Old 02-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Post Falls , Idaho
Need honest opinions, please (long intro)

Hello all,

I think my husband and I can be officially committed to the insane asylum. I would like a reality check from the experienced travelers on this matter.

We are a family of three with a 2-year-old and two dogs. We're currently renting our home and the lease will be up at the end of this year. We are entertaining the idea of selling most of our possessions and live out of an Airstream for two years and travel the country after our lease is up before our son starts Kindergarten in Fall 2016.

Financially, we can't afford it right now, but with some hard budgeting and re-arranging of finances and planning, we could possibly make it work. A lot depends on how soon we can sell our townhome back home (obviously not the same home we're renting.) We have 10 months of planning, researching and saving. We have a few months of flexibility for execution.

We love the outdoors and we would love to travel the country to determine where we want to settle down and make our roots. We feel like nomads that haven't found a "home" yet. Yes, we could take long weekend trips somewhere, but we really want to live in a community to get the true feel of it.

This is where the reality check comes into play, both financially and would you even recommend this for a young family with zero experience?

I telecommute and my company has offices all over the country, so we'd be living off my salary. I'd work from the Airstream and go into the office as needed. My husband would quit his job as a nurse and take care of our son and dogs.

Our basic plan is a 27'-30' Airstream and a Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel crew cab. I'm trying to find used prices on those is what I'm working on now as those would be the bulk of our payments. Is this basic plan too much or too little?

I know this is crazy, but people have done it. I'm just not sure how *well* they were able to do it. We won't have a lot of money for a back up plan if something goes wrong. We have a $10k limit on our CC and whatever else we can save up. Worst comes to worst, we go home and live with our parents.

I'm not a risk taker, but this would be an amazing adventure. And the finances are close to where I'm trying hard to make it a reality, but if we're going to get our butts kicked, then I'd like to know that ahead of time, KWIM?

Thanks for reading if you made it to the end.
-TeamC

Old 02-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I'll give you a short answer to your long introduction.

Do it.

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
OK, now I'll elaborate.

It won't be as easy as staying in your current situation. But adventures worth adventuring usually aren't all that easy. From the age of your toddler I'm assuming you're fairly young, but even if you aren't, it doesn't really matter. If your job and life situations allow you to live like this for a while, then go for it.

The RVing part won't be that difficult, look at how many old farts are successful at it.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your question, it is totally doable if you can make the finances work. What an adventure! You will be able to see the country and try out different places to live.

I say, go for it. We are all rooting for you.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
This is a great idea.

As an Accountant I would have to say no, but as an adventurer I say GO FOR IT. I wish sometimes I had the courage to try something like this. What a fantastic adventure!

There's lots of full timers that i'm sure will chime in and give advice.

A 3/4 pickup and a 30ft trailer is good combination, and you can save big money if you buy used.

Airstreams don't depreciate anyway near as fast as cars or traditional trailers so factor that in to your budget, Airstreams are not "disposable"

If you go for it keep us posted!
Good Luck
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamC View Post
We are entertaining the idea of selling most of our possessions and live out of an Airstream for two years and travel the country after our lease is up before our son starts Kindergarten in Fall 2016.
The hard part might be settling down after having so much freedom!

Follow your dreams.
Someday is today.

my restoration & travel blog:
http://someday1959.blogspot.com
Someday'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
it sounds like a great deal for your husband, i'm not so sure how good it is for you. there are telecommuting jobs for nurses too.

finances can make your trip much less enjoyable. if you're going finance things i'd wait until you save up a good reserve account even if it pushes things back a while. you can home school too.

just my 2 cents :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
As others have said, if you can possibly make the finances work, do it. It will be the memories of a lifetime. Take lots of photos so your son can see what adventures you took him on.

I hate to say it here on Air forums, but there are also less expensive trailers that you could buy than an Airstream, especially for a one year trip.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Post Falls , Idaho
Thanks to all that have replied so far. I should know my audience and know most of you have a taste for adventure!

We are in our early 30's, working our way up to mid-30's by the time our adventure would be over.

I know financially it is not the smart thing to do since in 2 years we will be 100% debt free if we do not do this. But the emotional side of me is telling me it's worth it.

And while I realize other brands can be much cheaper, my husband says "Go big, or go home." If we're going to do this, we're going to do it right!
Old 02-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Go for it, I say!

There are lots of folks out there full timing with kids, some of whom are older and being home schooled so the family can travel and see the country. You are right that once they are in school it is a whole different ball game---unless you home school,

If you can afford it, this would be the opportunity of a lifetime. As you get closer and make firmer plans, trust your gut instincts. They will tell you if you if this is insane and need to halt.

As for the nursing, aren't there agencies that do temporary placements of medical personnel in emergency rooms and such around the country? He could get on with one of those and perhaps pick up some days/shifts here and there as you travel. Would be great experience for him, I would think, keep his hand in and skill set up and provide some cash cushion.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Maggie
Old 02-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
My sense is you'd be scuttled by finances in short order. If you can do this without monthly payments, daily expenses would be enough of a challenge but give a much better chance of success.

doug k
Old 02-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Post Falls , Idaho
We actually did the traveling nurse gig several years ago to help with our restlessness and it wasn't that great of an experience. The are several challenges to that - mainly we'd have to find daycare for our son and assignments are around 3 months. And even at that, you're given a limited choice on where you'd like to go. However that was several years ago, we can definitely look at what other jobs could be out there for him.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
I would live out of the Airstream while waiting for the townhouse to sell with 2 incomes. This will let you see if you like the concept before losing the 2nd income. Don't buy more trailer than you can afford on the single income, the financial stress will ruin the experience.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Post Falls , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgandc View Post
I would live out of the Airstream while waiting for the townhouse to sell with 2 incomes. This will let you see if you like the concept before losing the 2nd income. Don't buy more trailer than you can afford on the single income, the financial stress will ruin the experience.
This is actually a great idea and I think we could work with this. Hopefully our townhome sells before the lease on the house we're renting is up. BUT, we could stay put for a few months before we pack up and start traveling. That is brilliant!