Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Fayetteville , Tennessee
My Introduction

TNTOM should be quite obvious since my name is Tom and my wife and I live in south central Tennessee. We have been thinking about airstreaming for a couple of years and seriously looking for a used model for the past few months. We have never owned a camper and trying to be very cautious about how we start. And to this end we have set our goal to buy a used camper, no more than around 25/29 feet and has to be the aerodynamic airstream because we want to move a lot. We have a Toyota Tundra with v8 engin and towing package. Not pretty at the gas pump but a wonderful vehicle.
Have been reading a few threads and it appears that no question should go without answering. I especially like the way everyone tries to help and be positive. Great! Keep up the good work and hats off the administrators. Tom and Bettie
tntom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
The Adventure Begins

Tom and Bertie,
Weclome aboard. Have you checked out the classified adds in this forum? Your dream trailer may only be one click away. This is a great forum and has helped me immensely with everything from soup to nuts. I am sure you will have the same positivie experience. Remember to keep us posted on your search and once you have found your baby, please post pictures.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome to the forums!
You said you are looking for a used Airstream, but how used? Being cautious is a wise thing when looking for anything used and a used Airstream is no exception. Sadly many new owners are taken back by the true condition of the first trailer they bought. Knowledge is the best tool you can have when shopping. Good luck in finding the right trailer.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Hi Tom and welcome in.

You're ahead of the game already. You know what size you want and how you're gonna camp.

We're like you in that we'd rather travel than go and sit.

I was looking in the classifieds here the other day and there are several vintage units that will fit your needs for wieght and length.

A couple of tips if I may.

Make darn sure you two fit comfortably in the bed.

Make sure you fit with the elbow and knee room you need in the "throne room."

Those two things make a huge diference in traveling comfort.

If you find a trailer you like make sure to post pics of it here. there are folks here who at a glance can give you a very accurate condition report.

Good luck and have fun.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
1965 20' Globetrotter
Stephenville , Texas
Tom and Bettie:

Welcome to the Forums and the first stages of Aluminitis! Once you catch it there's no cure! (We're looking for our 4th Airstream now).

You've got to meet Tammy and John (Silver Threads). I don't know how far you are from Kingston but they are relatively new to Airstreams and have learned a lot and fast. Tammy especially has been very helpful to us. She made the drapes for our first Airstream motorhome and has sent us information about Airstreams for sale in Tennessee.

Good luck on your search and welcome to the Forums! Keep us posted on your progress and let us know if we can be watching for something specific for you.
Jimarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 02:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Hi Tom and Bettie and Welcome to the forums. This is a great site with a lot of well informed Airstreamers always willing to step up and help. Good luck on your search. Im not sure how close you are to Knoxville, but there seems to be a couple AS' in their paper from time to time.
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome Tom & Bettie,

You will find the Airstreaming life to be a great one! Good advice so far... here are a couple other ideas for you:

Check out the rally calendar and find one near you. Show up... usually on the "Saturdays" folks have their airstreams open for informal tours and such... just wander around and ask if you can look. Everyone enjoys showing off their 'stream ~ whether it is old, new or somewhere inbetween. It will give you a good chance to meet great folks and get some questions answered by those who actually use their rigs!

Here is also a couple different threads you might want to read if you haven't looked at them yet:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...eam-22920.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...tes-24793.html

Have fun!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:31 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Marietta , Ohio
Welcome

Tom and Bertie,
Welcome! You sure found the right place to do your home work before your big purchase! Good luck in your search!
Bethy Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Welcome to the forums

Hi Tom and Bettie,

A second to check the forum classifieds. I found my ’83 34’ Excella in the forums, only 100 miles away. Met nice people, too.

Look around, you will find what suits you. If you can, try to go to a rally where you can see just about everything. Last fall at Branson, there was an Airstream modified with a gooseneck hitch. It that doesn’t qualify under the “everything” category, I don’t know what does. See post #843 at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...-28724-61.html.

When you get your Airstream, you will become T(I)NTOM.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:24 PM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:11 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Fayetteville , Tennessee
Thanks to everyone for your kind remarks and the information. I am still trying to find my way around the forum. Learn something new everytime I log on. Thanks again. Tom
Old 04-21-2008, 03:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I have a 24ft Argosy that pulls well with my Tundra step-side V8 with towing package. I wouldn't want to take it in the Rockies because of all the "stuff" I've collected in it, but if you are more careful than I am you should have no trouble with vintage Airstreams/Argosys. We have a 31ft Sovereign, but I hesitate to pull it too far with the Tundra. To tell you the truth I think it weighs less than the fully loaded Argosy, but at 31ft I leave it to the new Ford with the 5.4L V8. It pulls like it wasn't even there. I like the Argosy but it became clear that we wanted a rear bedroom so I could stop pulling out and making up beds. If I was going for the shorter trailer, I'd get the two twins in the middle. Not as much storage, but you don't have to crawl over anyone or push the bed in every day. Now for the bathroom. I haven't found many that are large enough for any kind of comfort. Just nice to have when you need it, that's all. Finding your Airstream/Argosy is all part of the fun. Camping in it is worth all the frustration and work you put in. Good luck and if I can help you, please let me know.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
I was lucky that my Tundra came with a '69 Safari attached!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Olivier_071116_0357.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	58744

after dragging it back from VA to LA it became apparent that the really nasty bathroom floor (rotten) would require my renovating the bath...but I think the 23' Safari (which the Tundra tows brilliantly..Reese Hitch w/sway bars) has a fairly spacious bath given the trailer size...oh, and the toilet hasn't been re-installed yet..it DOES have a toilet (not just a hole in the floor!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Olivier_080410_6734.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	58745

Keep your eyes out for one...although I'd wait for a tandem axle if I was doing it again...there's some wonderful early 60's (beautiful interiors) and the late 70's to mid 80's are often in great shape and not used hard...good luck!
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:53 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Fayetteville , Tennessee
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645
Tom and Bertie,
Weclome aboard. Have you checked out the classified adds in this forum? Your dream trailer may only be one click away. This is a great forum and has helped me immensely with everything from soup to nuts. I am sure you will have the same positivie experience. Remember to keep us posted on your search and once you have found your baby, please post pictures.
Thanks for your reply and we are now looking at the classified adds in this forum. It is taking a little practic but getting there. The worst part is every time I find a really interesting one it is all the way across country -- but such is life I guess. We are trying to keep within 3 to 10 yrs old and hopefully that is a good decision. Hope to send pictures soon. Thanks again. Tom
Old 04-28-2008, 07:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Chin Up

Tom,
Keep looking. The persistence WILL pay off. I am the type of person who wants everything yesterday. It took us almost two years to locate our #2 AS. We ended up traveling from southeast PA to Columbus, OH for it. So keep looking, because it is half the fun. You get to see lots of trialers and you will learn what you do an do not like.

As for your trailer age bracket, it all depends on what you are willing to spend. I could not afford a second trailer in the 3-10 year bracket so I ended up with a 20 year old trailer that is in great condition. Some say the late 80's early 90's trialers are the war-horses (for lack of a better word). They were built tough and have survived quie nicely and usually take little to get into traveling trim.

So keep look and look at lots of them. As soon as you step into the one that is meant for you, you will know it. Please keep us posted on your progress.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #16
Aluminitus Carrier

1968 26' Overlander
south lake tahoe , California
Send a message via Skype™ to lovingtahoe
Hi Tom and welcome!

We started out with a 25 ft 1974 tradewind and it is still my favourite. I loved how usable and sturdy everything was even though it was 30+ years old. Good luck in your hunting

WBCCI - #4066 / Sierra Nevada Unit 157
TAC - # CA-9
South Lake Tahoe, California
lovingtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hi Tom,

I'm not sure whether or not you're checking Craigslist, but there always seem to be several Airstreams for sale in Tennessee. I don't know if any of the current listings match your criteria, but you should definitely check them every couple of days, because you never know what will turn up.

Good luck!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Sometimes you just have to get crazy and take off across country to get "your" trailer. Traveled 1600+ miles to El Paso for the Argosy, and about that far to Michigan to get the Sovereign. When you see what you want and you fall in love with it, distance doesn't count. Someone on here can usually go look at it for you. Good luck, I hope you find the trailer you're looking for.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:33 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Fayetteville , Tennessee
Tundra

Frist, good luck on the toilet repair job when you get around to it. Sounds like you have had quite experience with your Tundra pulling an airstream so you should be a good one to ask. We are looking at a 28 ft. Excella 2000 and would like your opinion about how a V8 Tundra will preform pulling it. It will certainlyu be an experience for me and to be truefull -- a bit nerveous. We plan to go look it over on Monday. Thanks for your help. Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop
I was lucky that my Tundra came with a '69 Safari attached!

Attachment 58744

after dragging it back from VA to LA it became apparent that the really nasty bathroom floor (rotten) would require my renovating the bath...but I think the 23' Safari (which the Tundra tows brilliantly..Reese Hitch w/sway bars) has a fairly spacious bath given the trailer size...oh, and the toilet hasn't been re-installed yet..it DOES have a toilet (not just a hole in the floor!)

Attachment 58745

Keep your eyes out for one...although I'd wait for a tandem axle if I was doing it again...there's some wonderful early 60's (beautiful interiors) and the late 70's to mid 80's are often in great shape and not used hard...good luck!