Port Townsend , Washington
Whoa! That's a great link!

Old 09-22-2016, 08:17 AM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Model that sleeps 4 adults under 5500 lbs or so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjavery View Post
Thanks for responding, Slowmover, and I certainly will read what your expert has to say. I am an engineer, so understand that more data is better. However, I will challenge your generality that the LC "is not a good tow vehicle". I towed factory boats in the 3000# range for 25 years, and IMHO, there is no better vehicle for that than the LC (and, yes, I realize that is different than a TT). Besides, my wife will never agree to let go of the LC, which is her daily driver, and I'm not interested in buying a $20000-$50000 vehicle just for towing a TT around.

You can make your reading start with a recent thread on a rollover crAsh. Speed was likely a problem, but inherent TV instability is another. There are rigs around here that wouldn't have had the problem.

One may say, "Well. I'll never run that fast". But it's the effect of wind on the combined vehicle, and lower speeds but higher winds can have the same effect.

Emotion over a machine really ought to take a back seat to reason.

Find out what is best and why. It's an eye-opener to have, even see, a really great combined vehicle.

Trailers suitable for 4-5 people are likely to be 28' and larger. Again, study. If one limits use to near perfect shirt sleeve weather with no chance of precipitation, then being cooped up together isn't a problem.

My folks bought their Silver Streak when I was about out of high school (sold it when my son was in college 27-years later), and the five of us travelled in a luxury car pulling that 28-footer.

Not at all bad when one could spend as much time as possible outside. Rather the point, after all. So a longer trailer is not just about interior space, but also storage. Food, outdoor cooking gear, etc. Then fresh water capacity as well as for holding tanks.

Take your time. What's best, or ideal, isn't ones starting point, but to acknowledge the experience of others. IOW, where does my set of choices fall along a continuum?

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:24 AM   #17
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
There is nothing wrong with a Land Cruiser as a tow vehicle. Depending on what you want to tow, of course. It is as safe and reliable as any other tow vehicle when properly setup.

So that is why the OP is asking which trailer can fit his needs and be towed safely with a LC. And there are several options out there for him.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:30 AM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
There is nothing wrong with a Land Cruiser as a tow vehicle. Depending on what you want to tow, of course. It is as safe and reliable as any other tow vehicle when properly setup.

So that is why the OP is asking which trailer can fit his needs and be towed safely with a LC. And there are several options out there for him.

Yes, there is. There are significantly better choices. One needs to read and then understand the formulaic way Andrew Thomson makes judgments of this sort.

For that matter, go to the library and see if you can't find a book on travel trailer towing from circa 1970. One author, not from a publishing house otherwise dependent on ad revenue.

The conclusions are not much different. For the same reasons. Physics.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:32 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
The problem is some folks read an online article, accept it as word of almighty, and go around spreading it. Like "weight doesn't matter". Sure, I can also say "there is no gravity". Good luck convincing me otherwise.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:42 AM   #20
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Yes, there is. There are significantly better choices. One needs to read and then understand the formulaic way Andrew Thomson makes judgments of this sort.

For that matter, go to the library and see if you can't find a book on travel trailer towing from circa 1970. One author, not from a publishing house otherwise dependent on ad revenue.

The conclusions are not much different. For the same reasons. Physics.
I agree, there are better choices. But that doesn't mean the LC can't tow safely. Why would someone need to spend $20K-$70K on a new tow vehicle when they don't want to? Especially when they are ASKING which trailer they CAN tow with the vehicle they already own? Because there are better choices?

If that were so we would all be driving 30' Classics towed with F350s. Oh, and with 16" wheels and Michelin tires.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:32 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Blountville , Tennessee
Interesting idea, Twinke58. And that brings up a question that has been running thru my mind. Is there an agreed definition of what constitutes a Vintage AS? Pre-2000 or pre-1990, or Pre-one of the company ownership changes? I suspect this might start a lively discussion.
Although I am an engineer, I have been retired long enough that I don't really want to get into the reno and repair business...I do want things to work as they should in the TT I eventually buy. That said, I run a 1994 inboard boat, and only recently sold a 1999 Toyota LC to my son (and bought an '06 LC). OK, I'll sit back and listen to the collective wisdom for a bit.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:37 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Blountville , Tennessee
Well said, Slowmover; and I completely understand that a Cummins Diesel long WB duelly is far better for many TTs and situations. It is just that, although I am certainly going to spend a lot of time and study before buying, right now I don't contemplate throwing $75,000 into the pot to see if this is something my wife really want to spend several years doing. We shall see.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:39 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Blountville , Tennessee
I couldn't have said it better FCStreamer. Still feeling my way around this issue.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:46 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Blountville , Tennessee
I would add that I have logged around 2.5 million miles without an accident (and, yes, I realize it could happen tomorrow; that is part of the reason I've had no accidents). Around 250,000 of those miles were in an LC, and about that same number towing a 3000# trailer. I do recognize the issue with winds, and would NEVER be driving fast in high winds.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:10 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Blountville , Tennessee
I think this needs to be said, Slowmover: There are plenty of people that would think there would be far better choices in a TT than your 26 year old Silver Streak. I don't see anyone trying to talk you out of keeping that.
There should be lots of room for discussion of the issues without trying to shout down others. I already was aware that there were better choices as a tow vehicle than the one I already own: hence my question as to whether or not there is a smaller/lighter TT that might be suitable for 4 adults. That remains to be my question...although at this point, it seems unlikely.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:49 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Kansas City , Missouri
A vintage Airstream is 25 years and older. The 50's, 60's, and 70's are lighter. My 62 Tradewind is tall and narrow. She's a 24 ft. 3200 lbs on the dry loaded 4000 lbs. now the tires are rated at 65 mph but I got about 60. I have a 1500 Dodge pu to pull it with. The reason the blue boy I have. I would like and SUV but I didn't want the blue boy in the SUV.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1474624165.177289.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	272197

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Old 09-23-2016, 05:37 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Easy Answer

As others suggested, a 1960's or 1970's era trailer will meet the weight concerns you have. I'd personally go for that era of trailer (1960's, 70's model) in an "Overlander" model which comes in at 26-27 feet. The standard models come with either a double or two twins in the rear, then in the front you'll have a double bed, if its not comfortable enough for you, convert it to a twin setup in the front/rear to give you more each a single bed and a dinette up front.

Since there's a bunch of the models out there, it could be sitting in your driveway by Oct.

Enjoy,
Old 09-23-2016, 09:14 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Blountville , Tennessee
Thanks for the excellent info, Twinke 58. So the "Vintage" designation is the same as for cars...and the latest vintage model is '91, as of of now. Is yours a single or dual axle? Do you know how much tongue weight you are running. I'm guessing Blue Boy is a dog? We have two full size golden doodles, and will be making room in the rear of the LC.
That raises another issue. Is travelling with dogs a hassle? Do you run into a lot of restrictions? Again, thanks!