Old 10-10-2007, 02:35 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
I am not keeping anything, stove, bathroom cabinets...nada.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:37 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
At least how it stands right now....

Old 10-10-2007, 02:54 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner
I just ran into this story today...
Sweeet!
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:08 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
I just uploaded some more pictures...The good the bad and the down right ugly!!
Old 10-10-2007, 03:38 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Hey...I posted some pictures of the inside of my trailer. Can someone tell me if the dark lines in the middle of the trailer are leaks? or can it not be detected from a picture.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #34
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I have to unsubscribe... cannot watch what is about to happen. Please send me the final photos because I will remain curious.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:47 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Oh boy!

Hard to tell if the dark lines are leaks or just dirt/mold/mildew from the missing windows. If they have been missing for more than a couple of days/weeks, my guess is you are going to find much more floor damage & frame rust than you may have originally thought. Might be tough to just patch the floor/frame, you may be having to replace the whole thing.

I would start with a good cleaning/stripping and see what's under all that...

Good luck ~

Shari

Old 10-10-2007, 07:14 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Shari...are you saying that this is not worth saving?...be honest. I dont want to throw good money after bad. I had already planed on replacing the entire floor and welding supports on the frame anyway. I dont know how long the windows have been missing, but I do know that it has been setting outside since 79.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:15 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminati
Shari...are you saying that this is not worth saving?.
Can't tell from a couple of pictures. What I was trying to suggest is that you first see what is "just dirt" from exposure and thus cleanable and what is not. Exposure to moisture seems to be an Airstream's worst enemy - continuous exposure to moisture = floor rot & frame rust. A one-time spilled incident with water isn't so bad, but if it's been open to the elements for a couple of years that's a different story.

Every
Airstream is salvageable to one degree or another and this one looks like a good candidate for what you have in mind - a strip & redo into a cafe/diner. I would hate to see one that is pristine being gutted for that...your shell looks good - IMO, everything else should be assumed to be a re-do. Seems to me, to get this one (or any trailer) in shape for a commercial kitchen it will have to be stripped to the bones anyways. The gas, water, waste, electrical, exhaust, hood(?), etc. plus all the added weight for equipment - this is not a simple undertaking. I work with my clients designing restaurants, they are more involved than most imagine (but I'm sure you know that!) especially when food prep & the health department get involved ~

On the other hand ~ our '56 looked okay to some (if you like sponge-paint & flowers), but we've gutted it down to the frame....and it's going to remain a camper. They almost always end up taking more work than originally expected when the romance begins. But it is rewarding when the work is complete!

Shari

Old 10-10-2007, 08:32 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
...are you saying that this is not worth saving?...be honest.
I'll let Shari add her own two cents, but here is what my thoughts are.

The good... 28 years of sitting seems to have left a trailer with a pretty unscathed, unmolested outer shell.

The bad... 28 years of sitting seems to have allowed huge amounts of water to reach the inside. This is especially evident by the think furry stuff on the accordian door between the kitchen and the bedroom.

The fact that you are planning on an alternate use and don't need the interior is working in your favor, but this trailer may need MAJOR structural reconstruction. If you can, take a good flashlight and cordless drill and drill out some of the rivets holding up the belly pan. It won't take that much rivet removal to get a pretty good peek at most of the frame. If the main frame rails look like Swiss cheese, you will likely need a new frame. If just the cross rails are bad you can likely just replace them... not too hard with the floor out. Take a close look because it is likely that things will look worse when you get things apart.

I see other trailers in your pictures... is this a trailer dealer... or the "elephant graveyard?" A dealer should be well aware of the likely condition of this trailer and should have been up front about it. Either way, I hope you got it REAL cheap.

Keep us up to date on what you find... keep an open but critical mind. When you get a list of what you'll need to do there are many folks here who can give you a good idea what it will cost.
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:27 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner
I'll let Shari add her own two cents, but here is what my thoughts are.

The good... 28 years of sitting seems to have left a trailer with a pretty unscathed, unmolested outer shell.

The bad... 28 years of sitting seems to have allowed huge amounts of water to reach the inside. This is especially evident by the think furry stuff on the accordian door between the kitchen and the bedroom.

The fact that you are planning on an alternate use and don't need the interior is working in your favor, but this trailer may need MAJOR structural reconstruction. If you can, take a good flashlight and cordless drill and drill out some of the rivets holding up the belly pan. It won't take that much rivet removal to get a pretty good peek at most of the frame. If the main frame rails look like Swiss cheese, you will likely need a new frame. If just the cross rails are bad you can likely just replace them... not too hard with the floor out. Take a close look because it is likely that things will look worse when you get things apart.

I see other trailers in your pictures... is this a trailer dealer... or the "elephant graveyard?" A dealer should be well aware of the likely condition of this trailer and should have been up front about it. Either way, I hope you got it REAL cheap.

Keep us up to date on what you find... keep an open but critical mind. When you get a list of what you'll need to do there are many folks here who can give you a good idea what it will cost.
Well, It is an outside RV storage yard. The PO I purchased it from was IMHO...on the up and up about everything. I am afraid to say how much I paid for it.... ...$500. As soon as I get it home...I can do more assessment of the frame. I did get to look under the trailer through...the belly pan is clearing the ground by...I say 6 inches...and the belly "looks" untouched.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:20 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Well, It is an outside RV storage yard. The PO I purchased it from was IMHO...on the up and up about everything. I am afraid to say how much I paid for it.... ...$500. As soon as I get it home...I can do more assessment of the frame. I did get to look under the trailer through...the belly pan is clearing the ground by...I say 6 inches...and the belly "looks" untouched.
If the PO was straight with you... that's good. $500 is not a bad price, especially if the frame is not too bad. As a comparison, a guy in the Toronto area who posts here had a '67 Overlander for sale "for parts" a while back that was in much better condition than this one and he was asking $1000.

If you can move the trailer out of the hole it's in, you should be able to get at the frame as I described. If it looks like the main frame rails are OK, you'll have done OK. If not, you may want to consider negotiating yourself out of this purchase. You won't know unless you take a look though.

Keep your chin up... just get it out of the mud and if things check out... home into your driveway.
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:59 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Now I am feeling buyers remorse....There is so much that I dont know...my trailer is two hrs away from me...and with my luck...it looks like it is not going to be good when I do....
I am just thinking about how much it is going to cost me in time and money if I have to weld a frame from scratch! and I know enough about mig welding to get myself into trouble.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:09 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Deal or No Deal....

As Howie Mandel would say..."For $500 you made a good deal!"

Don't have buyers remorse (have you checked the Price vs Condition Guide?)...just be realistic in your restoration project. At $500 you paid less than "basket case" condition...that's a great deal! Once you have it in your possession, can get started cleaning it up and "dig-in", it will be fun and very rewarding to watch the transformation!

Shari