I should look out for?
The DWR is MSRP is over-priced to begin with. For almost the same $ amount you can get a 23' or a used 25'. I was convinced I wanted a DWR until my wife convinced me that we needed a 23'. She was right-- and always is ;-). I have noticed in CO that the DWRs and Basecamps sell at a much higher discount to MSRP than all the other models, so that's probably the reason it seems like such a good deal--supply vs. demand. Good luck and shop around. If I had to do it over again, I would have saved $10K and bought a lightly used, still under warranty 23' with solar panels.

Oh and it's not rust you should be worried about, but filliform corrosion (search and you can spend 2 full days reading one thread on the topic). Seems to be less prevelant in dryer climates away from the ocean.
1cericks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
Bordentown , New Jersey
James,
I also just picked up my new F.C. 19' from Colonial. First I think that Colonial is a great place. Helpful and easy to reach and ask questions.
Its aluminum so it wont rust. If your worried about the true steel pieces don't be 'cause if you keep it clean with a good wax and paint areas quickly that may develop rust you will be okay.
Finally I read in a few other places that they are made to be in the weather and Airstreams frowns on placing trailers under covers.
Doohickey is offline   Reply With Quote