Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2015, 10:40 AM   #1

2002 19' Bambi
Bend , Oregon
My Little Bambi!

Hi
It is our silver anniversary this June-25 years-and we thought-"Hey, Airstreams are silver!" Happy anniversary to us! Just bought a 19' 2002 Bambi AS from our friends. We love it-of course, and we have lots of work to do on it-of course.
Having read lots of info in the forums I notice that the "newer" AS's are "harder" to redo. For example, the exterior will never polish up to that mirror finish, and it is harder (read very time consuming and expensive) to get it cleaned up and somewhat shiny. Also, the interior, which has the "carpeted" walls and ceiling is hard (again read time consuming and expensive) to remove-and after removal apparently the interior walls have the "cheaper" walls, plus lots of glue, plus a lack of insulation. I'd love to hear more about this if anyone knows.
Also, would love to know if anyone knows of simple Ikea style cabinetry for AS to purchase and install ourselves, or have installed.
Having said all that- a little bit about us:
Me: Married to Steve, three kids ages 22,19,15-busy-live in Bend, Oregon.
Me: a teacher of Language Arts/History/Drama/Journalism
Steve: Lawyer.
Three dogs, one cat.
If there are any local Central Oregon AS clubs or associations I would love to know.
Glad to be a part of the madness.
monainbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:51 AM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Welcome! Always nice to have another NW As in the group. You should definitely check out the Oregon Unit of the WBCCI. Also, we have a fairly active group of folks who gather for unofficial rallys as well - there is a lot of overlap between those affiliated with the WBCCI, and those who are not - we all get along

Congrats on the new Bambi!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:55 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by monainbend View Post
It is our silver anniversary this June-25 years-and we thought-"Hey, Airstreams are silver!" Happy anniversary to us! Just bought a 19' 2002 Bambi AS from our friends. We love it-of course, and we have lots of work to do on it-of course.
You're actually 15 years late— the 10th anniversary is the "aluminum" anniversary according to Hallmark, who ought to know. Anniversary Gifts by Year | Traditional Anniversary Gifts | Hallmark

But happy anniversary anyway, you lucky people! Welcome to the exalted ranks of Airstream ownership, and welcome to the Airstream Forums, your one-stop shopping place for all Airstream information.

Check out WBCCI, the "official" Airstream club. The acronym stands for "Wally Byam Caravan Club, International" a very pretentious name for a group of mostly non-pretentious Airstream owners. They have a Unit in Oregon; here's the link: http://www.wbcci.org/home/regions-an...-10/605-oregon It's not central Oregon, but don't let that put you off. After all, travel trailers are all about traveling…
Old 04-14-2015, 10:59 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. You've come to the right place to learn about Airstreaming. May you have many great adventures in your new baby. We would love to see pictures of her.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
As a happy owner of 2002 19' Bambi since it was new, I welcome you to an exclusive group!

Some recommendations:
Leave the mouse fur on the walls and ceiling. If it is dirty, clean it. If you think cleaning is a lot of work, you wouldn't believe how much work it would be to remove it and clean up that mess.
Don't even think of Ikea cabinets. That is not because of problems with those cabinets, but because fitting them into the rounded shape of your Bambi would be nearly impossible.

Over the years, we have made many detail changes in our Bambi, but have found it actually easy to keep clean and a great pleasure to use without tying to change the interior style.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Before you decide the mouse fur walls have to go, try cleaning with Folex professional carpet spot remover. This product will remove what can be cleaned and leave you with the best possible result. Decide if it is clean enough after everything dries. One bonus is the walls won't smell :-)
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote