Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2006, 02:48 PM   #1

Farmington , Connecticut
Never did it before

We are very excited by Airstream trailors and want to buy one for extensive travel once we retire in another year. We have never towed anything before. Is it difficult? Are there classes anywhere? Before we invest in a truck and trailor we need to try it out. We've traveled in class B motorhomes before...but owing a trailor is all new to us. Any suggestions?
Rosalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:11 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
HI and welcome to the forums. I don't know of classes - although it's a cool idea but there is help available. You could join your local unit of the WBCCI and meet other Airstream owners. They can help you with questions - and so can forum members. many of us jumped in head first - eyes closed, and then figured out how to cope. welcome to the grand adventure!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:25 PM   #3

Farmington , Connecticut
Thanks Janet
What is WBCCI and how do I join?
Rosalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:50 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
WBCCI is the Wally Byam Caravan CLub International, or the Airstream owner's club.
In order to join, you first must have an Airstream or Argosy travel trailer or motor home.
As far as lessons or classes, the best way to learn to tow and operate your trailer, would probably be to arrange for the seller to show you how everything works, and how to tow (and back up). A few trips around the neighborhood, and backing back into his driveway a few times should give you the general idea. This of course if they are willing and able to help you, and there is a location to do this.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:03 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Buckland , Massachusetts
Our seller has a large lot, and they are arranging to let us tow our new CCD Bambi until we feel comfortable. I know it's not the same as highway driving, but I like that we can get a feel for the towing at the time we pick our Airstream up. Maybe someone can help you do the same type of thing.
Lizzie
TinLizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Contact me to join the WBCCI New England Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalie
Thanks Janet
What is WBCCI and how do I join?
You can contact me. I'm the Membership Chairperson for the New England Unit. Just use the PM feature provided here on the Airstream Forums.

You will be in good company. We have a number of "newbies" in regards to towing an Airstream that have just join our Unit and I promise you the experienced members are more than happy to assist you (whether you like it or not ).

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 11:18 PM   #7
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Try to attend one of their rallys - even if it's just dropping by for a day... you can take tours of others trailers (folks love to show them off...) and get a feel for what size and configuration you might want to look for. You can also learn lots about how to purchase - especially if you are looking for a previously loved trailer.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums and good luck with your search for an Airstream. Dont forget that Airstream makes several models of fine motor homes as well as the trailers. The Interstate or the B-Van are fine units for retirees traveling, easy to drive and with the new Mercedes diesel is easy of fuel. Also I believe the WBCCI does have a power point presentation on towing safety. It was presented at one of our rallies last year.