Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2017, 01:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
1973 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
New 1967 Globe Trotter owners from Alberta, Canada

Hi Everyone,

My family (wife and five year old twins) and I recently purchased a 1967 Globe Trotter 20'. We live in Calgary, Albert, Canada. Looking forward to connecting with, learning from an contributing to members on this forum. Any Canadian members with vintage Airstream owners on here?

We are also excited to get out and enjoy camping with it this year!

Our not so quick back story. We used to have 1973 13' Boler but sold it to get something a little bigger to accommodate our growing family. We were looking to get another vintage fiberglass trailer in a larger size like a 17' Boler or Bigfoot. But always wanted an Airstream but they're pretty rare in my area. But I had some time to search as the kids were young and not ready for camping. More to the truth they were young an we weren't prepared to take them camping.

Looked at classifieds on and off again over two years and almost bought two other trailers but was a day or phone call late. One was a 17' Bigfoot and the other I missed out on was a 1950s Airstream Bubble 16' for $5000. I missed it due to having to work late and someone else swooped in and got it. If there is Forum section for the one that got away I'll post the story there.

In the end it worked out for the best and I found and purchased a 1967 20' Globe Trotter. I followed a picture less classified ad three hours North into farmland to land the trailer $6000 (about $5000US dollars). In my opinion it was in great condition for a 50 year old trailer.

Mostly original with a few updates done in the late 70s o 80s. Such as AC, cushions, etc. I would call it road worthy with working appliances but not wife worthy as it was dirty and recently housed some mice and not so cleanly minded rig workers. The trailer had been used in Fort Mac (Alberta Oil Sands) to rent to rig workers on site. Not to create a negative stereotype of rig workers but the empty beer cans and mice poop meant keeping it clean wasn't their first priority.

The trailer purchase itself was an adventure that included the seller refusing to count the cash ($6000) because a "handshake is as good as counting" and then promptly losing the cash which resulted in a twenty minute search. Fortunately, the stand off of him eyeing me up and questioning whether I some how took he envelope of cash back without him knowing ended with him finding the cash in his truck (he put it there when he went to get smokes and forgot).

Now the trailer is in my backyard and what started as a small reno (new cushions, paint, etc.) has grown a little (kind of like how this short introduction post has grown). Reno expansion isn't due to a lot of hidden flaws but the normal scope creep of any project and removal of the asbestos tiles! I got my tiles and mastic (glue) tested by a lab. I'll post the results and pictures of my trailer soon.

Clocks ticking on my renos as summer is almost here, so I got to get outside and get tinkering. My wife and I will be posting reno pics and questions. Thanks in advance for all your future help .
Airdreamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi and welcome to the Airstream community. You jumped in the deep end with both feet and no flotation devices! Renewing these vintage Airsteams is a great hobby. I'm glad your "recovery mission" went okay and your Globe Trotter is safely on your property.

You will have to get Sheppard's book "Restoring a Dream" and read about his adventures restoring a vintage Airstream. It is a great read. You can order on the internet if you like.

https://www.amazon.com/Restoring-Dre.../dp/1480280577

I have a 66 Trade Wind 24' that I have renewed to "travel ready" status. And my son has a 69 Globe Trotter 21' that I have done considerable repairs. 69 was the first year of the new body style.

So grab your tool bucket and have at it. I did my "condition assessment" on the initial thorough cleaning, making a rather extensive list of things that needed attention. And like you said, one thing leads to another and the next thing you know your Airstream is in many pieces.

These Air Forums have been invaluable to me in my Airstream hobby. You will value your participation.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1505 Home Street Front (Small).jpg
Views:	117
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	283079   Click image for larger version

Name:	1507 Fridge Installed (Small).jpg
Views:	109
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	283080  

Name:	1606 Camping 2 (Small).JPG
Views:	132
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	283081   Click image for larger version

Name:	1604 Dinette Done 2 (Small).jpg
Views:	114
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	283082  

dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:40 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
1973 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Thank you for the welcome and the book recommendation David. I think I'll pick up the book but with a long list of to do's for the trailer reading it my have to wait.

I'm in a mind battle right now about what should I get done now and what can wait. I feel now that I have removed the cabinets, appliances and bathroom to get all the VAT tile out I might as well change out the copper water pipe for pex, update the water heater, replace the water tank, etc. but at the time I want to get it camping ready ASAP. My fall back is I can always camp in the shell as a shiny tent and finish creature comforts later
Old 04-10-2017, 08:38 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
1973 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
David, I also wanted to say both your Airstream and you son's look amazing! Thanks for posting the pics, looking at them inspired me to keep at it with mine.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Thank you for the kind words. Truth be known, they are probably more "average" than amazing. But both are quite a bit better than they were when we bought them. I enjoy working on these old Airstreams; it's a brain disorder I think.

One thing I've learn through the years is it takes about 10 times longer to put it back together than it does taking it apart. And there are a lot of aluminum tents out there as folks use their trailers waiting for time and money for the next renovation aspect of the project.

I'm done with my winter projects on the son's trailer. I'll take some photos of the interior now. It's better I think.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cold Lake , Alberta
Any updates on this? I'd love to see some pictures and hear some stories!
Mikeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:47 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Yes this is due for a update.

How's the Reno coming along?
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Were you guys talking about me? Okay, I did say I would post of couple of pictures of the 69 Globetrotter interior. I installed a new fridge, big $$$, then a "pantry" next to it. I also put a plywood countertop over both. I made two new bulkhead walls, one for the bedroom, and one at the entry door. I installed a new black tank, dump valve, and toilet. And we clicked together some new floor covering. At least it's better than it was. The son likes it well enough.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1703 Bedroom Wall New 1 (Mobile).JPG
Views:	71
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	290714   Click image for larger version

Name:	1703 Toilet Set (Small).JPG
Views:	102
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	290715