Old 12-07-2016, 03:30 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Rjavery, you'll do fine towing any airstream you'd like less than the rated 6500 lbs. With the utmost stability even. You and I both know there is likely no more overbuilt 1/2 ton than a Land Cruiser. Including the 1/2 trucks.

That's been my experience towing a heavily loaded 23D in the windiest and steepest of grades (CA Hwy 1 near Big Sur). With my '06 LX470.

Brakes and stability are amazingly solid, as the LC has a wide stance.

Where it will be a bit more challenged, with heavier trailers is towing power up hills. It won't be a powerhouse, but you'll be able to keep up with traffic and ahead of big rigs just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Unibody is structurally stronger.
Body on frame means an extra 6-700 lbs in many instances. Not a strength increase.
slowmover, while I agree with you on some comments, in general, your opinions are not being productive. Conflating principles doesn't help your case either.

Stronger is not the same thing as stiffer!

Unibody is stiffer. But once you reach the yield point, it will crumble into a useless mess. Think soda can. It's quiet stiff and will hold up some good weight...until it doesn't.

Frame rails truly are far stronger in general. Not to mention more tolerate of abuse and fatigue wear. Which is why all real commercial tow vehicles use such architectures. Sure they might tremble and wiggle with lots of secondary motions, but that's good for longevity. Designers of passenger cars don't like the NVH associated with that.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:22 PM   #58
Sam and her wheelman Zeke

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Trailer weight doesn't really mean much. Tongue weight has a little more bearing.

Normally I'd say choose the trailer first. But I wouldn't own your particular vehicle to do the towing. There are better choices among SUVs.

I recommend you review the posts of Can An RV dealer Andrew Thomson. Read them all, in fact, and have a look for his online column entitled "Hitch Hints".

He is the expert. No one else in the field has his experience. Thus, as he enjoys helping others outside of dealership duties (and consults with Airstream both as a dealer and as a hitch expert), it's a quick education to learn what matters. And what matters less.

"Weight" is a matters-less item. And a Land Cruiser is just not a great tow vehicle. Why that is, you'll discover.

Read. And then consult Mr Thomson. A really great combined rig awaits you.
You are so right about tongue weight. Most people foolishly discount the limit.

My wife and I researched our brains out this past summer and found the strongest SUV was the VW Touareg. It beat the Jeep, Jeep diesel, the Mercedes M class, Discovery, range rover, etc etc. The Touareg comes in with a 772 pound tongue weight limit.

Popeye

2015 RAM Laramie Eco-Diesel 4x4 crew cab w/RAM box
upnorththree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:25 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
The LC is a great tow vehicle. Very stable, and a bulletproof transmission. We found the smaller gas tank, and lower mpg when pulling a trailer to be a issue. Not a big one, but when considering a trip to Alaska, big enough. If we were to camp with four adults, I'd advise the other couple to bring a nice tent. With cots and mattress pads, they can be very comfortable. We've only had a single guest a few times, and the dinette is "ok" for one.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:35 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Slowmover I do question some of these ideas of the unibody, I know of several local unibody cars which had larger horsepower engines installed in them and the third time of coming off the line real hard , the roof had wrinkles and the doors wouldn't shut, as the body was sprung..also a few had the extra stiffeners welded to the sub frame, the wrong welding technique was used and that resulted in a sprung body..I rember the 1962 ford pickup and their unibody design ,put a load on it , you couldn't open the doors. Unibody is good in my wife's car, I want a frame under my towing vehicle..my opinion
Old 12-27-2016, 01:02 PM   #61
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Model that sleeps 4 adults under 5500 lbs or so

There was no better full size to tow with in the 1960s70s than a unibody MOPAR. No ones launching with slicks.

And there was no penalty as to construction. Quite the opposite. Engine was lower and farther back. Vehicle had lower curb weight. Etc.

Get real weights of a proposed combination.

GVWR or GCVWR isn't realistic. Not if it puts one in a vehicle compromised versus a better choice capable of the job.

Some RV towing isn't going to break things.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote