Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2019, 04:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Americus , Georgia
My husband thinks I’m crazy...

Hey y’all!

Like many of you, I have always dreamt of owning an Airstream and, as of today, I am the proud owner of (what I think is) a ‘68 Globetrotter. The electrical has been wired but not attached and the interior is down to the skins (and in some places the shell). I have never owned a camper but found this beauty and decided to leap as a fun adventure for my young family. Any and all of your help is GREATLY appreciated!! Right now I’m mainly interested in getting the electrical in place so that we can confirm the layout!

Thanks!

Newest happy camper 😊
Mrsfoote424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Welcome, a 68 Trotter is a neat trailer. If need be, ask the questions and they’ll be answered. The hardest part is choosing the method of renovation that fits you. Your trailer, your way, then enjoy. Good luck
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:45 PM   #3
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Congrats and welcome to the forum!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Congratulations...and some questions to help guide the advice you will be given.
If as you say it is pretty well gutted and you want to install the electric, I would think you need to know what you want where to know what electric to install?
Maybe some more info on your wants, needs, dreams to help guide things along a bit? Also, some info on what electric is there to be installed?
Just some things to consider to help you get the best advice possible.
Bob
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:28 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Americus , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Congratulations...and some questions to help guide the advice you will be given.
If as you say it is pretty well gutted and you want to install the electric, I would think you need to know what you want where to know what electric to install?
Maybe some more info on your wants, needs, dreams to help guide things along a bit? Also, some info on what electric is there to be installed?
Just some things to consider to help you get the best advice possible.
Bob
Thanks Bob! The electric wires were already installed and run through some of the skins but they were never hooked up to a power source... we have an idea of the layout we want but would love ideas to incorporate! It still has the original folding table so we would like to use it but that’s about it ��
Old 05-28-2019, 07:29 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Americus , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
Welcome, a 68 Trotter is a neat trailer. If need be, ask the questions and they’ll be answered. The hardest part is choosing the method of renovation that fits you. Your trailer, your way, then enjoy. Good luck
Thank you for the advice!
Old 05-28-2019, 07:30 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Americus , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Congrats and welcome to the forum!
Thank you! Excited to learn from all of you!
Old 05-29-2019, 11:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
If you're already to the skins and the shell in some places, finish doing the walls correctly while you have the opportunity (you can't do it later!). A good Airstream needs good insulation. The original is shot, guaranteed. Remove the remaining skins, remove the rotten pink stuff, run your wiring and the vents for your plumbing, install polyisocyanurate panels or have someone professionally install spray foam using a "cold spray" method, seal everything with foil tape if you used the polyiso, lay sill plate foam over the ribs (thermal barrier), and reattach your skins.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado: Welcome to these Airstream Forums and the vintage Airstream hobby. You have purchased a "project trailer" and from the sounds of it, you will be starting from scratch. Don't be overwhelmed, just jump into these Forums and learn all about 1968 Airstreams. They are very unique indeed, and some say one of the best vintage trailers. The body style completely changed in 1969.

Find the Airstream Knowledgebase toward the bottom of the Forums page. Then find Airstream Trailers, and click on Globetrotter. Finally select your year range. Then start reading project threads of all the folks who have renovated these vintage beauties. You will learn how the trailers are built, and what upgrades would be desirable for you. While you are learning, save up about $15k as I bet that will be the cost of materials for getting a "travel ready" Globetrotter. At least that is about what I spent on my former 66 Trade Wind. See, your husband was right! My wife thinks I'm crazy, and she be right.

Be careful with the unique windows in your Globetrotter. They are difficult to replace. You will learn all about Corning curved glass windows in the project threads.

Search and find Aluminuminum's thread on his renovation of his 68 Globetrotter. It is a great read.

Hope this helps a bit.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1708 Sale Curb Shade-800x600.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	342053   Click image for larger version

Name:	1708 Sale Gaucho 1 (Small).JPG
Views:	46
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	342054  

WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:40 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Americus , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Hello from Colorado: Welcome to these Airstream Forums and the vintage Airstream hobby. You have purchased a "project trailer" and from the sounds of it, you will be starting from scratch. Don't be overwhelmed, just jump into these Forums and learn all about 1968 Airstreams. They are very unique indeed, and some say one of the best vintage trailers. The body style completely changed in 1969.

Find the Airstream Knowledgebase toward the bottom of the Forums page. Then find Airstream Trailers, and click on Globetrotter. Finally select your year range. Then start reading project threads of all the folks who have renovated these vintage beauties. You will learn how the trailers are built, and what upgrades would be desirable for you. While you are learning, save up about $15k as I bet that will be the cost of materials for getting a "travel ready" Globetrotter. At least that is about what I spent on my former 66 Trade Wind. See, your husband was right! My wife thinks I'm crazy, and she be right.

Be careful with the unique windows in your Globetrotter. They are difficult to replace. You will learn all about Corning curved glass windows in the project threads.

Search and find Aluminuminum's thread on his renovation of his 68 Globetrotter. It is a great read.

Hope this helps a bit.

David
David, thank you so much! I had no idea I could centrally locate my specific model in the forum - I’ve basically been meandering around trying to find information to get us started! We are starting from scratch and feeling overwhelmed but anxious and excited to get started. Your advice has already been a big help!!