Old 04-07-2006, 01:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Neil and Lynn Holman

Hi, We are newbees without a trailer as of yet. I am nearing my retirement date and my wife (she will continue working a few more years) and I are looking to enjoy ourselves more. We now enjoy cruising in our 1971 Buick Centurion convertible but we also enjoy camping trips (we used to do that with a tent trailer) but now wish to locate a pre-1970 Airstream to turn even more heads. Also the vintage trailer gatherings look like a lot of fun. Any suggestions to year and model Airstreams (even ones to stay away from) would be appreciated.
Thanks, Neil and Lynn.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I think you have to look at each trailer, its condition, and price. I like to find vintage trailers that haven't moved for several years, then tackle all their problems. If you want to get on the road right away, you'll want a more recently used trailer, and you'll want to check the systems. I can't tell you how many I've found with freeze-cracked pipes. Even when in pretty good shape, I think you'll find it's a 3-month task to get it "right" for you.

Regarding length: My partner and I can easily go a week in the 18' Caravel--it's tight but fun. The 27' is a little long for casual trips, but it tows even better than the 18'. It's no problem in the city, but I do look a little more carefully at small roads before I turn into them--backing up more than a 100 yards is not something I want to do. When I go out for a month, I like the longer trailer because it has a full office across from the double bed, plus the front couch and table--makes for good working and reading spaces for two of us. I can't wait to get the 31' re-done, but it's really not going to go camping, it's going to go places and then stay put for significant periods. If I had my wish, it would be for a 22' with two axles, but I've only seen one in a couple hundred that I've found, and I didn't get it.

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums I can hardly wait ti see the head turning pictures of you pulling your vintage Airstream. I am partial to 1975 to 1979. They have the black and grey water tanks plus a nice look to them.
Good luck to you in your search.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
1965 Tradewind

Hi, We are newbees. We just won the eBay bidding for a 1965 Tradewind. We will pick it up in Oregon in a few days. We are excited to hit the road. The trailer is in get great shape but needs a furnace.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:54 PM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Congratulations on your new family member. Make sure you post pictures of it when you get the chance, we all love to look at other people's aluminum.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
That's a very nice unit for size and vintageness.... What are you pulling with? Read some of the "going to get it" threads for planning your trip...
Old 04-12-2006, 07:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Hi, Neal, welcome to the forums.

Let me just say this, if this is your new Airstream:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-...spagenameZWDVW

Then it's not a 65. It's a 66 based upon the windows. They're the frameless curved corning glass, that was used from 66 to 68. No biggie really, it may just be what is says on the title.

Really nice coach, that one. Amazing how two more feet allows you to stuff that much more stuff into it. A whole bedroom, pretty cool.

John
Old 04-21-2006, 12:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Tradewind

Yes, John, the eBay Tradewind is ours. I knew it must be a '66 from something I read about the Corning windows on the 66-68 models. The title says it is a 1965. The numbers on the plate above the name near the door read "1167 - 65". I am now fiddling with the power. It will not stay on. The previous owner says he had to switch the breakers on and off to bring back the power. He tried new breakers to no avail. So I removed the converter and will have it checked. With out an owners manual I am trying to locate where the heck the water tank drain is, where the grey water drain is, and where the switch is for the water pump. Since Dec.05 I have had both hips replaced so crawling under my rig is a no-no for now. A good friend drove me and my Mrs. up to Oregon to pick up the trailer earlier this week. 10+ hours each way. My friend kept remarking on how nicely the Airstream towed, even at 80. I can't wait to get it behind my 1971 Buick Centurion convertible with the 455 motor. But I will keep it at near 60. The car is bright red with white top and white upholstery. Tomorrow I go hitch hunting. I hate to have a big receiver hitch hanging under my rear bumper but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Neil.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Yep, ya gotta get that hitch. Here's some tips on the tank stuff, keeping in mind I don't have the same camper, but do have the same year...

Drain for the tank should be a stop cock type of valve next to it under the gaucho or dinette up front.

There is no grey tank. Not until ~1973

The switch for the water pump is on the panel above the fridge. The pictures are kind of blurry, but that's where it's supposed to be.

When your electricity keeps cutting out, do you mean all of the AC, the DC or all of it?

If all AC then you probably have a short somewhere in the coach. Could take some time to find. Might indicate a worn wire shorting against the shell.

If it's just the DC and you don't have a battery in then the univolt is going. Just get a new one. I recommend a WFCO or an IOTA in the 45 to 55 amp range. It's time for the old one to give up the ghost. Mine did last year on a trip. Not fun.

Keep asking away!

John
Old 04-21-2006, 08:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Dang, the grey water goes to the black tank. I was hoping it would not. Depending on the size of the black tank I will see how I may separate it. What is the capacity of the black tank? John I took your advise and went ahead and got another power converter. 45 amps. The old one was 30. Thanks.
Neil.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by anholman
Dang, the grey water goes to the black tank. I was hoping it would not. Depending on the size of the black tank I will see how I may separate it. What is the capacity of the black tank? John I took your advise and went ahead and got another power converter. 45 amps. The old one was 30. Thanks.
Neil.
This is very unlikely. Someone may have done a modification. Black tank is under the toilet, sits right on it. "Fluid" level is higher than the shower drain level. These have a wash water drain that comes out the black water dump connector. One gets a cap with a hose fitting for this and runs a hose to a "blue boy" or directly into the site sewer. You remove this connector to empty the black tank.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
This is very unlikely. Someone may have done a modification. Black tank is under the toilet, sits right on it. "Fluid" level is higher than the shower drain level. These have a wash water drain that comes out the black water dump connector. One gets a cap with a hose fitting for this and runs a hose to a "blue boy" or directly into the site sewer. You remove this connector to empty the black tank.
No, Over, this model is different. The black tanks sits below the floor , right on the centerline of the coach. See the "Changin my toilet on a '66" thread. Tamara has nice shots of the setup. On the 66 full baths (and for a few years earlier) you can cap the waste drain and open the dump valve and grey water will drain into the black tank. It's around 13 gallons I believe, which is about one day's worth of gray water for two people who used the bathroom and shower in the coach. And then you have to dump it somewhere. We don't do this, but use, as Over says, a blue tank. Don't do what we did, get bigger than a 10 gallon tank. At least 15 gallons for two people and I recommend a 20 or so for that size coach. I wish I had gotten that advice two years ago.

Second note: Unless a PO has altered the setup, those are Thetford connectors, not the newer style. In other words, you can't just buy drain hose connectors at Wal-mart, nor will the adapter that comes with the blue tank fit your drain. Sooo, buy an elbow thetford hose connector and a garden hose connector here at Dyer's RV supply. If your drain cap is yucky, the garden hose adapter with the little cap on will work.

John
Old 04-23-2006, 12:56 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Thanks again. I kinda figured this out today. The Thetford Garden Hose Adapter appears to be my solution. I have not had this trailer a week and I am having fun figuring out and asking questions. I certainly is cheaper than towing this rig now.
Neil.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Angry Little red light

Had my '66 Tradewind ('65 on title but has Corning windows) almost 2 weeks now. Tracking down problems 2-3 at a time with 85% success. Question; When the rear access panel is removed there is a small red light (not lit) about the size of a pencil eraser mounted in the upper left side of the frame. There is no access from behind so I cannot determine what it may be hooked up to. Anybody know what it is for?
Thanks,
Neil