Old 03-20-2007, 08:22 PM   #1

1969 31' Sovereign
big springs , Nebraska
mitch66

We have recently bought a 1969 soverign 31 footer from a lady in Montana.

It was bright and shiny and had been used as a spare bedroom and guest quarters for about 5 years. The deck was completely surrounding the trailer and hindered the inspection of the running gear. We towed the trailer home to Nebraska during a snow storm and had some problems. The rock gard had been completly removed and the windows were exposed. As the large trucks passed us the pebbles and grit hit the windows and before we reached our destination all were completely gone. I have looked at the problem and have read some issues on the forum and I am looking at replacing them with dark lexan not replacing the rock gard at all. Is that a sacrelige?

Old 03-20-2007, 09:33 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. Glad you made it home with your new baby. Sorry that she sustained some damage. Nothing is sacrelige here. You what what you have to to go camping.

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Window lady

Hi,

I don't know very much about '69 windows, but if they were originally made from flat glass (previous years had curved glass) then maybe you could put Lexan into one and see if it works and seals against leaks pretty well. If so, then consider putting in Lexan in the rest. I can totally understand wanting to put in windows that don't break. Believe me. I really understand!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
Hi Mitch, glad you got your 1969 home. Did you brake out the front window? I am trying to get a replacement for one of our front window, the PO put in plexiglas. Looks like 1969 was the only year they put this style window in (see photo). From 1970 on they had 4 round corners. (That is the two windows setting on each of the front window. I ordered one from Cherokee RV salvage in Colorado in January just got it Saturday and it was the wrong window.

Last time we talked I was replacing all the seals on the windows and door. I have the door done and 4 windows left. We replaced the smaller up front vent cover next the the larger one in the middle.

Did you get an owners manual?

CJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Passenger window close up.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	34296  
1951 Flying Cloud SS#7062
AIR #18751
CJ of Okla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:12 PM   #5

1969 31' Sovereign
big springs , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
Hi,

I don't know very much about '69 windows, but if they were originally made from flat glass (previous years had curved glass) then maybe you could put Lexan into one and see if it works and seals against leaks pretty well. If so, then consider putting in Lexan in the rest. I can totally understand wanting to put in windows that don't break. Believe me. I really understand!
I have tremendously enjoyed your pictures. You are brave people. The large window is flat and the two smaller one are curved.

thanks Mitch
Old 03-21-2007, 03:15 PM   #6

1969 31' Sovereign
big springs , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ of Okla
Hi Mitch, glad you got your 1969 home. Did you brake out the front window? I am trying to get a replacement for one of our front window, the PO put in plexiglas. Looks like 1969 was the only year they put this style window in (see photo). From 1970 on they had 4 round corners. (That is the two windows setting on each of the front window. I ordered one from Cherokee RV salvage in Colorado in January just got it Saturday and it was the wrong window.

Last time we talked I was replacing all the seals on the windows and door. I have the door done and 4 windows left. We replaced the smaller up front vent cover next the the larger one in the middle.

Did you get an owners manual?

CJ
Yes I have an owners manual. Its a fairly crude photo copy. I will be happy to send it to you so you can copy it if you want..

Mitch66
Old 03-21-2007, 06:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
You might get away with replacing the flat window with double thickness regular glass. I had to do it on one of my 63 windows. I have dragged mine around for thousands of miles and never had it break. The original fibergalss awning served a rock guard while on the road. The 69's look better with one of those large black plastic see thru rock guards in my opinion.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
We had the same thing happen to our brand new Dakota when we went to Nebraska in December 2001. Across Kansas the 2-lane highway seemed like it had been treated with gravel instead of sand or salt for the snow, and every truck that went by just smashed tons of gravel into our windshield. There was nowhere to stop or pull off, so we had to just keep going. The windshield got thousands of tiny dinks in it, and when the sun is shining right on it it is very hard to see through. I was VERY upset!

I am so sorry about your windows! Much more traumatic than little dinks! And I would say to do them the way YOU want to. I would be worried about Lexan scratching over time, but it would be a LOT easier and cheaper to replace than glass.

Good luck!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Our 1969 Rock Guard

Our 1969 27' Overlander had what I considered a very ugly fiber glass looking rock guard that was flat....I can't believe it was original but at any rate it was ugly and dark inside when the guard was down....we replaced it with a newer style rock guard at C & G Trailer in Bellflower....it may not be original but it is sure better looking...we also have the two curved windows on the sides of the flat rectangle window in the front...on window likes like it may have been replaced with something other than Corning glass as one of the windows says Corning on it......pj
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1---Suite Spot 022.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	34336   Click image for larger version

Name:	1---Airstream in Lancaster, CA 001.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	34337  

WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:59 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch66
Yes I have an owners manual. Its a fairly crude photo copy. I will be happy to send it to you so you can copy it if you want..

Mitch66
Mitch here is the information Andy with Inlandrv sent me.

((((The 1969 wing windows are different from all others.

They have the outside lower corner as square. From 1970, they are round. One won't fit the other, without a lot of work.

wing window

Our part number for the right front wing window for that 69 trailer, is 33162, and the cost is $495.45, plus shipping.

Andy))))

I am going to invest in a rock guard. I will get back with you on the owners manual. There is a source here on Oklahoma City that bought out a Airstream dealer in California and apparently had lots of origional manuals.

1969 Sovereign
1951 Flying Cloud SS#7062
AIR #18751
CJ of Okla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:27 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Tecumseh , Nebraska
Mitch, I was wondering if you tried the Lexan? I just brought home my new baby...a '69 Globetrotter, and wouldn't you know, the driver side wing window is shattered. I don't think I will go for the $500 Corning replacement, but can't seem to find anything other than Lexan. I live in SE Nebraska, and will need a rock guard because ours was already ripped off. Good luck, and keep in touch, maybe we can learn from each other!