Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2019, 09:20 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
New 33FB Classic

Picked up my new AS Classic last Tuesday at Leasure Time RV in Oklahoma City. Spent a couple days in nearby campground to check all functions and for most part ok but no hot water, and cold showers. Back to dealer and they bled the system. Checked hot water and ok but did not check duration and headed home. Upon arriving home, Rayford Crossing RV Resort in Spring, TX., still haven’t been able to take a reasonable shower, 10 min or less, without running out of hot water after about 4 or 5 minutes. Heats the coach well and makes really hot water for short periods. I am using the boost setting for showers. Anyone else with Alde system experienced these problems? Possible solutions? Hopefully not everyone is taking cold showers. In all other aspects, after some dealer and QC issues, the 33 Classic is all I hoped it would be. Been RVing since 1989 and went full time 6 years ago with a 38’ Foretravel U320. Cancer took my wife of 47 years 2 1/2 years ago so downsizing a bit. The U320 left some big shoes to fill but if I can get a hot shower, the AS appears up to the task.
Any advice from Alde users is appreciated. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0421.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	742.2 KB
ID:	334091
BillB51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome from Colorado: Congratulations on your new Classic, the top of the line Airstream. They are beautiful. Here is what the top of the line Airstream looked like back in 1986. It pales compared to your new rig.

My condolences to you are yours. Never easy. May you have happy travels and happy memories on your hikes.

I just bet Airstream did not plan on everyone taking cold showers in a Classic. There is something not right, and you and your dealer will get it sorted out. There is a mile long thread concerning the "efficient" ALDE hot water heat and water heater combo. You might want to read it over. Search ALDE. My old Airstreams don't have this fancy system. I hope someone will chime in with some clues about what's going on.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1804 Tucson Lemons (Small).JPG
Views:	236
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	334129  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:52 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
Nice looking rig & trailer.
Am truly sorry for your loss.47 years is amazing. I feel like a pup with only 15 under my belt.
May your travels be safe and sound. Hopefully you can get some hot water!
Brandon T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:32 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Welcome from Colorado: Congratulations on your new Classic, the top of the line Airstream. They are beautiful. Here is what the top of the line Airstream looked like back in 1986. It pales compared to your new rig.

My condolences to you are yours. Never easy. May you have happy travels and happy memories on your hikes.

I’m I just bet Airstream did not plan on everyone taking cold showers in a Classic. There is something not right, and you and your dealer will get it sorted out. There is a mile long thread concerning the "efficient" ALDE hot water heat and water heater combo. You might want to read it over. Search ALDE. My old Airstreams don't have this fancy system. I hope someone will chime in with some clues about what's going on.

David

Thanks David! I’m reading and learning more about the Alde. It appears to have several “bleeding” sites to remove air out of the system. That is most likely the issue and hopefully I can resolve it. Love the trailer and hope it last as long as your beautiful rig.
BillB51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #5
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB51 View Post
Picked up my new AS Classic last Tuesday at Leasure Time RV in Oklahoma City. Spent a couple days in nearby campground to check all functions and for most part ok but no hot water, and cold showers. Back to dealer and they bled the system. Checked hot water and ok but did not check duration and headed home. Upon arriving home, Rayford Crossing RV Resort in Spring, TX., still haven’t been able to take a reasonable shower, 10 min or less, without running out of hot water after about 4 or 5 minutes. Heats the coach well and makes really hot water for short periods. I am using the boost setting for showers. Anyone else with Alde system experienced these problems? Possible solutions? Hopefully not everyone is taking cold showers. In all other aspects, after some dealer and QC issues, the 33 Classic is all I hoped it would be. Been RVing since 1989 and went full time 6 years ago with a 38’ Foretravel U320. Cancer took my wife of 47 years 2 1/2 years ago so downsizing a bit. The U320 left some big shoes to fill but if I can get a hot shower, the AS appears up to the task.
Any advice from Alde users is appreciated. Attachment 334091
Hi BillB51,

Congratulations on your new Airstream! We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 02-22-2019, 10:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB51 View Post
Thanks David! I’m reading and learning more about the Alde. It appears to have several “bleeding” sites to remove air out of the system. That is most likely the issue and hopefully I can resolve it. Love the trailer and hope it last as long as your beautiful rig.
The other possibility is that the temperature control valve on the Alde needs adjusting to get hotter water out of the system, There are several threads on making this adjustment, but I think this is the main one:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f540...on-159190.html

Have a look, and see if the mixing valve needs adjusting to make the Alde output hot water a bit hotter...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum, Bill!

FYI the new search function in the blue box above [desktop version of this site] works great. Here are the results for "Alde no hot water" FYI:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Alde...=airforums.com

David may have been referring to this Alde thread IMO:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f540...de-162472.html

Ugh . . . over 50 pages long,l but lots of good info it seems.

Condolences for your loss, and good luck with the new Airstream.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote