Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
byamcaravanner's Avatar
 
1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,180
Cool find!

Just a guess, but based on the picts you posted, I would expect that nothing works. It looks like there are at least a couple of windows missing. Have they been missing most of the 28 years it's been parked? Also considering that the wheels are buried to the axles, I would assume the brakes are not functional. The good news is that these things seem to have incredible longevity and if it truly has only seen 11 years of actual use it's likely not been shaken up by long miles on stiff axles. Post more picts when you get into it. I'm very interested in seeing how it has faired after three decades of "rest."

As Jess says... you picked a good year.

Good Luck!
__________________

__________________
Steve & the crew
'70 Ambassador International Twin
'63 19' Globetrotter TAC WI-1
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:17 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
 
1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 117
Images: 11
I am trying to get some measurements from the trailer....I am a couple of hrs away from it at this time...have not brought it home yet. Tires...What size? What is the overall hight of the trailer including the Air unit.
__________________

__________________
Aluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:30 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
 
1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 117
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.PenAir
Welcome to the forums! May I say you picked a fab year for your Airstream! Good luck with your "little" project. Lot of great info here on the forums to help you along. What are you planning to do with the inside? BTW, your walls are vinyl covered aluminum. The front "cap" above the sofa or dinette is plastic.
I am sorry...I am trying not to sound like an idiot...but why was this a good year? When I first saw pictures of her she was a beauty...(to me at least) even in her "condition". I think I have figured out a name for her....Nina.

If the walls are vinyl covered aluminum...can I strip the vinyl off? I was planning on rebuiding her but I am going open an outdoor cafe with her, So I am going to install a commercial kitchen.

Now before you say Im pots, I know that I will have to gut it to the beams, install updated electric and weld supports for the floor etc. But I think it can be done and look pretty darn good.


Thoughts....
__________________
Aluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master
 
byamcaravanner's Avatar
 
1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminati
I am sorry...I am trying not to sound like an idiot...but why was this a good year?...
Good Year?...Because '67 and '68 were unique unto themselves and because we each have a trailer from one of those years. LOL!

They are best characterized by the curved frameless glass windows and the fact that they were the last of the flared bottom rear end.

The café is a cool plan!
__________________
Steve & the crew
'70 Ambassador International Twin
'63 19' Globetrotter TAC WI-1
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:39 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
 
U.PenAir's Avatar
 
1968 24' Tradewind
Marquette , Michigan
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by wader
Good Year?...Because '67 and '68 were unique unto themselves and because we each have a trailer from one of those years. LOL!
Ain't that the truth!

The vinyl portion of the walls can be stripped. If you do a search on the forums there is information on how to go about it. The big thing to consider is what to do with the plastic end (it's where the cabinet and speakers are built into at the front). For now I will try to give my walls a good scrubbing and see how that works.
I would recommend reading through Sequoiacoast's thread about the restoration of her '68 Tradewind.
Let us know when the café is open for business...I make through A2 a few times a year.
__________________
Jess
U.PenAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
TomW's Avatar
 
1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,918
Images: 2
From the owner's manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminati
I am trying to get some measurements from the trailer....I am a couple of hrs away from it at this time...have not brought it home yet. Tires...What size? What is the overall hight of the trailer including the Air unit.


Add around eight inches for the AC.

Tires are "Load Range C" by today's nomenclature.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master
 
TomW's Avatar
 
1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,918
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wader
...Because '67 and '68 were unique unto themselves ...
I thought '66, '67, and '68 were unique Airstreams.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:17 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
 
1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 117
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW

Add around eight inches for the AC.

Tires are "Load Range C" by today's nomenclature.

Tom
THANK YOU, THANK YOU , THANK YOU...YOU ARE DA MAN!!!
__________________
Aluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:19 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member
 
1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 117
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
I thought '66, '67, and '68 were unique Airstreams.

Tom
small world...I've been to your website before I purchased my overlander and became a member of this forum
__________________
Aluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:24 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
 
1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 117
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW


Add around eight inches for the AC.

Tires are "Load Range C" by today's nomenclature.

Tom

I have another thing I am trying to figure out. How wide is the door. Trying to find under counter refrigeration that will fit. Or I was thinking about taking the the back panel off (between the lights) and making an access hatch to fit the refrigeration through. Then...if a piece of equipment breaks down... I can move it out the back.
__________________
Aluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:02 PM   #25
Rivet Master
 
byamcaravanner's Avatar
 
1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
I thought '66, '67, and '68 were unique Airstreams.

Tom
Tom,

You are right... I mentally exclude '66s because they still use the pre-'67/68 bath fixtures. Just the way my brain works... No real good reason... '66 is also a good year.

BTW, it's also interesting that the interiors of the '69s are very similar to the 67-68 but the exterior changed dramatically... seems the A/S folks do their make-overs half at a time.
__________________
Steve & the crew
'70 Ambassador International Twin
'63 19' Globetrotter TAC WI-1
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master
 
byamcaravanner's Avatar
 
1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminati
I was planning on rebuiding her but I am going open an outdoor cafe with her, So I am going to install a commercial kitchen.
I just ran into this story today... thought it might serve as inspiration.

Cupcakes Take The Cake: Austin's Hey Cupcake! - Cupcakes stand in an Airstream trailer

__________________
Steve & the crew
'70 Ambassador International Twin
'63 19' Globetrotter TAC WI-1
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:52 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member
 
1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 117
Images: 11
Someday soon...but It looks like Ive got alot of work ahead of me. First things first. Gotta get her home. Just being on the forum has saved me so much money...I was going to try and remove all of the vinyl clad aluminum...now I know I can just peel it off by using that Jasco stripper! I still want to take off all the panels to make sure that everything is clean and well insulated. I will need to run new electric wire anyway. So is there a market for the stuff I am going to get rid of...Stove...refer...goucho...etc?
__________________
Aluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:09 PM   #28
Rivet Master
 
byamcaravanner's Avatar
 
1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminati
So is there a market for the stuff I am going to get rid of...Stove...refer...goucho...etc?
You can post it on the classifieds here... or there is always eBay. Some of the "little" parts will likely get you the most money... cabinet latches and light fixtures etc...

Are you keeping the bathroom? I could use the plastic piece that runs along the back wall under the window from behind the toilet and over to the sink.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bath_fixture3[1].jpg
Views:	56
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	46941  
__________________

__________________
Steve & the crew
'70 Ambassador International Twin
'63 19' Globetrotter TAC WI-1
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new owner of 69 overlander dragonflyt.o Member Introductions 3 10-09-2007 07:42 PM
Possible new owner of '69 Overlander Hind-Sight Member Introductions 0 06-30-2006 11:51 AM
Hi Everyone! New owner of a '74 Overlander lessen Member Introductions 6 06-02-2006 09:26 PM
new owner '72 overlander TimM Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes 8 05-24-2006 01:30 AM
New owner of 74 overlander jetstream Member Introductions 1 04-22-2006 03:15 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.