Old 09-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Shoot, take pics with family inside!!!!! Break out the Pine Sol and clean up a bit then camp at least once in it!

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1964 26' Overlander
1954 29' Liner
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Heck yes just clean it up and then use it! My 57 Caravanner had the original mattress and gaucho (which really stunk) in it and we camped in it 4 hours after we picked it up after a few weekends cleaning it up I realized the trailer was still in good shape. I did a little work, installed a new hot water heater, minor plumbing repairs a fantastic vent and a new intelli-charger. The trailer has given me over 2 years and 20k miles of adventure and is still going strong

Don't rush into tearing yours up if you can hold back....but if you can't hold off then just document everything, don't destroy everything, remember the trailer was assembled from back to front so take it apart in the reverse order.

Most of all enjoy!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2126705007.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	441.3 KB
ID:	194979

Old 09-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Is that a green shag rug I see?????

You're right fix up that stove and keep it.

Welcome to your new adventure.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Telluride , Colorado
Wow, nice looking trailer. Purdiferis
Old 09-22-2013, 01:56 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Moscow , Idaho
Thank you all!

Thanks for the great advice and kind words. As they say the airstream community is one of the best online communities ever! So, I take a threat about Naddy's renovation (I call it a threat since we also have the blog on blogspot) where I think it belongs (?) in the trailer-specific forum under '1957 Overlander'
Actually, Naddy was built in 1956 (second last serial number for that year in Ohio) but I am sure it is a '57 model. Heck, who cares, that is where her threat is.
I have begun carefully disassembling her from the front and documenting all parts while I do that. And I also mess around a little with bumpers and the frame.
Naddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:39 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Moscow , Idaho
Hi all!
Thanks so much for the great advice and kind words. Meanwhile, three orders have been placed with Harborfreight Tools, Vintage Trailer Supplies and Amazon and I feel equipped to get going.
Following your advice I began to disassemble the trailer front to back and I mark pretty much everything. BTW, the front gaucho frame is in pretty good shape and once I am done using it as template it will be up for grabs since I need a dinette in the front of the trailer.
The green shag (added in 60s or 70s was real and the mice loved it. I am not officially weighing but must be at removing more than 5 pounds of mice poop at this point.

In any case, you want pictures and I want to provide. So, I have taking Naddy's renovation thread to the '1957 Overlander' trailer forum and of course there is a detailed blog on blogspot.
Thanks guys!
Old 09-22-2013, 02:42 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Moscow , Idaho
Ooops - double posting. How embarrassing. Sorry, will learn my way around here.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:04 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
kettering , northants
Hi

Hi Mark,
Good luck with the old lady, i have a 59 built Avion H24 (actually 25ft long!)
very similar layout to you, i'm just replacing the floor at the moment.
I notice on your Blog, that you had the tubular bumper, my Avion also has this, i believe this was for the Sewer hose storage, i think you call them "stinky slinkys" ?
BTW, how straight forward is it to do a blog ? as i would love to do it with the Avion, i had a 73 Overlander and regretted not doing one with the Airstream.

Cheers for now
Tim
Old 09-22-2013, 05:00 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Sounds like your doing great so far will go to your blog for the pictures! Remember don't let yourself get frustrated or overwhelmed by the project when you do take a break! Then once refreshed you will see things in a different light and the fun starts all over!
Cliff
Old 09-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I just refreshed my view of that awesome blog and wanted to tell you before you pop the top (shell off) or remove that floor make a template because you do not have enough floor to use as a template! Paper cardboard or cheap paneling will work from the inside! Things relax and flex without the floor and since the belly pan may need to come off anyway do the templat now and save some frustration.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:54 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Belly pan removal for frame repair sometimes it is necessary.
Cliff
Old 09-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Moscow , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
I just refreshed my view of that awesome blog and wanted to tell you before you pop the top (shell off) or remove that floor make a template because you do not have enough floor to use as a template! Paper cardboard or cheap paneling will work from the inside! Things relax and flex without the floor and since the belly pan may need to come off anyway do the templat now and save some frustration.

Hi Cliff,
Thanks for your great advice. I just had yesterday the same realization. AT least in the front and also in the back I will need a template and I should make them now.
I want - well I have to replace the belly pan anyway so that one will at some point come off. That said I really really would like to leave the shell on. Mostly because it is getting really wet, stormy and cold in fall and winter here and I would like to work in the trailer throughout the winter (and so does my wife ). My trailer sits on my driveway and now I wish I would have a big old barn - but I don't.

Thanks also for pointing out that you have to bleed on your trailer. That post made me laugh and sure enough I cut myself on a piece of metal in the trailer the next day. That made me laugh even harder
Old 09-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Moscow , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Hi Mark,
Good luck with the old lady, i have a 59 built Avion H24 (actually 25ft long!)
very similar layout to you, i'm just replacing the floor at the moment.
I notice on your Blog, that you had the tubular bumper, my Avion also has this, i believe this was for the Sewer hose storage, i think you call them "stinky slinkys" ?
BTW, how straight forward is it to do a blog ? as i would love to do it with the Avion, i had a 73 Overlander and regretted not doing one with the Airstream.

Cheers for now
Tim
Hi Tim,
Blogs have become super super easy. I think most folks here on the forum use www.blogspot.com and that is basically Google's blogger application. So in case you have a Gmail email account you just use just that as your log on. Or you create a new account. It's all fee. Blogspot has a bunch of templates to choose from and you can basically start typing away. If you want you can customize templates (text, fonts , colors and so on but you don't have to and you learn that on the go but again they make it really a simple thing.
Try it out. Cheers - Mark
Old 09-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Don't forget to add for the c channel but I am betting that you know that already! I am kinda glad that mine is a caravel cause at my age I can not afford more than a pint of blood! Lol
Cliff