Old 11-20-2006, 11:46 PM   #15
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM16CCD
PS - What does 'CSA' mean?Sorry for the ignorance....
well i will tell ya what it really means...

to airstreamers...

it means dexter axles instead of henschens...

see, dexter has usa and canada certification...

henschens does NOT...

so for way less than 1% of the entire market all the rest of us must suffer...

the experiment of using dexters on airstream....

i don't like it one little bit...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:20 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
I would rather Airstream would just put the heavier axle in to begin with - could just NOT add that much to the initial cost. But, when I consider what I've already spent on the CCD and the tow vehcile, I think I will be willing to pay for the upgrade, which would give me the ideal setup for what I want.

Not that I wouldn't rather have Airstream pick up the bill.....
I completely agree.

Quote:
Any thoughts from you folks have already upgraded - does the frame and the rest of the trailer, like on a newer 16'er, work OK with the upgrade to the axles, etc??
As near as I can tell no one has actually had the work done. A number of people (including myself) have talked to AS about upgrading the axle and the answer we get is 'No problem, just contact your dealer for pricing.'

There was a recent discussion of the issue in

http://www.airforums.com/forum...lks-27798.html

There was a thought that Bill Payne had the work done, but though he owns a 19' Bambi the AS he had the axle work done on was his 30' er. It seems that raptorron and coloradobus would also like to have the work done. And that David Tidmore of Roger Williams Chrysler Dodge Jeep [and Airstreams] (817-596-0050) in Texas would be a good person to talk to about having it done.

I don't know where you are located, but Texas is a bit far for me.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:25 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
This is an interesting thread, and it motivated me to get a note off to the Airstream tech folks, and like you said, they indicate no problem, but wanted to know how much 'extra' I am looking for. If I could go to the 4500 pound (like the 19'ers have), I would be more than satisfied. I don't know if axles are available in other than 1000 pound increments, so I asked about that.

This is to be my retirement deal, so I'm willing to go far to get the job done right, instead of going close if the local dealer really can't handle the job. Seems like the folks at Jackson Center must do a lot of axle installations, so I'm inclined that way if they would do it. I'm in Utah now, but I came from Ohio and that would be a nice trip to visit where I grew up.

I'll let you know as I find out more.

PS When I say axle, I'm really saying axle, brakes, wheels, and tires - I think all would have to be upgraded
Old 11-22-2006, 05:55 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Quote:
If I could go to the 4500 pound (like the 19'ers have), I would be more than satisfied.
The 16' CSA axle and 225/75R15 Load Rating D tires will get you to 4300 lbs...I don't know if there are any issues with trying to use the 19' axle.
Another advantage is that unlike our 14" ers the 225/75R15 tires are everywhere. In a multiple blowout situation you can easily get tires to get you home.

Quote:
Seems like the folks at Jackson Center must do a lot of axle installations, so I'm inclined that way if they would do it...I'll let you know as I find out more.
That's a great idea...and thanks.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:24 PM   #19
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmiii
As near as I can tell no one has actually had the work done.
h ljmiii...

perhaps no one posting has done this upgrade, but it has been done.

i was at the factory summer 05 and met a couple from the st louie burbs;
they were at the service center for exactly that reason....

upgraded the whole works (axles) including the brakes to discs and 15 inch wheels.

he pulled with a cayenne and his trailer was not able to match stopping power with the big red brakes...and was a little 'loose' in panic stops...

once the conversion was done they took his combo over to the proving grounds (a track) and dialed the combo in...

sorry no more details and i don't think he's on the forums...

cheer
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:32 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
i was at the factory summer 05 and met a couple from the st louie burbs; they were at the service center for exactly that reason...
upgraded the whole works (axles) including the brakes to discs and 15 inch wheels.
Great news! Like RDM16CCD I'm happy to go to Jackson Center to get it done right.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:41 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

New York , New York
After a bit of contemplation I've decided to go for it. I don't really need 4300lbs, but I'm tired of living on the edge at 3480 lbs without water. And wondering if my 1850lb/C rated tires will blow if I have to hit 75 to avoid being smushed between a pair of semis.

And so I'm scheduled to go to Jackson Center to get the axle/wheel/tire/disc brake upgrade on Feb 13th and 14th. I'll let you all know how it goes.

enjoy,
leo

(ps pardon for the multiple postings...the 16' Bambi GVWR issue had a few threads)
Old 02-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmiii
After a bit of contemplation I've decided to go for it....

And so I'm scheduled to go to Jackson Center to get the axle/wheel/tire/disc brake upgrade on Feb 13th and 14th. I'll let you all know how it goes
I did the upgrade - details are in:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...tml#post347686

enjoy,
leo