Old 10-29-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
APPLETON , Wisconsin
My intro.

Hey everyone!

So my name is Scott. 40 years old. I live in Wisconsin with my wife, Chrissy. I'm at a crossroads in my life. We both are, really. Maybe it's the fact that I turned 40 years old in August. Maybe it's the way my job has switched directions. It's probably for several reasons that I feel I'm standing at these crossroads more apparent now than ever.

My story right now is this: A few weeks ago, we began kicking around the idea of uprooting our lives and living in an Airstream full-time. We do not have any children nor do we plan on having any children. I've been feeling more and more lately like I'm not living my life. I'm hardly living. I'm simply going through the motions. This isn't living. It's surviving. Life is far too short to work for the weekends, but that's precisely what I'm doing. 3 weeks of vacation and a Saturday & Sunday every week are making me more and more depressed. I've been feeling more and more like I'm not having much purpose in life. My job is completely unsatisfying in every way. I don't make a difference in anyone's life from a career-standpoint. The alarm clock goes off at 5 o'clock in the morning & it's painful.

Why do we do this? Why do we suffer through 55+ hours every single week doing something we don't want to do in our lives? Life is simply far too short for this kind of torture. This isn't a dress rehearsal. We get one shot at this thing we call "life" and I've wasted far too many years thus far doing monotonous work that simply makes no difference to anyone at all. It's the same stupid questions dealing with the same stupid people every single day.

It is time for a change.

My wife & I are still in the very early preliminary stage of this grand scheme we've begun planning. Sell everything. Sell our home. Buy an Airstream. And then? this rat race adieu and see things in life most people never get to see. We have the entire contiguous U.S. to see and dammit, I want to see it. I don't want to do what I'm doing and suffer through this for another 25+ years. I know so many people in today's day & age who have to work 'til they die. And for what? ...he who dies with the most stuff & the most money still die. You can't take any of it to your grave so what in the world are we doing? What exactly are we working for? ...because society says we have to? ...because that's what your friends and family are doing? It simply doesn't add up and I don't want to subject myself to it any longer than I absolutely have to.

I've been reading blogs and gathering data mostly from other full-time RV'ers. I'm curious to know their stories, how they ended up where they are and what it took to make that happen. I don't know what sort of timeline we have. We have zero credit card debt and very minimal debt, overall. We essentially just have our mortgage, my wife's student loan & a car payment. If there are any other blogs anyone can recommend from individuals who are doing or have done what I'm wanting to accomplish, I'd love to hear about them. I've read through the most of the "full-time" section and enjoy reading those stories and I applaud those of you who have ditched society's way of life.

I don't have much else to add except that I'm excited to be a member here and hope to one day be able to add the model of Airstream we own to my profile.

Best regards & 1st post ever!! *w00t!*

- Scott.
PSYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:25 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Sounds like a plan. Go for it.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Wow!! You are thinking of doing exactly what I wish I had the guts to do! You have the perfect everything to do just that! I do have children - although adult and grandchildren. My husband and I also own our own business with debt. I will tell you, if your wife is on board, go for it! Nothing says, you can't go back if you decide it's not for you. We are fortunate enough to be able to take 2-3-4 weeks at a time and just came back from a 10 day trip to the Smoky Mountains. In one of the campgrounds, we met a nice couple that are full timers. He is a retired teacher, she is still teaching. She gets up in the morning and goes to school, has her spring break and summers free and they travel! They love it! Seemed so stress free and were LIVING LIFE!! My mother whom I adored died of breast cancer before she was ever able to retire. I was 35. I swore I was NEVER going to let that happen to me. We never know what tomorrow is going to bring. I am going to live for today and if tomorrow never comes, well to hell with it, I've had fun today. THAT is what it is all about. You have got to live your life like there is no tomorrow. Go to that dance today. I'm sorry, I know I'm not answering your questions about blogs, just giving you my opinions, but I know for a fact there are a lot of blogs out there about full timing. I hope to be able to do so one day, but until then, I will take off when the mood strikes me and will come back when I'm ready. I may have to work a lot on the road, but I'm good with that. I will enjoy the great USA while I am healthy and able to do so! Best of luck to you! I will be thinking of you and praying you will make the right decision for you and your wife!

Laura & Tom
Let the good times roll!! Laura
Remax gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
APPLETON , Wisconsin
Thank you! Forget the blog question. I'm appreciate your input!

My Mom has worked almost her entire life. She's now almost 70 and finally "retired", but now, she's too exhaust and simply feels "too old" to do much of anything. Her only form of entertainment is the television. She has had a few other medical issues, as well.

I don't want that to be my wife and I. I'm willing to sacrifice a "home base" and the oodles amount of "stuff" that we tend to saturate our lives with in order to live this life of being able to travel non-stop. It's almost as though the "stuff" we buy in this life is supposed to compensate for the happiness we lack. I don't know. I'm simply writing out loud, so to speak.

I don't want "stuff" anymore. I don't want to do something every single week that I don't want to do. I don't want to go to a place for 55+ hours each week where I know I don't want to be. I don't want to get up and go to work and go home and go to sleep and then get up and go to work and then go home and go to sleep and then get up and go to work and then go home and go to sleep. Days blur from one day to the next. I have meetings about meetings about meetings and I know for a fact I make zero difference in my daily work life. It's exhausting and as each day comes and goes, it is becoming more painfully aware to me that I don't want to do this anymore. This isn't living to me. I don't want to survive. I want to thrive.
- Scott.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
I guess I spilled my heart out, but it's how I feel! We probably had no business buying an Airstream, but once again...what the hell, why not enjoy our LIFE NOW! Enjoy it, we are. My husband is 63, I am 58. We bought our first Airstream, a 2014 27 Eddie Bauer in February. Had our daughter's wedding in Tampa in March ( of course took the Airstream) and then our niece got married in St. Augustine in April. Took our "True Love" to St. Augustine and took off from there after the wedding - no real plans other than we were heading out west. Were gone a total of 28 days and had an absolute BLAST. Tried to take as many back roads as possible, but interstate when we just wanted to get past places already been. Other than that, we have taken shorter trips to local State Parks or local parks (we live in Central Florida) with our grandchildren or with friends until just now when we took for for the Smokies. We have a real estate business, so other than physically show a home, I can write contracts, negotiate deals, schedule listing appointments, etc. so it is a little more flexible than most businesses. When I am home, I am more than willing and able to work 12 hour days 7 days a week - I'm good with that as long as I can take off when the road calls me!! I hope I helped! Feel free to private message me if you want to talk further. I am passionate about this - obviously! Good luck!!

Laura & Tom
Let the good times roll!! Laura
Remax gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:54 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
APPLETON , Wisconsin
Thanks, Laura!!

I will take you up on that offer and shoot you a PM tomorrow.
All the best to you!
- Scott.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A material life is not satisfying to most.

Find a purpose in what you do and something to look forward to each day. Plan something fun and adventurous each weekend, explore a hobby that you are truly interested in. Be a part of a good church or benevolent organization. Love your wife and let her know it. You've got the best foot ball team in NFL history, be a passionate fan, hate the Vikings and Bears. Sympathize with the Lions. You live in a beautiful and diverse state, explore it, bike it, camp it, go to the Harley factory, ride one and love it in spite of its faults.

I can't endorse dropping out of the work force and trying to travel in an Airstream without a plan to support it financially for the next 40 years or so. But a life of even the simplest purpose can be a joy and something to look forward to. Even Thoreau, America's most famous dropout, lived as a hermit in the woods for only two years before he got tired of it and took up writing and community life.

Set a goal of age 55 to buy the Airstream and hit the road. Don't buy it now or you'll never meet that goal. Save all you can, use no credit, buy only what you need, and laugh at the fools building a great credit score. It will come sooner than you think and you will be ready for it and plenty young to enjoy many, many good years together seeing North America.
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:17 PM   #8
2006 19' International CCD
Denville , New Jersey
Go dog go,.... go, go, go, a line from a favorite book. I am with you all the way. Full time is not in my cards due to my business, but my business allows me to be on the road long periods of time. And that is a great thing, so fly if you can, live your buck, keep it simple and just go. Wish u the best.
2006 Bambi CCD ("EireStream!!")
2010 Funfinder
2005 T@B
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:46 AM   #9
2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Full timing is what we are doing. If you wait until you can afford it, like having children, you will either never do it, or, be too old to fully enjoy it. Get your plan together, look at new and used AS, and go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

AIR 71620
WBCCI 5809 Reg 5 Unit 041
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master
2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Oh dear, you do need help. You need some tharapy and a lot of counciling.

Fortunately, you have arrived at just the right place. We can help. Your life is about to change for the better.

The best part is, tharapy here is free.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #11
Avion Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
My wife and I are in a bit better shape financially.... just our house payment to consider. I have a hectic job, but I DO enjoy it, mostly. "Stupid people" are everywhere, believe me! sometimes I dream of doing what you are planning to do.

I am 51, and could consider retiring at 55. I'm wondering what will finance your wandering? Other than that, I'm 100% with you on what you'd like to do.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:50 AM   #12
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I wish we could live in the Airstream, but my wife and I aren't on the same page.
As it is, we'll take our 3 weeks vacation, weekends, and holidays and go campin'.
We used to say when we retire we would buy an RV and travel. After the bad economy of 2008 I said, "Why wait? Let's do it now."
...and we did...
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:26 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member
APPLETON , Wisconsin
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

So... as I continue to endure the pain and unsatisfying feeling of full-time employment at a place where I make zero difference day in and day out, I don't have much resolution at this point to make this a reality any sooner than I can.

I do like the thought of proposing a goal of being out and on the road by the time I'm 55 years old. In reality, my wife & I can continue to live frugally as we usually do and continue plugging along at everyday life. Thankfully, my wife and I are on the same page and she wants this reality just as bad, if not more, than I do myself.

I'd continue to think out loud with all of you, but alas, I'm on my lunch break at work and I think I hear the monkeys getting angry.
- Scott.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Good luck on your plan coming together, you will have many supporters and watchers on your way.

There is a thread here for fulltimers so that will be helpful. Many readers will chime in with their favorite "full time" reads. If your thread becomes stagnant or lingers just bump it with an update on how things are going and someone else will chime in.

A few I saw just this morning:
Long long honeymoon, online
A dream begins, here on forum ( lists several full timers)
Technomadia, online, fulltimers but not Airstreamers

Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote