Old 02-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamC View Post
We actually did the traveling nurse gig several years ago to help with our restlessness and it wasn't that great of an experience. The are several challenges to that - mainly we'd have to find daycare for our son and assignments are around 3 months. And even at that, you're given a limited choice on where you'd like to go. However that was several years ago, we can definitely look at what other jobs could be out there for him.
Ahhhh, that doesn't sound so good.

I was thinking weekends when you were at home, etc. Was a thought. Nurses are in such demand.

You're getting some good food for thought here. If it's meant to happen, it will.

Maggie

Old 02-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

a , wanderer
TeamC,

We're travelling the country now, myself telecommuting and my wife taking care of, and teaching, our daughter. So it can be done. And it is a lot of fun. Also check out malimish.com for a family of five that frequently spends months travelling in their Airstream.

You do need to pay attention to the financial aspect of it though. You can easily spend next to nothing a month, or more than you can possibly imagine. It just all depends on how you go about this. With the additional payments, I do think you'll be spending more than you do now, but only you can tell that for sure. Just be sure you have a cushion to fall back on. There WILL be unexpected expenses.

If finances do go south, I think you'd have a few options... Airstreams don't depreciate all that fast. So you could sell and get most of your money back out. Your husband is a nurse, he should be able to find employment if needed, even if it is for just a 3 month gig. That will bring in the needed money to continue the adventure. You have your family to fall back on. etc....

So, realistically, I'd say go for it. You don't know what the future holds. So if you can do it now, then do. That is a big reason we are. Right now, we're in a position to do it. I don't know what tomorrow holds.

Also, I really wouldn't limit myself by the start date of your son's kindergarten. Even if you don't want to homeschool through his childhood, you can easily cover much more with him than the first few years of school would. So you could either travel longer, or you could put this off awhile until you have your finances to the point that you're comfortable.

Good luck.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Check out the camp host thing. Light work in exchange for free camping. A lot of state and county parks have this opportunity. Short 1-2 week stays or longer month or two.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Get a 34 footer!

I say "Go for it!" as well. I'd suggest you look at a 34 footer, rear bedroom, central bath. Look for an early to mid 90's model with the deep frame and axles that aren't shot. You can buy the long ones reasonable now, and they do have more room. Since you're living in it, you'll appreciate the extra size more than the handful of places you might not be able to take it in. By doing a long excursion like this, you can always park the Long Long Trailer in a campground and drive into the park you want to check out, if they have a 30' restriction or something. Most places you will fit just fine.

The 34's tow like a dream.

This could be the adventure of your life. I've been trying to get my wife (who is a school teacher and has 2.5 months off in the summer) to take a month, and let's make a circle around the continental U.S.A. So far no dice. The kids and I think it'd be awesome though....so we may just leaver her behind

I pull a 34' Avion, but it's about the same thing. I really like the room, and the triple axles really track straight. A 34' would do you well.

Cheers,
Old 02-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
You might be able to have your cake and eat too by workcamping. There are plenty of campgrounds, national parks, and outdoor type businesses that are looking for temporary help. Google workcamping.

If you get to Estancia NM stop in and say hey, but you can't get here from there.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Welcome to the forums and the great advice that is shared!

What type of nursing background and credentials does your husband have?

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
LOADS of good advice here. Especially about getting a USED 34 footer. Generally they're bought by well to do seniors... who then age out of travelling. A few beauty marks just mean YOU won't get that sick feeling with the first little ding.

Work camping, or working part time as a nurse are both excellent ideas for your husband. And LIVING IN the Airstream before you go on the road - priceless. Many stay at home dads amaze me by their dedication and patience... but... what seems to be a great idea can turn into unending misery really fast. Most "mommies" really benefit from having a day or two of adult contact now and then. Dads might find one night of working in a nursing home
  1. inspiration and refreshment for another day with rugrats
  2. a way to keep credentials and skills current so that being a house husband remains a choice!

Do read a lot here, and do searches on frame damage, floor rot, etc. Also look for one that's lived in a dry climate, AND try to meet some local Airstreamers who'll show you what to look for when inspecting a used trailer. Good maintenance records are one positive indicator.

I have a diesel 2500 HD Silverado and I really like it. However, for your family - consider a gasser. Price difference new or used is significant. Diesel fuel shouldn't be higher priced than gas but it is. The "money saving" part about owning a diesel may not even exist any longer.. or might only kick in after 350,000 miles. If you cut the cost of your tow vehicle by $10K... that'll pay for a lot of camping... and the gas engines are much more refined and strong than they were!

Happy trails, Paula
Old 02-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1987 29' Sovereign
St Augustine , Florida
We are working the same plan. BUT, buying everything in cash and having a big box of cash to last a year, while working some remote jobs. Pulling off a nomadic life on payments seems a little daunting to me. We re mid 30s and worse case could sell our already depreciated truck and trailer and go back to it. YMMV.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Post Falls , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Welcome to the forums and the great advice that is shared!

What type of nursing background and credentials does your husband have?
Thank you for the warm welcome

My husband has a wide variety of experience. He's worked in a NICU for a couple of years, worked home healthcare for peds, and currently he's working at the VA Hospital and has worked float pool there so he's gotten experience in every dept there.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Post Falls , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamFL View Post
We are working the same plan. BUT, buying everything in cash and having a big box of cash to last a year, while working some remote jobs. Pulling off a nomadic life on payments seems a little daunting to me. We re mid 30s and worse case could sell our already depreciated truck and trailer and go back to it. YMMV.
Agreed this is the much more prefer route
Old 02-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #25

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Welcome and what a fantastic idea! I'd say go for it but I think a gently used Airstream would be the way to go. They drop a lot the first couple of years but then level off. Our little Bambi is selling for more than what we paid for it 2 years ago! Just take your time and look at several models to get the feel of the layout and space. They feel pretty roomy for a weekend but when your going to live in it you want a a lot of space. 28-32 should work well for you. I am very envious of your plan! We're planning for the retirement stage of our lives (43 and 40) and want to retire in 10 years and hit the road! My other half is not excited about full timing but I've got 10 years to sell the idea! read the forums and you will have a lot of great information! Go for it and a blog would be a great hobby for your husband.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamC View Post
Thank you for the warm welcome

My husband has a wide variety of experience. He's worked in a NICU for a couple of years, worked home healthcare for peds, and currently he's working at the VA Hospital and has worked float pool there so he's gotten experience in every dept there.
So he is RN? BSN?

Those are some great experiences and will lend themselves well to temp or telecommuting.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #27
Rivet Master

It sounds like a good idea..........

BUT
#1 I wouldn't try to do it in a cold climate ( read up on winter camping )

#2 You'll need an emergency fund ( read about repairs )

#3 Do you have friends or relatives that could accommodate a trailer

#4 Are the dogs well behaved and mellow

#5 Learn about what states are good to use as a residence ( mail, drivers licenses taxes etc )

#6 An expert fulltimer, single guy spent over 20K a year on the road

My advice....read read read...make your own educated decision
Old 02-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Several years ago a family of 5 joined us at one of our NorCal rallies. I believe there was 1 teen and 2 pre teens in this family. They towed their 27' Airstream with I think a Tundra. The father is a writer and mom a former teacher who was/is home schooling their children. They had been at that time been full timing already 2-3 years. They planned their travels throughout the US focusing upon historical and senic sights plus visiting various well known museums and cultural centers. When we were talking with them our rally was near the early route of early pioneers. They were a delightful family. So if you can support your dream financially and are happy with this life style do go for it. One thing to consider is the your child will not have regular playmates and long time friends. The children in the family I discribed seemed quite adjusted and had no problem making friends with the kids in our group.
Neil.

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote