Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2018, 12:49 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Belmont , California
New Airstream and planning trip to Alaska summer of 2018

We are really happy with our new Airstream- a 2018 25FB International Signature. The windows - and the views from inside are wonderful!

We've taken it out for our first trip to Owens Valley and Death Valley. We're parked at Furnace Creek Campground and smiled to see so many other Airstreams parked in the campground - must be at least 10 others including one with a slide out!

We are planning to drive up to Alaska - leaving CA in mid- May with a goal of arriving in Alaska June 1 and then spending the month of June traveling around Alaska. We'd like to spend a week at Denali as well as to spend time in Fairbanks (probably before Denali) followed by time in Anchorage and Kenai Peninsula. We'd like to savor the places we visit- giving my husband lots of time for landscape photography and for us to soak in the natural beauty.

Please jump in with your advice, ideas, insights on travel to Alaska. We are just beginning our planning and have started to find great info on these forums.
LoveUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:58 AM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Welcome to the forums. Sounds like a great trip.

1. Don’t bring guns of any kind through Canada.
2. Bear spray for each of you to carry on any trails.
3. Hand held GPS.
4. Lots of bug repellent and mesh head nets.
5. Satellite communicator like a SPOT or Inreach when out of cell phone coverage.
6. Two spare tires for both the TV and trailer, air pump and a good tire patch kit and adequate hydraulic jack for trailer.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
You sound like you speak from experience! Good info.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Welcome to the forums. Sounds like a great trip.

1. Don’t bring guns of any kind through Canada.
2. Bear spray for each of you to carry on any trails.
3. Hand held GPS.
4. Lots of bug repellent and mesh head nets.
5. Satellite communicator like a SPOT or Inreach when out of cell phone coverage.
6. Two spare tires for both the TV and trailer, air pump and a good tire patch kit and adequate hydraulic jack for trailer.
I think you mean tire plug kit, unless you can remove the tire from the rim and patch it.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:56 AM   #5
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Totally jealous LoveUSA. We hope to make an Alaska trip in the next two or three years. I've only been once, and was on a motorcycle The whole way, and had a short time to travel. Please post about your trip, once you take it. There are a Peot of Alaska threads, but sometimes newer info reveals new things to do or see.
I took my bike along the Top of The World highway (lots of gravel) it was a beautiful road. I hope to pull our AS along the same road. Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:30 AM   #6

Anacortes , Washington
Premium gasoline may not be available along your entire route. Be prepared with some octane booster and keep your engine revolutions up; you really don't want to be lugging the engine on low-octane fuel.

In Canada, be prepared for excellent French fries and outstanding whiskey, but mediocre salads and laughable tartar sauce.

In Whitehorse, I recommend Takhini Hot Springs as the place to camp and Fireweed RV for any needed service. I enjoyed both for many years while living in Juneau and vacationing in Yukon.
John Corso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
As is typical, plan to stay off the roads Fridays and Sundays after noon. Alaskans can be a little frantic about getting out and about in the summer - it is why we live here - and the roads are full of RVs those times. Pay attention to the five-car rule on some of the smaller highways: find a safe turnout soon if you end up with 5 vehicles right behind you. The locals will applaud. No need to try to keep pace with the monster truck hauling a rack of ATVs at high speed on a road they know like the back of their hand. Stop lots.

The best views of Denali are from the south side, IMHO, from areas close to Talkeetna. Only 30-some % of visitors to AK actually see the mountain because it makes its own weather. Be patient; it is worth the wait.

New addition here - our 2017 unit should be here in Wasilla some time in April. Hope to get handy with the process over the next few years then head south to check out the rest of the USA. A couple of life long Alaskan's looking to expand our horizons. Let me know if you think of something else you'd like to know. But there are excellent suggestions in the other Alaska posts in the forum.
pjshier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:04 PM   #8
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Good advice pjshier. I think the five car rule makes sense. Hopefully there's lots of places to pull off and on safely. Better yet, I'll just plan "not" to be on the road.
Also good tip on getting to the south side of Denali.
Thanks

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We are planning to do an Alaska trip in 2019 so we would be interested to hear how your trip goes. We met a fellow Airsteamer in Banff a few years ago who had just finished the Alaska trip with WBCCI. One thing I remember is that the front of his trailer took a pretty good beating from rock strikes. Perhaps some extra protection for the front of the trailer would be in order.

I am attaching a video about Airstreaming in Alaska. They have a few more as well.
https://youtu.be/ccSlUnLqNSw
Cheers
Old 03-08-2018, 01:01 PM   #10
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
There are plenty of discussions out there about efforts to protect the front of the trailer from rock damage when driving to/from Alaska via Canada. The protection effort seems to be quite an art form. Definitely search the forum. Something to start with: "Rock Tamers" As you look, you'll see there are many different approaches, some of which worked better than others, as many folks were kind enough to check back in and report results after a trip.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:26 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Belmont , California
Protection for front of our Airstream

My husband did an amazing job "wrapping" the front of our Airstream. You can see them in response #58
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post2101491
Old 05-19-2018, 05:10 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Caldwell , Idaho
Milepost

Next year 2019 is the year for Alaska for us, I have been getting books, maps and what have together to help out our planning I stumbled across "Milepost" and now have it in my pile seems to be a good source of info. Have a safe trip. Ron
Ron_Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:58 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Belmont , California
We're in Whitehorse

We've had a terrific time in our first week or so of travel. Western Canada is beautiful. If we had more time we would have been stopping and exploring more places on our way to Alaska. We've stayed in beautiful campgrounds - Monck Lake, Jasper National Park, Muncho Lake. The Provincial campgrounds are a bargain if you like dry camping. I really appreciate the water storage we have in our Airstream.

I found the Milepost rather overwhelming - kind of like trying to glean information from a phone book and encyclopedia. But now, I've got it out all the time and we're finding it tremendously useful and informative. I needed to get onto the road and be able to relate what we were seeing to the maps and mileage/kilometers along a route. I've had the big map out so much that I've worn a hole in it!

It's early in the season - we're seeing ice breaking up on lakes, bears, elk, wood bison totally focused on grazing now that there's new grass and leaves on bushes etc. It's awesome!

We're hoping we'll meet some fellow Airstreamers as we travel.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:13 PM   #14
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Check out Long Long Honeymoon on Youtube. They have a few videos on their trip to Alaska in their 25 Airstream. Very informative...
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote