Old 10-12-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
2001 31' Excella
Salt Lake City , Utah
Unhappy mice and chipmunk problems

We are the third owners of a 2001, 31' Excella. Our efforts to find out where these little critters are getting is still eluding us. We are really hoping someone out there could give us some clues. Thank you in advance

wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:23 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member
1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
A couple spots that I found on my trailer were

1) Any of the external compartments
2) Check your belly pan for any holes
3) Frame rail?? I don't know how the new A/S's are designed but someone lead me on to this one. They come in through the opening's in the frame rail, then they pretty much have full access to everything.
4) Roof Vents

Granted my A/S is 30 years older than your's, i'm sure that some of the spots are the same, regardless of the year. Take a look at my blog for some "interesting findings" that I had.

Hope you get rid of the little buggers. If all else fails, get a cat (or dog) My dog/cats got rid of all the rodents in and around my trailer

Brian Schmock

'75 31ft Airstream Sovereign

Come check out my restoration progress:
CrzyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:23 AM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
I hate these little %$*&!!

Mice can get in through very small openings, as in smaller than the diameter of a Woman's pinky finger. In addition to what Brian states, I would focus on the areas around the:

LPG line penetrations
Rear bumper storage

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Yup, the barn cat worked for me. I sealed all I could, but they still got in and ate the poison I'd placed around the AS. Then the cat caught on. End of problem.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I won't use a trap...but some real sticky stuff is called Gorilla Tape you can get from Walmart. Construct about a eight by eight inch square of it ---lay it stickyside up in a warm dark area and put a dab of peanut butter in the center.. It's a interesting way to go for the critter (well I figure he wouldn't think so...!)
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
They know the seasons.

If it was very cold outside and your life
depended on would find a way
in too.

Steel wool every crack you can find, and
then look for more openings to fill!
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #7
2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
hole for TV umbilical wiring

up front, just behind the very first cross member of the frame, in the spare tire area, there is a hole for the DC wiring from the 7/9 pin connector to get into the AS coach. That hole, if not plugged well can be a super highway for critters. Steel wool, is okay, but perhaps aluminum wool (much coarser than steel) that won't rust and ultimately fluff away-I'd bet that hole is open.
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:23 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
Mouse Problem eliminated

Ok, I think I have finally figured out how to get rid of the mice. Trying to block every opening in a 28 foot Airstream seemed like a daunting task and you never get every opening. On a month long fishing trip at a campground in Idaho, I was discovering mice getting in my trailer on a nightly basis. Five nights in a row I was catching mice in a spring loaded trap and could hear the little buggers moving around the trailer. I finally decided to set up a trap outside and try to get rid of them before they entered the trailer. I found a 5 gallon bucket and drilled a hole large enough to put a 1 inch dowel through the middle of the bucket near the top (right through the center of the bucket). I then put a used up toilet paper tube in the middle of the dowel and coated the sides with peanut butter. I found a piece of pine and built a little ramp for them to go up to the top of the bucket. Filled the bucket 1/2 full of water, put the bucket under the trailer next the the wheels, and waited till morning. First morning I had 5 mice in the bottom, second morning 4, third morning 2, fourth morning none, and no more mice in trailer. I haven't seen another mouse in the outside trap for a couple of nights. One more note, I put a little peanut butter along the ramp to lure them up to the top of the bucket.

Good mouse hunting,

HankO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:57 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member
1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
Is there a picture of this ?????
Movie Stars and Film Crews come to Me from hundreds of miles enticed by My knowledge, My imagination,expertise, creativity and innovations!
scf31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master
2008 23' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
HankO, this sounds like an interesting solution. I, too, would like pictures. How do you secure the dowel to the center of the bucket and ensure the bucket doesn't leak? How does the dowel stay upright? I am also unsure how the toilet paper tube works. Does it hold tight around the dowel or is it glued in place. Any pics would be greatly appreciated.

At the end of our street, about 2 blocks away, are the university's agricultural program test plots. When they harvest, all the little critters run down to our house. We've had them come into our house through our fireplace. We solved that problem, but our garage has become a playground for them. It's not unusual to catch 30 in September alone. We've found the best traps are the old-style spring-loaded kind...the others often injure them badly, but they stay alive. It's sad for me to see. The new Victor plastic spring loaded ones aren't good. I caught 2 this summer with squished heads, but still alive. I'm a city girl, and I can't kill them, so I let them go in the back alley with their little cone-heads and terrible headaches.

So far, they haven't found their way into our AS, but that is surely only luck. The time is coming. I like the ramp and bucket idea. I need to catch them BEFORE they get into the AS or garage. I'm so sick of the smell of mouse urine in our garage.

Lisa and Paul

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod"
1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler" (

WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
TAC- SK 23223
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
The dowel goes across near the top of the bucket. It sounds like the toilet paper tube is meant to roll freely around the dowel. This allows the mice to "roll" into the water once they step on it. Kinda like a clumsy lumberjack. The dowel holes in the bucket don't need to be sealed as it's only filled half way.

"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
The bucket solution comes with variations. I remember seeing one about 30 years ago where a board/ramp was placed against the edge of a 5 gal. bucket that was half filled with water. I think the peanut butter was placed under the edge of the ramp. Once over the edge of the ramp it would tip forward they fell in the water and drowned. This was placed around the outdoor storage area of a restaurant. They also used shallow pans of Pepsi which was suppose to kill them because mice/rats aren't suppose to be able to burp. Guess it was as good as a malfunctioning spring trap.

But the best solution I've heard is to put Bounce sheets throughout the trailer. They don't like the smell and leave. Have to admit I'd stay away too. All dryer sheets smell sweetly sick to me.

tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona

See the tread from yesterday on the forums.

Said to use "FRESH-CAB" to keep them out.
Jimmini :
AKA : TUMBLEWEED. Just an old buzzard with a itch to yonder.
Man has only those rights he can defend
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:45 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member
1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
Mouse Trap

I put a dowel at the top of the bucket. This can be done two ways, one is drill a hole a little larger than the dowel on both sides of the bucket near the top and feed the dowel through it. The other is to notch out a "U shape" in the top of the bucket and set the dowel in it. The paper roll is set in the center of the dowel and spins free. I put peanut butter on both sides of the paper roll, and when the mice run onto it to feed on the peanut butter they spin into the bucket.

That's it,

HankO is offline   Reply With Quote