Old 11-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #43
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Most on- road employment is poorly paid. Suggest looking at "skilled labor" classified jobs. There are jobs which last weeks, months and years under pretty decent contractual agreements. IOW be the necessary man at the necessary place. Time off between assignments can be significant.

In like vein having the skill and the tools to maintain and repair a house or a car. An RV is some of both. There are tools, manuals and some expertise which needs acquiring, IMO.

We live in the worst country of the so-called civilized world. Designed to take not only every hour, but every dollar as well. There'll be a jumping off point which does mean leaving behind the fiction of security (for such it truly is). So an exit from travel, not just an entrance is to your advantage to consider. A complete picture. This is no longer 1970.

A TT is a great thing for shirtsleeve weather. A screened room under the main awning and the windows and roof vents open on a comfortable night. But there may extended periods of residence at close quarter RV parks buttoned up in heat or cold with Walmart the only supplier at hand and work that dos not have 9-5 hours with weekends off. This is much, too much, for some. Figure out what you'd entertain.

Heck, my weekends as family man were taken up with house maintenance and gardening (both of such I more than enjoyed). My weekends today are usually midweek by choice. And I sure don't miss commuter hours, etc. I don't make as much but overhead is radically lower. I don't have as much time off, but what there is far more free. I've always made time to read, but I now have time to think. The trades necessary were easy for me. Here's hope yours won't be overly difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:13 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
There is a lot of 'life experience' being handed you. As an artist, or at least one who supports their efforts which are about documenting and exploring life, you are pulled in hopeful dreams... I get that .... good for you.

I've seen "security" vaporize in a be standing alone.. a visceral experience like no other... that life lesson was very early.

Folks are offering you the brutal reality because they want you to succeed, not for you to throw in the towel. With 'wisdom' offered and your own situation, you may be able to foresee difficulty we cannot. WE understand that.

For our 3 sons, all we can do is ask..."have you considered/thought of/gathered information" about whatever they are up to... if they have the answers and are aware of the possibilities, both positive and otherwise, I give them my prayerful support.... and sometimes... not often I add "I know that is gonna hurt!"....

Hope you find your wings and learn to fly very well.

Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote