Old 07-15-2006, 12:55 AM   #1
Currently Looking...
Zihuatanejo , GRO
Send a message via AIM to IzZihua Send a message via MSN to IzZihua Send a message via Yahoo to IzZihua
Mucho Gusto - New Member South of the Border

Hello and Hola!

I'm a 27 year old US expat who has been living in Mexico for the past 2 1/2 years and am putting together plans to finally realize my dream of living full-time in an Airstream travel trailer. I won't be traveling much in my Airstream but will rather be "beached"... literally! I've wanted to do this for over 6 years now but life's circumstances have never allowed it. I fell in love with the Airstream when friends bought one and traveled throughout the US for 2 years. I spent three weeks trailer-sitting and was hooked. Little by little, factors have fallen into place that will not only allow my own Airstream Life to begin but make it ideal. I hope to return to the States to find my new home in the mid-to-late fall and bring it back down by December when a brand new luxury beachfront trailer park will be opening here. I'm working with the new owners to get wifi and other amenities put in so I can continue to telecommute while living there - and to help lure other professionals to come stay there for their working-surfing vacations.

I'm so excited that I've already started parsing down my possessions; talk about liberating! I moved to Mexico with 2 suitcases and a laptop but it's amazing how much crap I've accumulated while renting a large house. I kept telling myself I *needed* it all so the house would look "lived in." And yet, I was much happier when I lived on a boat for 6 months and when I lived in a small (300 sq feet!) Boston studio apartment so I know I'll be able to handle trailer life... And the beach will be just a few steps away from my door!

I've been lurking on the forums for over a month now as I put together my grand Airstream Dream Scheme. I thought I knew exactly which Airstream I wanted when I first arrived at these message boards but now I'm open to quite a few models thanks to the forums. I probably won't narrow it down until I get back to the States and can actually get inside a few and feel them out. Although the idea of renovating a vintage Airstream is appealing, I want a newer used trailer (about a decade old is optimum) for the best cost to living-readiness ratio. You all have provided me a wealth of information, especially about solar power and technology. The trailer park will provide electricity hook ups but I'm hoping to use the tropical sun - and possibly las brisas del mar (the ocean breezes) for most of my power. I'd love to live completely off the grid but my computer and internet usage as a writer and web designer probably won't allow it.

I'd love to hear from other young single artists and professionals who have turned an Airstream into their telecommuting paradise and, of course, from Airstreamers who have traveled (or, better yet, lived!) in Mexico. I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions as my search progresses & purchase date get closer but for now, I just wanted to say a quick "Hola" and "Gracias" for all of your help thus far.

IzZihua is offline   Reply With Quote