Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
san diego , California
New 1966 Sovereign owners.

Hello all! Well we did it. We bought our first airstream, a 66 sovereign. Which needs some love, it's not bad, very good on the outside. The inside isn't terrible either, just needs some flooring (took out the pos peel n stick) a new refrigerator front sofa/bed (goucho I think it's called) 2 missing windows (ordering next week)
What is a problem is that the po used it as an office, removing the goucho and building a desk in its place. Also they replaced the toilet with a porcelain residential model. In order to plumb the toilet to city waste, they board a hole clear through the belly pan, and holding tank.
The trailer must have been in cold country at some point, I can tell because one of the copper supply lines burst near the fridge. Also plus cause there's a dealer decal on it from Montana
Another problem is the electrical, it seems that the fuse box is original and in good shape, and the uvolt (I think it's called) looks unmolested, but was hiding in the rear corner next to the water heater, not bolted down. I don't know if this the correct location for it, and I'm a little scared to try it out. It's pretty dusty/rusty looking inside.
Speaking of the water tank it looks pretty big, it's like 4' I think. I don't know how they even got it in there, unless it was from the inside. I'm going with a tankless BTW.
Oh and the "control panel" you know the thing you see with the clock and barometer and switches and gauges? Yea it doesn't have one of those. Inside the bathroom cabinet there's a battery gauge, and that's it.
There's 2 other copper pipes cut in the bathroom, probably because it was hooked up to city? Who knows?
Oh I have no idea about the brakes, as the wires at the tongue have been cut. I'm pretty confident I can do most all of the work, as I also have resurrected a 71 vw westy, a 59 aljo canned ham among other projects. I just have no idea where things come from,or go to, without a book or manual. Anyone know where I can get one? I'll post pictures when I get to my computer, I'm sending this from my phone. Thanks so much, Glen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130806_174027.png
Views:	89
Size:	518.7 KB
ID:	192580  
66calstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
san diego , California
Oh, looks like I can post pictures from my fone! Here's the bathroom, it's gonna be rough for me to shower in, as I'm 6.4". The tub is perfect for our 15 month old however.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130806_174408.png
Views:	93
Size:	455.6 KB
ID:	192581  
Old 08-07-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
66 was a very good year! we are doing frame work right now but it has been a challenge. wife said that she loves the airstream cuz you can stand up and not hit your head! Okay her head cuz I have some new dings in mine! congrats and good luck on your project.
Cliff
Old 08-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
san diego , California
Thanks Cliff, is yours a sovereign?
Old 08-08-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
No it's a caravel but I am looking at and for an overlander and plan to renovate or just undo the ravages of time.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
san diego , California
Shoulda known from your handle! Cheers!

Tags
1966, 1966 sovereign, sovereign