Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
MeandMB

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Selbyville , Delaware
Red face Need Guidance

Hello folks,

I have been following the Forums for a few years now and finally we are getting close to purchasing our first Airstream. My question is we have narrowed our search to a 23' Flying Cloud and would like your valued opinion on what we could expect to pay from the dealership (Colonial, NJ), asking price is $58,996. Also do u feel a Chevy Tahoe would be an appropriate tow vehicle for this Airstream. Thanks in advance.

Joe O'D
MeandMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Colonial Airstream has a representative on the boards here from time to time. I very nearly purchased my trailer from them but ended up at the local dealer. The standard advice to check prices at several dealers would apply.

If the Tahoe is what you have it would probably work out fine although if you're shopping for a tow vehicle you might consider the Tahoe XL or a Suburban with the 2500 series (3/4 ton) chassis.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Joe, pricing varies between dealerships and the only way to know if the offered price is fair, is to shop the market. I bought my trailer locally from a dealer even though I found it for a few hundred dollars less at another dealership 450 miles from home. I decided to go local since I knew that the local folks were going to service the trailer (no matter where I bought it from), and that local dealer would be the one to give me service on short notice or back me up if something wasn't quite right.

I think it is good to shop around to make sure you have got a competitive offer. That's the name of the game. But also give consideration to the local dealer when the dollars between local and out of town are competitive, even if the local price is a little higher.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:16 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe O'D View Post
Hello folks,

I have been following the Forums for a few years now and finally we are getting close to purchasing our first Airstream. My question is we have narrowed our search to a 23' Flying Cloud and would like your valued opinion on what we could expect to pay from the dealership (Colonial, NJ), asking price is $58,996. Also do u feel a Chevy Tahoe would be an appropriate tow vehicle for this Airstream. Thanks in advance.

Joe O'D
First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I would shop around several dealers to make sure that you are getting a decent deal. You should be able to get between 10 and 20 percent off of sticker.

As to a tow vehicle, a Tahoe should do the job just fine if properly equipped..

Briaan
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote