Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Blountville , Tennessee
Interesting idea, Twinke58. And that brings up a question that has been running thru my mind. Is there an agreed definition of what constitutes a Vintage AS? Pre-2000 or pre-1990, or Pre-one of the company ownership changes? I suspect this might start a lively discussion.
Although I am an engineer, I have been retired long enough that I don't really want to get into the reno and repair business...I do want things to work as they should in the TT I eventually buy. That said, I run a 1994 inboard boat, and only recently sold a 1999 Toyota LC to my son (and bought an '06 LC). OK, I'll sit back and listen to the collective wisdom for a bit.
Rjavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Blountville , Tennessee
Well said, Slowmover; and I completely understand that a Cummins Diesel long WB duelly is far better for many TTs and situations. It is just that, although I am certainly going to spend a lot of time and study before buying, right now I don't contemplate throwing $75,000 into the pot to see if this is something my wife really want to spend several years doing. We shall see.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:39 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Blountville , Tennessee
I couldn't have said it better FCStreamer. Still feeling my way around this issue.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:46 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Blountville , Tennessee
I would add that I have logged around 2.5 million miles without an accident (and, yes, I realize it could happen tomorrow; that is part of the reason I've had no accidents). Around 250,000 of those miles were in an LC, and about that same number towing a 3000# trailer. I do recognize the issue with winds, and would NEVER be driving fast in high winds.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:10 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Blountville , Tennessee
I think this needs to be said, Slowmover: There are plenty of people that would think there would be far better choices in a TT than your 26 year old Silver Streak. I don't see anyone trying to talk you out of keeping that.
There should be lots of room for discussion of the issues without trying to shout down others. I already was aware that there were better choices as a tow vehicle than the one I already own: hence my question as to whether or not there is a smaller/lighter TT that might be suitable for 4 adults. That remains to be my question...although at this point, it seems unlikely.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:49 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
A vintage Airstream is 25 years and older. The 50's, 60's, and 70's are lighter. My 62 Tradewind is tall and narrow. She's a 24 ft. 3200 lbs on the dry loaded 4000 lbs. now the tires are rated at 65 mph but I got about 60. I have a 1500 Dodge pu to pull it with. The reason the blue boy I have. I would like and SUV but I didn't want the blue boy in the SUV.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1474624165.177289.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	272197

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:37 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Easy Answer

As others suggested, a 1960's or 1970's era trailer will meet the weight concerns you have. I'd personally go for that era of trailer (1960's, 70's model) in an "Overlander" model which comes in at 26-27 feet. The standard models come with either a double or two twins in the rear, then in the front you'll have a double bed, if its not comfortable enough for you, convert it to a twin setup in the front/rear to give you more each a single bed and a dinette up front.

Since there's a bunch of the models out there, it could be sitting in your driveway by Oct.

Enjoy,
Old 09-23-2016, 08:14 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Blountville , Tennessee
Thanks for the excellent info, Twinke 58. So the "Vintage" designation is the same as for cars...and the latest vintage model is '91, as of of now. Is yours a single or dual axle? Do you know how much tongue weight you are running. I'm guessing Blue Boy is a dog? We have two full size golden doodles, and will be making room in the rear of the LC.
That raises another issue. Is travelling with dogs a hassle? Do you run into a lot of restrictions? Again, thanks!
Old 09-23-2016, 08:19 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Blountville , Tennessee
Very interesting Rideair. That is quite useful info. I assume most 60-70's TTs have been redone, so that it is possible to find one in which things work as intended. As I mentioned earlier, while I am capable of repairs and reno's, I'm at the stage where I'd just rather not.
Can you say what is the general price range of 60-70's Overlanders in good running/using condition might be? Sounds like I might be interested...at least in looking at a few.
Thanks!
Old 09-23-2016, 08:44 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
If I had to do it over I would have found a 1974 vs 1973, simply because starting in 74 all air stream models had black and gray holding tanks. My 73 24' Argosy has a GVWR of 5800lbs. and has an ADULT sleeping capacity of six. It is very easily towed by any 1/2 ton truck or suv. Not trying to ruffle any feathers but I would steer clear of any tow vehicle that is of uni body design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1474641199651.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	272214  
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:01 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I think the reference to blue boy was to a portable waste tank?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:38 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Blountville , Tennessee
Good info, 1973Argosy. I do think having both holding tanks would be worthwhile. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2016, 10:40 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Blountville , Tennessee
Thanks for being nice about my naivete', Avionstream. I don't want a portable waste tank in my LC either, LOL.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:49 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjavery View Post
Useful info, Mandolin Dave. I'm beginning to figure out that TTs weren't really made for more than two. However, we prefer to travel with friends or family, and it doesn't make sense to me to have two TTs running all over the country in tandem. What to do?
You may want to tell your friends/family to come up with their own place to sleep. Have them bring a tent and put it on the same campsite. I have traveled with other adults before and the space in a trailer is a premium no matter what size the trailer. When I travel I want my own bed, bathroom, shower and favorite food. A trailer is small and it becomes your "personal space".
Have you ever looked at a hybrid trailer - there is a lot of floor space in those.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:52 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
One needs to read and then understand the formulaic way Andrew Thomson makes judgments of this sort.
I have been intrigued by Mr Thomson's work for a while. Much of what he says makes sense. But he completely lost me on the rollover thread.

Thomson said the Lexus GX460 was a poor choice of a TV due to its center of gravity. He recommended a Lexus RX350 in its place.

GX460 has body on frame construction, and is rated to pull 6500#
RX350 has unibody contruction, and it rated to pull 3500#

I can't imagine recommending the RX for anything but the smallest trailer. I'm more inclined to trust the engineering department at Toyota over the recommendation of this one man.

As has been said, none of our trailers were built for speed above 65 mph. I'm completely convinced that the GX is an excellent tow vehicle when towing within its capacities. Likewise, the LC is an excellent truck. As long as it is used within its stated limits, it should perform stupendously.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:56 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Though mostly original, our trailer was fully functional when we bought it. The original owners had removed the gaucho from the front and replaced the toilet with a porta-potty. We certainly could have used as is, but since we considered this trailer a once-in-a-lifetime buy, we were fine with a once-in-a-lifetime project. We didn't need to replace the subfloor or rip out the wiring. Concentrated on updating lighting to LED, replacing ceiling vents to MaxxAir Deluxe Fans, new PEX plumbing, new fresh water tank/pump and axles/brakes (the torsions have that 25 yr. lifespan), new flooring and cabinetry. 1979 was looking a bit tired, and removing the old interior meant getting rid of the old dirt.

Yes, traveling with pets is possible. It's often a big reason people take up RV travel. On our last trip (5 weeks), we traveled with 5 dogs and 4 rabbits. Many state parks, national forest campgrounds, and the USACE campgrounds allow pets. Leash and pick up messes required, keep barking to a minimum. Private RV parks can vary. Some don't care what you have or how many as long as you're a good guest. Others might allow 1 or 2 small dogs, some have a no-pets policy. Good RV camping guides will usually mention pet policies, but it never hurts to call and verify. Good behavior is certainly helped by keeping pets exercised while traveling. Our dogs are still adjusting to vehicle travel, so toys and chewies to pass the time are kept in their crates.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:16 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Blountville , Tennessee
Thanks, Crispyboy. You make a lot of sense to me, and I am leaning toward the 4-people-is-too-much side. And I appreciate your bringing it up, but there is a very nice, large hybrid for sale in the area, and I don't think we want to go that way. Very hot, cold or rainy nights could turn out to be pretty miserable, I think.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:28 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Blountville , Tennessee
Appreciate the comments, Alluminati, but I want to say that I believe it is the Lexus LX that is essentially the same as the Toyota Land Cruiser. The GX is 7 inches shorter and 3 inches narrower than the LX/Land Cruiser, and has a 4.6L engine vs. 5.7L for the LX. The GX may well be OK for some towing applications, but shouldn't be comparred with a Land Cruiser. Perhaps this was Slowmovers error also. The LC has a very low center of gravity, and is very unlikely to roll-over, though of course, any vehicle will roll is some circumstances.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:34 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Blountville , Tennessee
Thanks for the good info, Starstream, both on your rig and on travelling with dogs. We have two full size Golden Doodles, both of which are registered Therapy Dogs, and very well behaved. Also, they travel well. Have already been on several 10 hr trips to visit our daughter and hubby, and the dogs lie quietly in the back of the LC without complaint. However, as you point out, exercise is critical, and would have to be a part of every day on an extended trip. We are already aware that restrictions have to be determined ahead of arrival. Again, thanks!
Old 09-23-2016, 11:24 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjavery View Post
Appreciate the comments, Alluminati, but I want to say that I believe it is the Lexus LX that is essentially the same as the Toyota Land Cruiser. The GX is 7 inches shorter and 3 inches narrower than the LX/Land Cruiser, and has a 4.6L engine vs. 5.7L for the LX. The GX may well be OK for some towing applications, but shouldn't be comparred with a Land Cruiser. Perhaps this was Slowmovers error also. The LC has a very low center of gravity, and is very unlikely to roll-over, though of course, any vehicle will roll is some circumstances.
I agree completely with you. Slowmover mentioned Thomson’s judgement against your LC. I brought up the topic of the GX and RX as an example of what I think is Thomson’s mis-judgement.

My first choice of a TV was either a Toyota LC or Lexus LX470, but I couldn’t find one condition/mileage/price that met my needs. So I got stuck with a lowly Sequoia But it turned out well because the trailer than found us exceeds the capacity of the truck I wanted, but works nicely with what we have.

As I said before, your LC should tow stupendously. I’ll just sit here pretending I’m not jealous.