Old 01-21-2006, 11:43 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallone
just started looking thru the forums at the (zillions) of models and combos....wow......too many choices. im leaning towards the late 60-70s 20-25ft models to remodel. one thing a do know it that i DO NOT like the twin beds on the side......whatever i purchase and remodel i will end up with a large wall2wall bed in the back, head on the side, small closet and kitchen/lounge in the front. saw some pix of one with a small plasma....i like that idea coupled with sound system throughout.

the only partitions i see will be the bulk head seperating the "master" from the head and the partitions surrounding the head. other than that, minimal cabinetry and things that take up space...i im a big boy (not girth) but legs and limbs so i want to minimize my collision base.

i see this on ebay...."Landyacht" (great name)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

any direction to makes/model/years given that info?
Tallone,

If you want to start with a center bath, you will need to look for a 25' plus trailer, the shorter ones only came with a rear bath.

Bill

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 11:49 AM   #16
prettytall

Tallville , California
morning bill, thanks for the info....details im looking for.

is this center bath config typical with most/all models and years of AS? if so what about relocating the head?

i saw some AWESOME pix of a 62 Sovereign here.....i REALLY like what they have done in this remodel although i would like to reverse the layout (i think the bunk is in the front?)

http://www.airforums.com/photo...s&c=502&page=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Tallone,

If you want to start with a center bath, you will need to look for a 25' plus trailer, the shorter ones only came with a rear bath.

Bill

Old 01-21-2006, 12:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Tall,

here, let me just say this. When you say you want a wall to wall bed in the back, there were no standard configurations that match this in the time frame you're talking about. You will have to remove most nearly all of the interior cabinets, bulkheads and appliances. You will have to reconfigure the holding tanks underneath so you will also remove the belly skin. You will then have to, from scratch, build a new bathroom, side style. You could stash the water heater under the bed, like I think they do on the new coaches, and rerun most of the plumbing.

Take it from me: What you want isn't completely going to be achievable. You want the interior configuration of a later day model in a vintage body and it doesn't work very well. I have thought long and hard on how to achieve a queen size bed in either my coach or one like Glen's with the mid-bedroom. All that I have ever been able to come up with is something that either you tear down every morning in order to get in and out of your coach, or something that you have to crawl over to get to the bathroom.

A lot of people come to this forum wanting it all and sometimes you just can't get it. I really feel that you need to assess your wants and needs and rank order them. Is a comfortable, permanent bed more important, or is a vintage exterior (since, when you get done, it won't have a vintage interior). Is it better to get a fixer up or get one ready to roll - this appears to be a price issue, but it's not. Unless you buy a brand newish one, you will end up paying about as much in the near term for a fixer as opposed to one in ready-to-roll shape.

Fixing one is a LOT of work. Odd parts, cramped work areas, it takes me a whole evening just to fix a busted coupler on the kitchen faucet, because you have to remove the sink first to even get at the coupler, then you have to reseal it and put it back together. Every appliace will have to be ordered mostly since your local RV dealer won't have them in stock.

My opinion is, find a reasonable priced 25 footer from the late eighties. It'll have your rear queen like you want and you may get to do some fixin to it, too.

Just my .02.

John
Old 01-21-2006, 12:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallone
morning bill, thanks for the info....details im looking for.

is this center bath config typical with most/all models and years of AS? if so what about relocating the head?

i saw some AWESOME pix of a 62 Sovereign here.....i REALLY like what they have done in this remodel although i would like to reverse the layout (i think the bunk is in the front?)

http://www.airforums.com/photo...s&c=502&page=3
Tallone,

I do not know about typical, just that it was available in 25' and longer units. My 1954 Double Door 29' Liner has a center bath and we are putting a short queen in the rear.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 01-21-2006, 12:21 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Arrow Vintage floor plan w/ rear nose bed exists....

John,
What you state is 99.9% true.......
Our 1950 Airstream Cruiser (which is for sale) has a "Hollywood" factory bed which is a factory fixed platform bed that takes up the entire rear nose. It has a cabinet base and two storage pods with hand hole covers in the deck top.
The size is equivalent to a large custom king, even larger perhaps, and because the bed is laid out across the rear, if you were a seven foot person you could sleep comfortably.
There is a large driverside mid to rear bathroom with a factory flush pedal toilet that has (believe it or not) a vented factory holding tank. This could be converted to a wet shower easily.
This was one family owned. No floor rot. All original and in very good condition.
Not many people have seen this floorplan......
We have a photo album with 59 pictures of the inside and outside that we can share with those interested....

If people send us an email we will send a photo album invitation

@ silverport@hotmail.com

Old 01-21-2006, 12:25 PM   #20
prettytall

Tallville , California
thanks john,

yeah, i understand what i want is looking to be a total custom job, which is ok by me....as i have to have what i want in the end. i really like what the 64 sovereign folks did.....stripped it down to the frame and back up.....turned out great and got what they wanted....have to contact them on that.

in thinking about this project im interested in using a product that i found back when building boats.....built a 70' luxury sportfisher for bill bennett from vegas.....guy wanted a 70+' luxury sportfishing yacht that did 70kts.....powered by a jet turbine engine.....crazy boat....anyway we used this product called Plascore. its a honeycome material thats ultra light, ultra strong, corrosion, water, fungi proof....1/2" 4x8 panel weights a few pounds....all the cocobolo veneers were layed up on it....killer stuff, anyway i would like to use that in my construction process.....keep the weight down.....again im not going so much for accurite reconstruction as design and comfort as i see it.

check this stuff....pretty cool....

http://www.plascore.com/
Old 01-21-2006, 04:06 PM   #21
prettytall

Tallville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jarzabek
John,
What you state is 99.9% true.......

ahhhh yes....the ole disclaimer!

Quote:
Our 1950 Airstream Cruiser (which is for sale) has a "Hollywood" factory bed which is a factory fixed platform bed that takes up the entire rear nose.

yes, thats what im looking for! the "Hollywood" bed....

Quote:
It has a cabinet base and two storage pods with hand hole covers in the deck top.

very "boaty".....im going to apply many of the designs from my boat building days to the interior of the AS.....save the "nautical" feel....was never too big on that.

Quote:
The size is equivalent to a large custom king, even larger perhaps,

right on!! what is the interior width of you rig? length?

Quote:
and because the bed is laid out across the rear, if you were a seven foot person you could sleep comfortably.

me and my 90lb lab!

Quote:
There is a large driverside mid to rear bathroom with a factory flush pedal toilet that has (believe it or not) a vented factory holding tank. This could be converted to a wet shower easily.

would you lose the toilet then?

thetallone
Old 01-23-2006, 09:30 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Oops on Tow Vehicle!!

In re-reading the threads, it sure looks like you're planning to tow this magic castle with a Chrysler Mini-Van with a V-6, and front wheel drive...

Imagine a large bucket of icy gator-ade splashing down... Unless you've had major work done on that thing, if that's the case you really are looking at a sub-19' Bambi or even Argosy Minuet (thin and light) trailer, since the rated tow capacity of that Grand Caravan is really in tent-trailer range... While tempting to round up, rule of thumb for reliable towing is use 80% (+/-) of rated towing capacity of tow vehicle for loaded GVWR of trailer... Anything in 24 or 25' range is going to have gross weight near 6,000#, and overwhelm the mini-van...

Keep looking, but you may want to prepare to upgrade the Van to something like used Chevy Taho or AstroVan, which can pull 5,000 to 6,000#'s... Right now with gas price gyrations they can be had for less than $5K...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
In re-reading the threads, it sure looks like you're planning to tow this magic castle with a Chrysler Mini-Van with a V-6, and front wheel drive...

Imagine a large bucket of icy gator-ade splashing down... Unless you've had major work done on that thing, if that's the case you really are looking at a sub-19' Bambi or even Argosy Minuet (thin and light) trailer, since the rated tow capacity of that Grand Caravan is really in tent-trailer range... While tempting to round up, rule of thumb for reliable towing is use 80% (+/-) of rated towing capacity of tow vehicle for loaded GVWR of trailer... Anything in 24 or 25' range is going to have gross weight near 6,000#, and overwhelm the mini-van...

Keep looking, but you may want to prepare to upgrade the Van to something like used Chevy Taho or AstroVan, which can pull 5,000 to 6,000#'s... Right now with gas price gyrations they can be had for less than $5K...

John McG
Or a 1960's Caravel with a dry weight of only 2500 lbs.

Bill

Just my personal opinion