Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2006, 01:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ALGOMA , Wisconsin
"New" 70 Overlander Questions from NE WI

Hi there! After talking about it for a couple of years my baby and I decided to buy an Airstream through E Bay. No horror stories...we had an honorable seller and it was a positive experience! We picked it up a few weeks ago and started our "stewardship" of this great silver beast. It's a 1970 Overlader Intl Double, and while the prev owner did some very nice upgrades (new A/C, TV antenna, power tongue lift) the interior has thankfully been left alone and is in very good condition. We took it on a trial weekend to Copper Falls State Park in far northern Wisc - and despite the constant rain and chill in the air the AS was cozy and we had a great time! Now that we've had it a few weeks I'm thinking about what we can do to restore it, and I need some advice. At one point there was some kind of a royal blue striping tape that covered rivets in an accent channel along the bottom measuring about 3/4 inch wide, and there's a smaller stripe about 1/4 inch wide needing to be replaced as well...any idea where you can get that tape? Also about 1/3 of the roof, and starting to creep down the sides, the clearcoat is missing, and the finish looks dull. Is there a way a do it yourselfer can repair that? I'm planning to get some paint to touch up the faded blue paint accents around the tailights and the AS logos front and rear.
DonFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:25 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFitz
Hi there! After talking about it for a couple of years my baby and I decided to buy an Airstream through E Bay. No horror stories...we had an honorable seller and it was a positive experience! We picked it up a few weeks ago and started our "stewardship" of this great silver beast. It's a 1970 Overlader Intl Double, and while the prev owner did some very nice upgrades (new A/C, TV antenna, power tongue lift) the interior has thankfully been left alone and is in very good condition. We took it on a trial weekend to Copper Falls State Park in far northern Wisc - and despite the constant rain and chill in the air the AS was cozy and we had a great time! Now that we've had it a few weeks I'm thinking about what we can do to restore it, and I need some advice. At one point there was some kind of a royal blue striping tape that covered rivets in an accent channel along the bottom measuring about 3/4 inch wide, and there's a smaller stripe about 1/4 inch wide needing to be replaced as well...any idea where you can get that tape?
Some of that is available from Airstream, in large rolls only, as far as I know. InlandRV used to carry it. They are a forum member.

Quote:
Also about 1/3 of the roof, and starting to creep down the sides, the clearcoat is missing, and the finish looks dull. Is there a way a do it yourselfer can repair that?
Clearcoat failure is very common. You can strip the entire trailer, and have it re-applied, or polish the beast. Search for clear coat, there's lots of info on this.

Quote:
I'm planning to get some paint to touch up the faded blue paint accents around the tailights and the AS logos front and rear.
Some forum member have used Rustoleum's Royal Blue. A close match.

Welcome to the forums, btw.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:31 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Welcome to the forums and congratulations on what sounds to be a fine coach. Post some pic

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:44 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
welcome aboard!

good to see another wisconsinite on the board!

john
Old 05-15-2006, 07:57 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Thumbs up Alls welcome

Welcome aboard. Put up some pics of the new abode. We get over your way several times a year, as our daughter & husband live in Egg Harbor. Wife wants to move to Door Co., but I said I will only go that way if we buy in Algoma. A really pretty town, imho.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote