Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2016, 10:11 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 20
Peoria , Arizona
Need Help

Hello All,

I have been cruising the forum's for some time as I have always dreamed of joining the AirStream following. Well the time has come I can take on the financial obligation to get one.... Well not a Airstream but I am looking at a 1974 Argosy.

I have found one here local, but man are these things getting hard to find. I want a 20' as we don't need to much space as we will just be camping in ours not living in it.

So at any rate the pictures are of a 1974 Argosy 20. There are a few things that stand out to me right away like the panorama window removal/patch job, I found one supplier that still sells them but they are out of stock. The other is the body damage to the front right of the trailer(probably the cause of the broken panorama window).

Everything else seems to be intact.

Now for the real fun...... The lady that has it now bought it from a individual that got it as trade for work that he had done. There is no title on it. I can go through that process to get one but at this point I am trying to establish what a fair price is.

I have seen a few of these on various sites at around the 4k mark in better condition with a title. So I am asking what you members feel would be a fair offer as my emotion is getting involved and I am ready to just go buy it now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1974 Argosy 1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	266015   Click image for larger version

Name:	1974 Argosy 2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	266016  

Name:	1974 Argosy 3.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	266017   Click image for larger version

Name:	1974 Argosy 4.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	266018  

Name:	1974 Argosy 5.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	266019   Click image for larger version

Name:	1974 Argosy 6.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	266020  

Name:	1974 Argosy 7.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	266021  
hkowacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

I'll say this...

To have the dent repaired, will cost at least a thousand, plus paint.

The exterior end cap looks in good shape for painting, and there are several DIY methods.

I have a twenty footer, and I personally, wouldn't care too much about the patched Vista Windows, as they are difficult to block so the sun doesn't wake you at dawn.

Is that a cracked shower stall??? To epoxy repair that, you really should take it out. If you can find a replacement…it might be worth it.

I got my 1973 20 footer in 2005…All of the appliances were ready to die, or did die a few months later. My dry weight was about 3000 pounds, with after market AC unit.

The thing is,,,with new tires, brakes, and bearings, and a hack patch job on the shower…you could most likely use it for camping.

I'd offer $3500-4000. She might just want it gone. Depending on your need for perfection, and reliability ( fridge, furnace, toilet, pump, charger, axle etc )…repairs would range from $ 10 to 20 K.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Need Help

I would not pay more than $1K for it and even at that I would have to look a lot closer at it.
If you intend to camp you will likely need a new axle. At a cost of about $1K. Plus tires. A new axle will come with new bearings and brakes.
The cracked tub/shower basin looks bad. I am not sure you can find a decent replacement.
The dent in the front could be more than cosmetic.
I am not sure about your supplier for the pano windows. You won't find clear glass windows new. Smoked windows are available from A$. The price is close to $1K each.
Not knowing what shape the plumbing system is could be another considerable expense. Water heater, water lines, plumbing fixtures, tanks (3) along with the waste drain/dump system.
These old units can turn into real money pits.
I have a '74 Argosy 26'. I paid $2K for it and now have $11K into it. As an example.
This unit could required major floor repairs. Be sure to check for rotted areas.
If you are just looking for a hard tent it may work for you.
You may be able to push most of the dent out by removing the inner skin. It won't be perfect but would look better than it does now.
If you plan to use the electrical system you will need a new converter or risk cooking the battery when on shore power.
Good Luck!
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
First Argosys are Airstreams, and just as desirable. The Argosy curved windows are available but very expensive. Since the Argosy will be painted you don't have to use aluminum on the dent. You may be able to pull out the dent, bondo and paint. You can also use Olympic rivets to patch over the dent. The 20 footers seem to be the most popular and fetch higher prices, especially if it has an aluminum floor. IMHO 4 K is high and 1K low.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:38 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 20
Peoria , Arizona
I appreciate the responses,

The sheet metal work isn't a big deal with my aviation background that can be tuned up easy. My biggest concerns are the windows but sounds like I would just do better patch panels and move on.

As for the shower pan my plan is to build a stainless tub and tig it all together for a seamless leak free system that would go with our modern up dated look.

Is there a easy way to check the subfloor to see if it's aluminum versus plywood short of pulling some carpet? My understanding is there is a skin barrier on the underside so you can't see from the bottom.

Thanks again and I hope to be joining this great community soon.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I know on "Airstreams" some owners have used clear plastic for window replacements, but the Airstream wing windows are smaller than Argosy. If you elect to try that use UV resistant Lexan (polycarbonate) not Plexiglass. It is easier to work and lasts longer.

Airstream used Argosy to test market new ideas as well as make a lower price unit.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Need Help

Your Argosy, unless it is a Minuet will have a wooden floor. To confirm this go to the truck take a mirror and look up below the bath. Or just stick your hand in and up and feel.
Or open a cabinet door and peek inside.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:25 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 20
Peoria , Arizona
Thanks for the info, planning to look at it this coming weekend. Thanks again
Old 07-14-2016, 07:03 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 20
Peoria , Arizona
Well I went ahead and purchased the Argosy for $2k. Hope I made a good purchase..... Cant wait to start work on it and get out and start camping. Thanks for all the help and info!