Old 04-07-2009, 10:38 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Originally Posted by nairnchyz View Post
Ann & Douglas,
One of the things I did to our '74 was relocate the water inlet from the streetside back bumper to curbside under the hot water heater (mid bath). Bob
Hi Bob,
Just curious as to why you chose that spot. We don't often get hookups, but don't most camp sites with water have it located on the street side?

Grant Davidson
Milton, ON

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:58 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
Roblin , MB.
Hi Grant,

I believe you are right about streetside services at campgrounds. Any pictures I see on the forum of A/S hooked up at campgrounds show it that way.

Why did I choose that spot? We purchased our Sovereign in October 2007. It was located on a seasonal lot at Westhawk Lake near the Ontario border. We pulled it home Thanksgiving weekend in 2007. It was getting cold and didn't do much with it at that time. The following spring I hooked it up to water to discover the PO had let it freeze up. It was leaking water like a sieve. Water was even coming out of the belly ahead of the front axle. You probably know this already having a Sovereign, but the water line goes up from the back bumper, through the bedroom, through the closets and then about where the fridge is located it goes down into the belly and across to curbside and surfaces once again under the oven where the water pump is located. I just figured at the time that running all that copper was just asking for trouble in the future and I didn't relish the idea of opening the belly up to repair the burst copper. Also the lines running from the water pump back to the mid bath were bust up bad as well.
So I ripped all the copper out and replaced everything with pex. When I was hooking up the connections by the water heater in the bathroom I had the brainstorm idea that this was the location to bring the city water into the A/S. I had a local welding shop here fabricate an aluminum "box" and put the connection in that. I then got carried away and plumbed outside shower fittings with pex into that same aluminum "box". May never use that feature but it's there now. I still have to remove the copper from the bedroom and closets. The welding shop still has to make up a door for the "box". It's pretty well protected behind the mud flap. I also want to put some of that expandable foam in around the box to fill the belly cavity where I removed insulation as well as a wasp's nest.
If we ever get the A/S on the road I will have to keep in mind that I will need to have approximately another extra 10 - 12' of water hose because of the curside hookup.
Would I do it a second time? Who knows!! I do know that installing pex is not just a Saturday afternoon affair! It is a good feeling to know that I won't have to contend with copper anytime soon.
So that's why the spot is where it is.
Send me a PM and tell me about your Sovereign.

nairnchyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:58 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
You will love your Sovereign when you're able to get him on the road. Dry camping for a try-out is a good idea. We didn't do any major rennovations to ours and have been camping in it from almost the first week. These are great old trailers with lots of room. I have no covered storage for either of my Airstreams and have worked on them in all kinds of weather. When it's nice out you work outside, when it's cold or rainy you work inside. Check out the electrical, gas and wheel bearings and then go to a local campground. Oh yes, hook up the shore water to check for leaks. If the plumbing is good to go....take off for a week-end. Have fun with your rennovation.

Judy At Home in Oklahoma
juel is offline   Reply With Quote