Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2008, 08:18 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Mountainair , New Mexico
New Airstream

Hi, my name is Jim and I'm a new member and a newby to RV's and Airstreams. A little over a month ago my wife Amy and I purchased a 2005 Bambi 19, camped with it two times and decided that it was too small. We decided to step up and get what we wanted for the long haul so today I am picking up our new, 2008, Safari SE 27'. We are excited!
This summer we are taking to the road. We live in Florida and we are going to the great Pacific Northwest. I have a brother in British Columbia, other family in the Seattle area, friends in Eugene, OR and other friends on the southern coast of Oregon. In between Florida and the northwest we have family in North Carolina and Missouri. We will be gone for at least a month.
Now here is some questions for the forum. How many miles would you recommend traveling if you want to get somewhere distant, like across the country? Do you just stay in Wal Mart parking lots when you're putting long days in? Can you stay long hours in the state rest areas?
sk8r29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:28 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

When going a long distance to our camping destination, we prefer to stop at large truck stops.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:40 AM   #3
Married to Soldiermedic

San Antonio , Texas
Welcome to the forums! just remember you can always see if someone will courtsey park you on your trip. Its like having a mini rally at somebodys house! But seriously people here are great about it and if not Walmart is always there. Hope to see you down the road.

Amy
CombatMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Welcome to the forums! If you need any information about British Columbia, particularly the Vancouver, Tofino and Okanagan areas, let me know.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Welcome to the forums, and congratulations on your upgrade!

This thread may help with the mileage question.
Dave

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...day-40322.html
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Welcome aboard.

Drive til your tired and then stop. Fatigued drivers are a danger to themselves and others.

Once you get out west there's tons of BLM land you can camp on. In many places in Ca, Az, NM. you can pull off the freeway and within a mile be boondocking on the feds (your) land.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Welcome to the Forums and we also congratulate you on your new Airstream.

Towing distance per day, 400 is what we try not to go over, 500 is doable if it has to be that way.

Places to stay, they are great state parks and county parks in our country, if you are willing to do a little online research and maybe go 10 to 20 miles off route.

Flying J's are OK if you really want to do it on the cheap.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
_

. , .
hi sk8r'...

welcome to the forums and congrats on the new trailer.

make sure it is carefully inspected and EVERYTHING works before u sign for it.

a few local shake down trips before the big one are wise too.

you are planning to cover 7-8,000 MILES on this big trip?

that's 250 miles per day average over a month,

and double that every day IF you stop much along the way...

i'd suggest a trip like this needs 2 months time at a minimum.

and by the end u may be VERY experienced rv'rs.

most road side rest areas 'tolerate' over night stops.

some have formally posted limits like "8 hours" or "no overnight camping"...

but i've never been asked to leave or seen anyone timing us...

in MANY small midwestern towns there is very in expensive camping at city parks or fairgrounds or 'sports complexes'...

they often aren't advertised but some are free or as little as 10$...

finding these value spots requires getting off the big roads and exploring the 2 lanes...

i seldom make reservations, BUT if you wanna camp near any of the famous sites during the summer...

finding spots takes creativity and compromise.

the big issue is trying to cover THAT much ground in only 30 days,

u may miss most of the adventure, fun, kitschy and interesting spots along the route....

which is a BIG part of the rv experience... when the house is right behind ya, stopping is COOL!

"the journey IS the destination" so enjoy !

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Welcome to the forum sk8r29 and congrats on the new rig.

I agree with 2air' on the time required. Thats a lot of territory to cover in one month and to enjoy the journey as well as the visits. We've learned that it is so much more pleasurable to stop and see the country we are traveling through and it's often those memories that stick with us later on rather than the visits with friends and family.

Enjoy your trip and look forward to your posting pictures of your travels.

Barry
Old 03-11-2008, 02:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I have to chip in here as well. We did roughly that itinerary last Summer but took 5 months doing it. Granted, we lollygagged about but I think if you try to do that route in a month you will regret it.

As noted you are planning on averaging hundreds of miles a day. You are also going to visit friends in several locations so unless you plan on just waving to them as you drive by, you will want to drop anchor for awhile. That will ramp up how far you need to get when you are moving. Your trailer will almost certainly stand up to the pace but will you (or, more importantly, your spouse and/or kids)?

While the Wal-Mart or Flying J are easy overnights, neither is exactly a garden spot. Your trailer deserves to be parked next to a lake or in a meadow full of wildflowers.

You might want to rein in your ambitions for your 2008 tour and do a loop through Missouri and North Carolina. Do-able comfortably in a month with time to stop and smell the roses...

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Spring Hill , Florida
Jim ---- I'm from St.Pete too. First - did you trade the 19' in on the 28'?

Next - as a 'newbee' you need to re-think that trip. It's too many miles for a month. I had a 34' AS for 13-14 yr. and any trip we ever took was limited to 3-400 miles/day. Time you stop, get a bite to eat, and 'unwind' for an hour or too ---- the day is gone. Remember there's 'start-up' time in the morning.

Know you'll be having fun ---- but ease into it 'till you know what you can handle.
zekethebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:48 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Mountainair , New Mexico
Not retired yet

Wow, I didn't expect so much feedback from everyone. I really appreciate the responses.
Let me give you a little more data. First, I'm not retired yet and don't have an unlimited time for travel. Second, I've done the trip out west quite a few times in the last half dozen years so I know I can drive 800-1000 miles in a day but I've never tried doing it pulling a trailer. My theory is drive like heck to get there so I have time to spend where I want to be. Third, I have a good friend in Eugene who is dying of Lou Gehrigs disease and I want to spend as much time there as I can. I do have some flex time in my schedule so I don't have to kill myself getting somewhere. Maybe I'll just have to plan on a little more flex.
sk8r29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Sorry to hear about your friend. I'd be hightailing it there to visit as well. It puts all the rest of life's issues in the background when you have an opportunity to go and spend some quality time with a friend who's in need.

Good luck with your trip.

Barry
Old 03-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
Be sure and drive SLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWWWLLLLLYYYYY!
pcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:33 AM   #15
_

. , .
hi sk8r

with time constraints and enough caffeine...

sure u can do it.

towing usually means less milage per day, but not for everyone.

another floridian, pulling aluminum, drove basically straight through to salem 2 summers ago...

i think he made the trip in 3 days, and looked fine.

it would cut 1000 miles (rt) to NOT include north carolina and stick to the big westward interstates, 10, 70, 80, 84, 5....

again the nice thing about pulling the house is the bed, bath and chow are always nearby...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard

Welcome to WallyWorld, this it the best place for all things Airstream!!

Sorry to hear about the reason for your trip.

It sure is an ambitious adventure you have planned.

IMHO, I would suggest several "shakedown" trips with your new trailer

and Durango. Make sure your very comfortable towing. Double ck your set-up

AND BE SAFE
Old 03-12-2008, 03:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hi, and Welcome

I noticed "my wife Amy and I" in your first post.

That is your true key to safely going farther than 300-400 miles per day. You certainly DO have to be ready to do some long distance hauls to see your friend.

Make absolutely sure your wife is as comfortable towing - and as expert - as you are. With a roomy tow vehicle, you can take turns sacking out in the back seat or even the passenger seat while your partner drives. Regardless of who does the majority of the driving, a 2 hour "snooze break" is a great thing to give the primary driver a second wind.

I'm a "Rivette" (single female towing) and I do get road fatigue fairly easily. I frequently pull into a rest stop, use my own private restroom, then sack out for a nap of 15-20 minutes. It is amazing how refreshing that can be. I'm also not normally someone who starts at 5:00 am, but in heavily populated areas, that is an optimal time to start... then take a breakfast break during morning rush.

I do tow at night occasionally - and frankly it can be very dangerous so you have to be super alert. I put myself in this mindset: All deer are trying to commit "suicide by Silverado" and all drivers are angry, psychotic and drunk!

I find a full moon really helps night towing. I also never go off the interstate grid at night, and I also limit my speed to 55 mph after dark - just to have more control if I have to react to anything on the road. When it comes to major congestion after dark... I just get my silver tail off the road until 3:00 am! Then I find a trucker and trail him/her at a safe distance. Let the trucker "troll for troopers and deer".

Be safe and best wishes to both of you. Paula
Old 03-12-2008, 03:06 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8r29
Wow, I didn't expect so much feedback from everyone. I really appreciate the responses.
Let me give you a little more data. First, I'm not retired yet and don't have an unlimited time for travel. Second, I've done the trip out west quite a few times in the last half dozen years so I know I can drive 800-1000 miles in a day but I've never tried doing it pulling a trailer. My theory is drive like heck to get there so I have time to spend where I want to be. Third, I have a good friend in Eugene who is dying of Lou Gehrigs disease and I want to spend as much time there as I can. I do have some flex time in my schedule so I don't have to kill myself getting somewhere. Maybe I'll just have to plan on a little more flex.

Jim:

You can handle the travel. We often cover long miles because we, too, have careers and have to get a lot done in little pieces of time! We try to plan 400-500 miles a day, but often end up with at least one 600 mile 'long' day at the front end of a trip. At those times we schedule a clump of long-driving days and stop when and where we want (for example, from Chicago to the Rocky Mountains, if that's our vacation 'destination').

Some Walmarts, some rest areas, some truck stops, some Flying Js, some wonderful small local campgrounds, we do it all for overnight stops. The great joy is that often they are not overnight. We might pull over at 10 pm, sleep until 4 am, then get going again; we also LOVE mid afternoon naps in rest areas in our own bed!

Tom, and Frank
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote