Old 10-09-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
New 68 Overlander owner

Hello All

I just purchased my first Airstream yesterday. I am pretty sure I will have alot of questions. I am gutting it out and converting it into something else. I have what would seem to be my first dumb question. Once I get it home...do I just plug it in from the house to make sure everything is working. The PO said everything worked when he put the trailer away back in 79.

Thanks

Old 10-09-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
west hills , California
WHOA!!! 79!? Prepare yourself for some things to need replacing simply from non-use.
Congrats on your new Overlander - you'll love it!

Old 10-09-2007, 01:58 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by krikles
WHOA!!! 79!? Prepare yourself for some things to need replacing simply from non-use.
Congrats on your new Overlander - you'll love it!
My main concern is the wheels, bearings and such. I also know that I am going to have to replace some parts of the floor bur I want to do a shell-on replacement.

Do you have an overlander as well?
Old 10-09-2007, 02:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Take a Serious Look at Axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminati
My main concern is the wheels, bearings and such. I also know that I am going to have to replace some parts of the floor bur I want to do a shell-on replacement.
I have a 1967 Overlander. Before spending money on the current axles, evaluate if there is still torsion left to cushion the body from the bumps of road travel. This is cruicial to the overall AS body as a whole. Most axles that are 40 years old have suffered from the rubber rods inside the axle deteriorating. Just something else to consider,
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:13 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
west hills , California
To help answer your original question, you'll need to probably get a new battery to check the systems that work that way - lights, water pump, etc. And make sure you have your propane connected to check those systems - stove, water heater, etc. Then plug something into an outlet, plug in your trailer and check that out too.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:19 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby
Before spending money on the current axles, evaluate if there is still torsion left to cushion the body from the bumps of road travel. This is cruicial to the overall AS body as a whole. Most axles that are 40 years old have suffered from the rubber rods inside the axle deteriorating. Just something else to consider,
If my math is correct, The trailer is 39 years old but it has only had 11years use on the trailer itself...there should be some life left on them..correct?
Old 10-09-2007, 02:24 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
west hills , California
Depsite the fact that the trailer hasn't been pulled, the rubber will still deteriorate from sitting, the elements, etc.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Pictures

Quote:
Depsite the fact that the trailer hasn't been pulled, the rubber will still deteriorate from sitting, the elements, etc.
I have uploades some pictures of her. I have no Idea what name I will give her yet.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:47 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
The roof

Quote:
If I have to stand up on top of the roof...how much weight can the roof take. and where would I stand...to fix and polish the top if needed. Also The interior sees to be some kind of fabric...can this be painted?
Old 10-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
west hills , California
I know some people stand on theirs at the 'ribs' of the trailer but I'm too afraid to do that. I wouldn't have anyone else to blame if I dented it and I'd hate that
Do a search on polishing and another search on interior walls/painting. You may have vinyl covered walls - do they feel kind of sticky? Mine didn't have that so I can't be any help but the search feature is great (even for coming up with a name).
Old 10-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Standing on the roof

I don't know about standing on the roof.....I don't think I would do that.....you might be able to catch a rerun of the DIY show of a remodel of a 1970 Overlander.....he shows you how to do stuff on the roof and I am sure others can tell you how as well.

I wanted to welcome you to the forum and would love to see photos of the inside. We have a 1969 27' Overlander.....take care and don't forget to share your adventure with us...pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Welcome to the Forums - You Got Your First Rivet In Only An Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminati
....The PO said everything worked when he put the trailer away back in 79.
Propane System:

At the minimum replace the rubber hoses (if any) in the propane system and have your local dealer bench test the propane regulator before you pressure up the system. You don't want to throw unregulated pressure to any of the end use devices.

Water System:

Put enough water in the system to pressure it up (either with the onboard pump or via a hose to your house system). Only leave the hose or the pump on for a few seconds - check for leaks - check again.

After sitting for that long there will HAVE to be leaks.

Flooring:

Do LOTS of searching here in the Forums (Search pulldown on upper right portion of you screen, just under the "Welcome" box). Remember, the trailer depends on the frame/floor/shell interface for strength. Any rotted floor along the bottom shell of the trailer will cause heartbreak later on.

Good luck on your project - don't be overwhelmed - lots of help here at airforums.com.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:21 PM   #13
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Did you say gut it and do something else with it inside? If so why test everything to just rip it out. We have a 62 Overlander and love it the way it was and is. Seems like a shame to make it into something else... would be better to take a trailer that some fool has already gutted out and lost interest in if your intension is do do something else with the interior. You see them all the time on ebay, lost and needing love cause someone tore out the inside and realized that they had made a big mistake. If it is still in good shape why not improve what's there. 1968 is a very groovy year. There was one at the rally this weekend and it is so mod feeling. Fix what needs to be fixed, but be careful you don't trash a good thing. Our Overlander spent a lot of time off the road and still has it's original axles, for now they are fine with almost no sag at all. I will keep an eye on it and take action when needed. I suggest you go to a rally near you and have some of the people look it over. Before you do anything let some other eyes look it over. We got so many good suggestions this weekend. Folks had ideas that would have never occurred to me. Welcome to the community, Hope to see you up the road.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Marquette , Michigan
Welcome!

Welcome to the forums! May I say you picked a fab year for your Airstream! Good luck with your "little" project. Lot of great info here on the forums to help you along. What are you planning to do with the inside? BTW, your walls are vinyl covered aluminum. The front "cap" above the sofa or dinette is plastic.