Old 05-18-2007, 02:31 PM   #1
1991 25' Excella
Dade City , Florida
Question Maiden voyage, hit a couple of icebergs

Hi Everyone!

My husband and I have RV'd for over 35 years so we've been around for awhile. Five years ago, we sold our property in the Northeast and headed out as full-timers with a Ford 450 and a 36' Travel Supreme 5th wheel. On the advice of good friends, we spent our first RV winter in Dade City, FL at a place called Travelers Rest Resort. This beautiful park was founded by Airstreamers and for years had been open only to Airstream trailer owners. Lucky for us that has changed and the "SOB's" (some other brands ) are now allowed in. Long story short, we enjoyed the people, activities and park so much, we both ended up working at TR and have kept a lot there ever since.

There are still a great many Airstreamers there and every once in a while, a used Airstream becomes available. We decided to try our luck with a 1991 25ft. Excella, thinking it would be a great little trailer for weekend trips, rallies and maybe even a caravan or two! My husband is a great handyman and mechanic so buying an older unit didn't scare us....much. Maybe it should have.....

This week, we took the Excella out for a little trip. So far, we'd fixed frozen gears in the TV antenna, replaced the microwave, replaced washers in the fridge door, replaced seals in the toilet, bought 4 new tires,repacked the wheel bearings, painted the frame, and replaced the front vent with fantastic fan. Not too bad for a 91'. The trailer towed fine, the 450 barely knew it was there.

We parked and were set up in just a couple of minutes, reminded us of our early days of camping, no slides and not a lot of fancy gagets, just fun. A little while later, we checked for hot water, but no luck. It seems the igniter unit on the hot water heater had melted, no fire, thank God, just melted plastic. OK, things happen. Back to a hot pan of water on the stove top. A few more minor problems over the next day, no big deal but I kept thinking about the possibility of fire with stuff that might not be visible and not working quite right.

This morning, we were packing up in cold rain to head home. Hubby came in from outside and pulled the door shut. Oh joy - the door handle broke off in his hand. Now, after a few days in our 25 footer, we'd both decided that Wally B. must have been a rather small man. Neither of us are particularly petite nor as agile as we once were. The idea of exiting through the rear window didn't appeal to either of us. Vise grips to the rescue but now we need a lever type interior door handle with a square drive. Don't need the whole lock, just the interior handle. Any ideas? Igniter unit is another matter but one more easily solved. Thanks in advance.

New WBCCI members #2245,

Ron & Anne

stillworkinonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:44 PM   #2
Always Airstreaming!
2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Welcome to the forums and the world of Airstreams. How exciting for you both! Little set backs here and there are always to be expected and of course the few problems you have had sound as if they are coming from neglect on the PO part and not so much on your Airstream. Anne, you already know what a great group of Airstream owners are and we all welcome you. Half the fun is working the little bugs out (or mice). I am sure someone here on the forum can help you locate a new handle!

Again welcome and keep us posted on your travels.

J. Rick Cipot
Sandi Gould
NEU New England Unit
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Hi Ron & Anne,

Welcome to the forum.

I'd start with Inland Rv for the door part and the water heater ignitor.

Inland Andy is a frequent poster here.

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I just passed Traveler's Rest on the way up to Wildwood, where I am now. Parts for the 91 should still be available from Airstream, or your local Airstream dealer (Bates). I got parts for the water heater for our 1972 from Bates, they had it on the shelf. They may even have your door handle in stock.
Also, the water heater parts are not Airstream specific, you may even be able to go to Camping World to get what you need.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:09 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member
1991 25' Excella
1974 27' Overlander
Plainfield , Wisconsin
Hi, I know this is an older thread, but perhaps you could help me out. I, too, have an '91 25ft excella and would like to add a microwave above the refrig. The cabinet is 13 1/2 x 20 /38 wide. The outlet is in place. What microwave model do you have? Any suggestions? Thanks Kirk
UserKirk is offline   Reply With Quote