Old 03-15-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
Wink My Sovereign story

I bought a 1968 30ft Sovereign a couple of years ago. I started to rebuild it at the time, but other priorities got in the way. I did let a friend borrow the camper once, with lot's of regrets. Lessons learned. Anyway, I've re-started working on the project. At the moment I'm replacing all the plumbing. Next, I'll replace a window and fix some water leaks.

I'm looking for some parts. The person I bought the camper from told me the refrigerator doors leaked out condensation, so he threw them away. The refrigerator still works, but not too good without the doors. Anyone know where I could get some refrigerator doors? It's a Dometic frig about 2ft wide by 5ft tall, model M70.

Today, while I was working on the plumbing, it rained very hard for quite some time. I noticed I have several small leaks in the roof. I have been told the seams need to be re-sealed??? If you have any info regarding this issue, please let me know.

Pleasent camping to everyone and I hope you enjoy.

Sincerely,
Randy

Old 03-15-2008, 11:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by watt1968
I bought a 1968 30ft Sovereign a couple of years ago. I started to rebuild it at the time, but other priorities got in the way. I did let a friend borrow the camper once, with lot's of regrets. Lessons learned. Anyway, I've re-started working on the project. At the moment I'm replacing all the plumbing. Next, I'll replace a window and fix some water leaks.

I'm looking for some parts. The person I bought the camper from told me the refrigerator doors leaked out condensation, so he threw them away. The refrigerator still works, but not too good without the doors. Anyone know where I could get some refrigerator doors? It's a Dometic frig about 2ft wide by 5ft tall, model M70.

Today, while I was working on the plumbing, it rained very hard for quite some time. I noticed I have several small leaks in the roof. I have been told the seams need to be re-sealed??? If you have any info regarding this issue, please let me know.

Pleasent camping to everyone and I hope you enjoy.

Sincerely,
Randy
Randy.

I would look for missing rivets on the roof.

Check the sealer around the roof vents.

Pull one of the sewer vent pipe covers off.

You should find the gaskets severely cracked.

Check the rivets in the awning rail.

If you have leaks in the front and/or rear, pull the clearance lights.

Also, check the ceiling vent cover gaskets and the covers themselves for cracks.

Andy

Old 03-16-2008, 12:01 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
Andy,
Thank you so much. It's not suppose to rain tomorrow, so I'll start inspecting the roof first thing. Some of the clearance lights are broken and I plan to replace them next week. I'll also inspect the gaskets and sealer. Most likely will redo sealer and gaskets. I do have a couple small leaks around the sky light windows. It looks like the gaskets are shot. Do you know where I could find some gasket material for those windows. And more important, what is the proper way of replacing the gaskets? It looks like I'll have to remove some rivets on the inside to even see how to remove the class??

Again, thanks so much for your response. It's late and I calling it a day. Will check back tomorrow.

Thanks!
Randy