Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

darlington , durham
My Airdream

Hi from across the pond, I hope this is in the right thread, Just a quick note to show you people, those who are interested of course of my latest project, I have owned a 1962 VW Campmobile for a number of years and have always wanted an Airstream to pull behind it for camping, meets and shows, But alas the price of airstreams over here is way beyond my pocket, and a little 1500cc single port engine aint the best muscle to haul. So I decided to make a mini Airstream type trailer.
I bought an old trailer off ebay and pulled it to bits, made a new chassis and plywood floor.
The frame or ribs I have made with a product used in construction to form internal walls in housing called gypframe its a U channel made from tin, I snipped the sides to make a nice curve with 2 pieces snipped and curved, 1 slotted into the other then formed round a template of the curve I wanted these are then rivetted together to to make a sturdy box frame.
The skin is made from .8mm ally sheet and is currently ongoing.
If anyone is interested in a mad Brit trying to reproduce an American Icon I will post more if wanted
lucifar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Post the entire deal,looks like it may be a very nice luggage hauler.
And welcome to the Forum,always room for a few more crazy people. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

darlington , durham
Luggage hauler The Grandkids are going in there..................................only joking. I will probably fill it with stuff we only use once in a blue moon.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I like it!
This is not just a luggage hauler. The grandkids would probably throw all the luggage out to make room for them. Maybe this is a prototype for what Airstream should be building.
Thanks. Please share the rest of the build.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I've often thought about making a smaller trailer to tow behind my classic AS MH. I would love to see more photos as you progress.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:51 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

darlington , durham
OK thanks for the encouragement.
A smaller section of aluminium angle was used to construct the front section tighter curves as the gypframe prove to be too wide.

The rivets I decided on are a stainless steel blind rivet with a neoprene washer. I pull the rivet to a point where the washer is sealed to the frame, then cut the of the rivet off and grind the remainder with a dremel. No rivet shavers here, too expensive.
Homemade cleco's made the job of holding the panels together a lot easier as well.
The skins have been sealed with sikaflex and isolated from the the ribs with gaffa tape to stop any corrosion from the dissimilar metals.
The hard bit is acheiving the nice rounded look with the segments, this is just trial and error, as is nearly all of this project
I'll update more later
Old 03-29-2010, 12:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, this is really neat. Keep the story and pictures coming. I like it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I like what you are making also. With me, however, I find that when I build my own projects they usually cost more than buying a factory made product. BUT, the feeling of building ones own....well that is PRICELESS.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Ok.. we've got to come up with a name for this... it's so cute. The Bee?? I can't wait to see it from all sides. It would be a very nice "tin tent" to go camping with-- I like it! Rae

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I wish I had the skills to make a slide in camper like that for my TV,something like the Avion. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Great project, Lucifar, it's looking really good so far. I really like your home-made clecos, quite clever.

I don't know if you've seen it, but there is a an AirForums member who cut down a larger Airstream to make a much smaller one. It's not quite the same as yours, since you are constructing yours from scratch, but if you're interested in seeing what he did, his thread is here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f191...pod-37710.html

Please keep the updates coming.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Really looking Great!!!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:24 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

darlington , durham
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
I like what you are making also. With me, however, I find that when I build my own projects they usually cost more than buying a factory made product. BUT, the feeling of building ones own....well that is PRICELESS.
Neil.
I know what you mean Neil, I have a good friend who has given me the rivets and the ally angle, If I had to buy that gear my budget would be well gone, I am reckoning about £600/$900 to complete. Considering a decent vintage Bambi goes for about £14000/$21000, The ally sheet is the biggest cost about £20/$30 a sq/m and like you say the acheivement of constructing from something from scratch, puts the cost in perspective.
Gary
Old 03-29-2010, 01:30 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

darlington , durham
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Great project, Lucifar, it's looking really good so far. I really like your home-made clecos, quite clever.

I don't know if you've seen it, but there is a an AirForums member who cut down a larger Airstream to make a much smaller one. It's not quite the same as yours, since you are constructing yours from scratch, but if you're interested in seeing what he did, his thread is here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f191...pod-37710.html

Please keep the updates coming.

-Marcus
That is unbelievable, The quality of work is second to none, I wish I could produce that quality beavering away in my small garage, Oh to have plasma cutters and loads of bench space. Maybe one day
Old 03-31-2010, 01:39 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

darlington , durham
Some more updates-
Next I constructed the 2 endcaps prior to fitting the the side panels and roof, I plan on 1 rear side hinged door, that I may use as access to a small bar area, blocked off from the main interior of the trailer, which should please our camping and show buddies.

I am getting surface scratches on the sheet ally, you just have to look at it to mark it, any tips on gatting rid of these and polishing would be greatly appreciated.
More to follow
Old 04-11-2010, 01:18 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

darlington , durham

Side Panel and roof now in place with the wheel arch formed and window cut out, I was hoping to have an opening window as I have some old hehr crank handles, but for now I am just going to have a fixed window as trying to design and fabricate an opening frame is proving a bit too involved, Its now time for the fiddly bits ie grinding down the rivets, sealing the joints inside with extra sikaflex sealant.
More to follow
Old 04-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

darlington , durham
A bit more done, Its getting to the show season now here in th UK so I am not getting as much done as I want, Anyway I have been concentrating on the small rear door, basically its an ally frame with 4mm ply sheet then skinned with the ally sheet. folded round the edges.

Door test fitted

Side window now edged with mitred ally strip

More to follow
Old 09-05-2012, 01:00 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

darlington , durham
Well, its been a while since an update, I've had a few hold ups so the trailer went on the back burner for a while, but anyway some more progress has been made and the exterior is nearly finished
I got hold of some nice stainless marine hinges that I modified to fit the rear door.

I have constructed a side hatch for easy access the same method as the rear door and fitted that with 2 fruit machine locks for security

We are just about to set off on our first camping trip in her so time is short and I'll update with some more pics when I get back.
Cheers
Old 09-05-2012, 01:36 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, looking really good; Keep the updates coming.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:42 AM   #20
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Throughly enjoyed watching the progress to date. Enjoy your first outing!
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote