Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-01-2006, 02:52 AM   #1
Rivet Master
 
SteSpot's Avatar
 
1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,641
Images: 17
New 1969 27' Overlander

Just wanted to let you know we settled on a 1969 27' Overlander that has apparently been well cared for and the PO has done a nice job of refurbishing. We are totally new to trailering (backpackers who are looking for some creature comforts) and have received some valuable advice from this forum.

We were lusting after a new 27' FB but were convinced by some forum members that towing it with our Toyota Tundra wasn't the best idea. So we found 27' that weighs 4800 pounds--not 5900 pounds and I wanted a "Vintage" trailer anyway. At the moment it cost less $. However, after watching the DIY Airstream renovation, my husband is getting ideas about how to make ours look like a new one....but I say one step at a time. We got her registered with the DMV (no small task) and the next step is to have her fully checked out to see what works and what doesn't. We look forward to joining a California rally some time soon.

This forum has been a wonderful resource....thank you all for all the time you spend sharing really good information. pj
__________________

__________________
Paula & Ed
Suite Spot
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline  
Old 11-01-2006, 04:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
balrgn's Avatar
 
1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,410
Images: 74
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpoll
Just wanted to let you know we settled on a 1969 27' Overlander that has apparently been well cared for and the PO has done a nice job of refurbishing. We are totally new to trailering (backpackers who are looking for some creature comforts) and have received some valuable advice from this forum.

We were lusting after a new 27' FB but were convinced by some forum members that towing it with our Toyota Tundra wasn't the best idea. So we found 27' that weighs 4800 pounds--not 5900 pounds and I wanted a "Vintage" trailer anyway. At the moment it cost less $. However, after watching the DIY Airstream renovation, my husband is getting ideas about how to make ours look like a new one....but I say one step at a time. We got her registered with the DMV (no small task) and the next step is to have her fully checked out to see what works and what doesn't. We look forward to joining a California rally some time soon.

This forum has been a wonderful resource....thank you all for all the time you spend sharing really good information. pj
Welcome ! Sounds like you found a nice rig, post pics when you can! Happy hiking!
__________________

__________________
'74 Overlander (T-O-Bee)
'46 Spartan Manor (Rosie)
'54 Cruiser (Bogart)
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline  
Old 11-01-2006, 05:20 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
1965 26' Overlander
gravel switch , Kentucky
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 37
welcome fellow overlander. hope we'll be seeing you down the road. regards, dave
__________________
65overlander is offline  
Old 11-01-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Zeppelinium's Avatar

 
1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,908
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpoll
Just wanted to let you know we settled on a 1969 27' Overlander that has apparently been well cared for and the PO has done a nice job of refurbishing. ...after watching the DIY Airstream renovation, my husband is getting ideas about how to make ours look like a new one....but I say one step at a time.
If you catch your husband peering into the cabinets and looking in RV parts catalogs you only have two choices--shoot him immediately or resign yourself to commiting all your 'excess' cash and time to remodeling.

Hey, I used to say "I spent a lot of money on women and booze, the rest I just wasted" but now I can add "women, booze, and my Airstreams..."

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline  
Old 11-01-2006, 11:28 AM   #5
Frank S
 
1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 316
Hi pjpoll--Your 1969 27' Overlander will probably weigh in about 5800lbs when you are loaded and ready to hit the road. Our 1973 27' Overlander, road ready, weighs 6400lbs on the axles and at least 600lbs more on the hitch. Be sure your Tundra and hitch can handle the road ready weight.--Frank S
__________________
Frank S is offline  
Old 11-01-2006, 12:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
SteSpot's Avatar
 
1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,641
Images: 17
New 1969 27' Overlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank S
Hi pjpoll--Your 1969 27' Overlander will probably weigh in about 5800lbs when you are loaded and ready to hit the road. Our 1973 27' Overlander, road ready, weighs 6400lbs on the axles and at least 600lbs more on the hitch. Be sure your Tundra and hitch can handle the road ready weight.--Frank S
We have a public scale that is less than a mile away from our storage place and the guy there suggested that when we get loaded up that we come back by and re-weigh the trailer, hitch and truck. The hitch ball is an Eaz lift with weight distribution bars (no sway control yet). I think it is rated for 1000 lb. on the hitch. The Tundra is a V8 4 x 4 with trailer package that is rated to tow 6900 pounds so I think we are okay. Perhaps we should diet a bit before hitting the road. Is there something else I am missing?

Thanks for the welcoming posts. pj
__________________
Paula & Ed
Suite Spot
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline  
Old 11-01-2006, 12:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
SteSpot's Avatar
 
1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,641
Images: 17
New 1969 27' Overlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
Welcome ! Sounds like you found a nice rig, post pics when you can! Happy hiking!
I have pics but am not sure how to post or where to post! Any hints? pj
__________________
Paula & Ed
Suite Spot
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline  
Old 11-01-2006, 01:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
Zeppelinium's Avatar

 
1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,908
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
when you post, you'll see a little paper clip in the incons above the text area. click on it and then browse for your files. make sure they are within the size restriction (something like 800x1000 pixels). you then upload them with one click on the upload button ... wait...wait... then you "insert" them into your message where you cursor is, by clicking on the paper clip again and you can either "insert all" or you can do them one at a time in various locations in your text.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline  
Old 11-01-2006, 01:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
balrgn's Avatar
 
1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,410
Images: 74
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpoll
I have pics but am not sure how to post or where to post! Any hints? pj
When you make a post, down below the text box there is a button to Manage Attachments. Use that, you can browse your Hard Drive to locate the pics. Search for one at a time. Only catch is the file can't be too large, 1024 x 768 I think it the limit.
Or you can post them in the Photos area. See tab above. Pretty much the same way to load them there

Looking forward to seeing them!
__________________
'74 Overlander (T-O-Bee)
'46 Spartan Manor (Rosie)
'54 Cruiser (Bogart)
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline  
Old 11-01-2006, 02:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
SteSpot's Avatar
 
1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,641
Images: 17
New 1969 27' Overlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
When you make a post, down below the text box there is a button to Manage Attachments. Use that, you can browse your Hard Drive to locate the pics. Search for one at a time. Only catch is the file can't be too large, 1024 x 768 I think it the limit.
Or you can post them in the Photos area. See tab above. Pretty much the same way to load them there

Looking forward to seeing them!
I posted photos on in the Photo Gallery but I didn't see anyway to see the size of the file so am not sure if they were too big or not. Also, I couldn't find them after I posted them so will try to put them in the message here as well.

I just tried to attach them and they are too big....not sure how to make them smaller...thanks, pj
Attached Images
 
__________________
Paula & Ed
Suite Spot
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline  
Old 11-01-2006, 03:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
SteSpot's Avatar
 
1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,641
Images: 17
New 1969 27' Overlander

I will try again to post here.....not sure where the ones I tried to post on the photo gallery went.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Suite Spot 001.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	27892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Suite Spot 006.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	27893  

Attached Images
   
__________________
Paula & Ed
Suite Spot
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline  
Old 11-01-2006, 04:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
SteSpot's Avatar
 
1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,641
Images: 17
New 1969 27' Overlander

One more thing. Does this look like an original rock guard? thanks, pj

Note added 3/30/08:

"At the end of the year (2007) we were broadsided on our way to Death Valley in Baker, CA. The insurance company decided to total the trailer so she has now entered the salvage world-ultimate fate unknown."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Suite Spot 022.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	27896  
__________________

__________________
Paula & Ed
Suite Spot
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First shower in my 1975 Overlander !!! pjtaia Our Community 14 07-05-2015 01:46 PM
1966 Overlander International Double Tamara 1966 Overlander 30 03-28-2006 03:55 PM
'58 Overlander in need ! scooter 1954 - 1959 Overlander 6 12-29-2002 11:21 AM
1976 Overlander davidz71 Our Community 2 09-24-2002 08:48 PM
2-door Overlander InsideOut 1960 - 1964 Overlander 0 08-30-2002 09:14 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.