Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
New 16' Sport- New Introduction

OK I am re-introducing myself because now I am a STREAMER!

Bought my brand new 2012 16 Sport yesterday in San Diego. After waiting most of the day for setup and wiring of my 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, I drove off the lot with my new toy, and spent my first overnighter at a nearby rv camp in SD.

Got a Reese Dual Cam wd/antisway hitch with a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 brake controller. Also saved 1000 bucks over an offer I had in Corona, CA.

After a drive home of almost 100 miles it is finally parked and electrified in my backyard.

It's shiny and new and I am enjoying exploring all the nooks and crannies, and checking out the extensive collection of literature that came with it.

The bed is comfortable, and the heater works well. It traveled nicely with my Jeep, despite warnings to the contrary. I will probably add a transmission cooler to the mix, just to be safe.

So far I am very pleased with my investment. It is like a rare sports car. I didn't see another AS in the park or on the highway.

I will add pix later.

-Rich
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings From the Florida Panhandle

Congratulations on the new baby!!! We would sure love to see some pictures.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Be sure to post pictures as soon as you can! How did your first tow with it go?

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Rich

Congratulations on your new Airstream. I can feel your excitement and pride through your post. I think that your Jeep will do just fine after you add a transmission cooler. A lot depends on how you drive it too. Drive it gently and give yourself extra space to react and you will be fine.

Your life will be forever changed.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Yes, congrats and welcome to the world of Airstreaming...you're in a for a great ride! Hope to see you down the road!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #6
The Hen House

2011 23' International
Grand Blanc , Michigan
From one Bambi to another....nice to meet you! Sounds like you are off to a great start. Guess this will be a really Happy New Year for you and yours. Congratulations.

Mellen60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #7

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Isn't the first night in your new AS great! Have fun playing with and exploring all your new AS has to offer! Post lots of pictures!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
Congratulations, Rich...you're in for some fun times! Hope you at least get a little "driveway" camping in this weekend. We slept in ours on the driveway for the first two weeks

Looking forward to your photos!

-Kim

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Congratulations Rich
I followed your other thread with interest due to your buying experience with those two dealerships. Sounds like the San Diego dealership won you over.
Lets see those pictures!
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Be sure to post pictures as soon as you can! How did your first tow with it go?
Tow went well. First night tow was during San Diego rush hour, so was a little intimidating, but the AS tracked nicely and I had less than 10 miles travel to a pull-thru site nearby. Set the stabilizers, plugged in and crashed for the night without even unhitching. Heater worked great in the 40 degree night temp.

Next day got to experience more surface street traffic, the fun of switching lanes with limited visibility, freeway driving, wind, 18 wheelers, and climbing long freeway hills.

Tow speed limit in California is 55 mph. I think me and a couple gravel trucks were the only ones obeying it. But it does seem to be the speed my jeep was rated for, for towing. Not a problem. No sign of overheating (engine at least), but I do plan to add a tranny cooler.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellen60 View Post
From one Bambi to another....nice to meet you! Sounds like you are off to a great start. Guess this will be a really Happy New Year for you and yours. Congratulations.
Yes, we have to stick together,especially the 16 footers. I love your pics! Your galley is set up with more room than mine. There is no room to set a microwave on the counter, and I didn't get the built in overhead, so I am weighing options.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
Isn't the first night in your new AS great! Have fun playing with and exploring all your new AS has to offer! Post lots of pictures!
Quote:
Originally Posted by valmog View Post
Congratulations, Rich...you're in for some fun times! Hope you at least get a little "driveway" camping in this weekend. We slept in ours on the driveway for the first two weeks

Looking forward to your photos!

-Kim
I keep finding more pamphets and brochures, etc. My first night was a quick turnaround as I said above. But last night I camped at home with water and power attached. I am writing this from my dinette now.

I got to try the water system, everything EXCEPT using the toilet. Correction: everything with city water attached. Still haven't used the holding tank yet.

Biggest challenge I expected was taking a shower. It accutually wasn't bad, and the water was nice and hot. I cleaned up after with a towel and it looks new again. Once I start using the toilet that won't go quite the same, of course. I havent decided where to mount the shower head holder. Any suggestions?

It is crowded, but taking my time and shutting off the shower head while soaping and it went well. The only real problem is those wimpy velcro dots that are supposed to hold the curtain in place. They keep coming off the wall and sticking to the curtain. A hook or snap system would work better.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Congratulations on the new baby!!! We would sure love to see some pictures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Rich

Congratulations on your new Airstream. I can feel your excitement and pride through your post. I think that your Jeep will do just fine after you add a transmission cooler. A lot depends on how you drive it too. Drive it gently and give yourself extra space to react and you will be fine.

Your life will be forever changed.

Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Yes, congrats and welcome to the world of Airstreaming...you're in a for a great ride! Hope to see you down the road!
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Congratulations Rich
I followed your other thread with interest due to your buying experience with those two dealerships. Sounds like the San Diego dealership won you over.
Lets see those pictures!
Thanks for the welcome. You're right, my life is already changing. I am mezmerized by all this beautiful aluminum, inside and out.

The SD dealer did win me over by undercutting by $1000. They almost lost me when I was down there signing papers and the mechanic wanted "3 hours labor plus parts" to hardwire in my brake controller. They quickly dropped that when I refered to my detailed notes of conversations with the saleman ( who also confirmed the deal). Otherwise it was a positive experience and they were very professional. The trailer is immaculate! Moreso than the other one I looked at.

OK, now to finish my pics and figure out how to load them?
Old 01-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
About the shower...we've used ours when boondocking and invested in a new shower head for it with a button to push when you wanted the water to flow. I hated wasting so much water trying to get it to temp and then messing with the knobs to turn the water flow back off while lathering....The combined black/gray water tanks in these little guys don't hold a ton. The shower situation took a bit of practice, but it's not too bad anymore

Looking forward to the photos.....

Kim

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
....>snip<........

OK, now to finish my pics and figure out how to load them?
To upload pics to a post, click on the "Post Reply" button (not the "Quick Reply")...You will get a window for the reply... scroll down to "Additional Options" where you will see "Manage Attachments"...click on that.

You will then get a separate dialogue box in which you can browse your hard drive for photos... Note the types and size limitations of images in the "Manage Attachments" window.

When you have the first 4 photos located, click "Upload"...you will see a list below when they are uploaded... You can repeat this and upload two batches of 4 images + one batch of 2 more images for a total of 10 images max to a single post. When you are finished locating up to 10 images you want to post, after they are uploaded, close the upload dialogue box...

Then when you make the post by hitting "Submit Reply" in the reply window, the photos will appear in your posting.

You can also enter a URL in the appropriate place in the "Manage Attachments" window if you have a photo gallery on line somewhere.

Good luck!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
Tow went well. First night tow was during San Diego rush hour, so was a little intimidating, but the AS tracked nicely and I had less than 10 miles travel to a pull-thru site nearby. Set the stabilizers, plugged in and crashed for the night without even unhitching. Heater worked great in the 40 degree night temp.

Next day got to experience more surface street traffic, the fun of switching lanes with limited visibility, freeway driving, wind, 18 wheelers, and climbing long freeway hills.

Tow speed limit in California is 55 mph. I think me and a couple gravel trucks were the only ones obeying it. But it does seem to be the speed my jeep was rated for, for towing. Not a problem. No sign of overheating (engine at least), but I do plan to add a tranny cooler.
Well done, you! Now let the tours begin.

BTW, check out valmog's blog for gorgeous pics of a 16'. I find her blog to be particularly inspiring!

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1961 16' Bambi
1956 16' Bubble
Potrero , California
Rich,
Welcome and Congratulations on your new Airstream.
You've come to the right place for sharing, getting info and ideas for making the Airstream "YOURS"...This forum rocks!
Please let us know how our new AS dealer in San Diego is doing, I was planning to visit and support with repairs and supply parts.
See you out there!
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1961 Bambi, 16' California
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Make sure you include a picture of that 'ear to ear grin' we detect in your posts.

A little over a year ago I bought a 1974 to be renovated and it took a month to wipe the grin off my face. If I had bought new I think the grin would still be there.

It will never get old.

Congrats.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
First pics

OK, here are a few pics starting with the first morning at my first rv campground, Santa Fe RV Resort in San Diego, and ending with me reading my welcome letter from Airstream in my cozy new Bambi Sport 16.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	149016   Click image for larger version

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	149017  

Name:	023.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	149018   Click image for larger version

Name:	024.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	149019  

Old 01-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
more

Here's a few more. 1) RV Solutions retro cafe waiting room added greatly to the Airstream retro style (even tho they also sell other brands of rv's). 2) First night in the new bullet. 3) I love the nice bed across the full width of the AS, complete with flatscreen. Got lots of channels right out of the air in SD. 4) "Ladies and Gentlemen, you will notice overhead that we have equipped this airliner with all the latest modern technology. Enjoy your flight!"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	149020   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	149021  

Name:	018.jpg