Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Bambi
Los Gatos , California
Lurker turned owner

We're new owners, but I've been lurking for a few months. We have been camping for the last year and a half in a T@B. It got us back into camping but we found it just too small for our needs. I'm 6'3, so the T@B didn't allow me to stand inside. We had the clamshell version (kitchen on the outside) and that worked pretty well. Along our camping travels early on we came across a couple with a small Airstream in Santa Cruz. They offered a tour and my wife jumped on it. Well, needless to say she fell in love with it. We started doing a bit of research and found that the one we got the tour of and the one that my wife became fixated on was the 16' DWR Bambi.

I had tried to discourage her placing all her hopes in that one DWR basket since I knew that it was a limited production model and would command higher prices. Yeah, that worked well...

Well, fast forward a year and we came across one that was for sale in the San Francisco bay area. We went and saw it, fell in love all over again and the next weekend towed it home. We've camped two times so far since having it about two months (holiday months).

We are looking forward to many years of fun camping in it. We've already signed up for the NorCal Forum Rally up at Casini Ranch.

Can't wait.

Jeff & Silvia
Old 01-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Congratulations... Some pictures would be appropriate.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Lurker turned owner

Welcome to the Forum and to A/S ownerhood!

Lurkers really do make good owners, especially when you have both fallen in love with your A/S. Just beware of aluminitis: there is no known cure.

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Bambi
Los Gatos , California
I did just post a few images.

Jeff & Silvia
Old 01-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
Welcome and a big congratulations to you..what a find!!!! The 16ft DWR was what got me interested in Airstreams in the first place. We never found one, but got a 16 ft one anyway and we love it. My husband is also 6'3 and we fit nicely in the little cozy space!

Looking forward to seeing your photos This is a great group of people here...you'll enjoy all the information and friendships!

-Kim

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
I'm lost, what is a DWR Airstream trailer?
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
Milwaukie , Oregon
Derek, The DWR (Design Within Reach) Airstream was a special edition 16ft trailer that was only available for a short time....you can see pictures of it here Airstream DWR Design Within Reach Travel Trailer review - Roaming Times

-kim

The Small Small Trailer
Old 01-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HootMon-Frau View Post
We're new owners, but I've been lurking for a few months. We have been camping for the last year and a half in a T@B. It got us back into camping but we found it just too small for our needs. I'm 6'3, so the T@B didn't allow me to stand inside. We had the clamshell version (kitchen on the outside) and that worked pretty well. Along our camping travels early on we came across a couple with a small Airstream in Santa Cruz. They offered a tour and my wife jumped on it. Well, needless to say she fell in love with it. We started doing a bit of research and found that the one we got the tour of and the one that my wife became fixated on was the 16' DWR Bambi.

I had tried to discourage her placing all her hopes in that one DWR basket since I knew that it was a limited production model and would command higher prices. Yeah, that worked well...

Well, fast forward a year and we came across one that was for sale in the San Francisco bay area. We went and saw it, fell in love all over again and the next weekend towed it home. We've camped two times so far since having it about two months (holiday months).

We are looking forward to many years of fun camping in it. We've already signed up for the NorCal Forum Rally up at Casini Ranch.

Can't wait.

Jeff & Silvia
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Bambi
Los Gatos , California
It is one of the special edition models of 16' Bambi's that was designed by the firm DESIGN WITHIN REACH (DWR). There have been a few other special editions Bambi's (Quicksilver, Victronix, Anniversary models, etc). The DWR has a solar panel, some design items inside (George Nelson ball clock, some special dishware, chairs, coat rack, etc)

Jeff
HootMon-Frau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Congrats! We owned a T@B too - took it cross-country before we bought our Argosy. Liked the little teardop - so easy to use - but really wanted more space and a bathroom.

Here's to many happy years with the DWR!

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Bambi
Los Gatos , California
That's what did it for us, too. Took a trip to Yellowstone last summer and that was when the T@B's limitations stood out. We started looking at Airstreams right after we got back. We still love the T@B, don't get me wrong. In fact, if they had made a teardrop model of the basic same shape but wider, longer and taller, who knows?

But they don't, and if I made it myself (I had thoughts) my wife said we probably wouldn't go camping for years until it was finished. Wait, does that mean she lacks confidence that I could finish one project before moving on to another?!?
Old 01-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
We were in the same boat. T@B made several bigger models in Europe - I even toyed with importing one from England. If we could have bought that (the T@DA just didn't do it for us), we would have. Oh well.

Both T@B and Airstream have great groups of owners too.

Tom
Old 01-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome and Congratulations! We've gotten to know a number of couples that have camped for months at a time in their 16' Bambi's, including summer trip from Virginia to Alaska and back. Had small washing machine tub inside and two bikes in back of Toyota pickup. Don't make mistake of parking it just to provide housing for spiders and critters.. (Ask me how I know..).. They are really easy to take to warm weather, and actually do OK in cold with full propane tank, small electric heater and external electrical power..

We too look forward to seeing you at Casini, if the spiders don't mind giving it up for the weekend..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Bambi
Los Gatos , California
Yeah, we saw those European models and drooled for awhile then found out how much they would cost if imported and that put that problem to bed.

I think, the much worse drool factor was the European Airstreams. They have THE layout as far as I'm concerned. Bed (queen size) in back (across the back) with a dinette in the front. The fact that it was light was a huge bonus. But again, not available here.

Why, oh why, doesn't Airstream make a 19' or 20' version with that same floorplan, which is the same as the 16 Bambi. It would allow for an acceptable bed size which doesn't exist until you get into the much larger (and heavier) models.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Yep. Our T@B TQ had a king-sized bed - basically the whole thing was a rolling bed. We now wind up sleeping separate, one on the gaucho, one on the dinette.

You raise a great idea. A 20' Bambi with the 16' floor plan and dual panoramic windows, but instead with a seating area that made a queen (or king) across the back and a slightly longer galley, would have us getting out our checkbook.

Tom
Old 01-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #16
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
I got so excited when I saw your T@B next to your AS!!! I have a 2010 T@DA and a 28 ft AS. I love them both. I take the T@DA when it's just me and the AS when my husband and I go together. I know I'm going to have to give up the T@DA someday soon---maintaining 2 travel trailers is expensive but boy---do I love them both. What a great problem to have. Never thought I would be so lucky. Enjoy your new AS. Lots of adventure is headed your way. Congrats and best wishes.

kelly
kds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
Milwaukie , Oregon
Jeff your thoughts were ours exactly when we were looking...why can't they just stretch the 16ft floor plan out to a 19 or 20! Like Tom, we'd also have our checkbooks out tomorrow!!

The Small Small Trailer
Old 01-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1961 16' Bambi
1956 16' Bubble
Potrero , California
Welcome from more ex T@B owners

Jeff and Silvia,
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new rig, you're gonna have a great time in your rig.
Our first camper after tenting for years was a Silver aluminum T@B 16. Had a great time, still after many trips, Yellowstone too, the no shower issue became the driver for another rig.
Our first Airstream was a 19 Bambi and we now have our 25FB...
Who knows, if Thor had brought over the T@B XL from Europe maybe things would have been different. Still, I think AS has nailed it with their full product line including thier Euro like Sports, the 17 and 22, nice.
Again, welcome, we'll see ya'll out there!
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1961 Bambi, 16' California
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:07 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Bambi
Los Gatos , California
I just had to laugh. When we first got our Bambi home I didn't even try out the refrigerator since it was working when we tested it out at the previous owners. Well, before our first trip I filled both propane tanks and just like I had done with our T@B, turned on the refrigerator a day before we left so it would cool and ready to go. I had it on auto and had assumed it was running on the shore power it was plugged into.

It was cold the first trip but the fan kept us up at night so we shut it off and restarted it in the morning.

I replaced the noisy little fan with a quieter one (can't even hear it at all). Our next trip went fine AND we could sleep at night as well as have cold beer (important).

Got home and the check light came on. Well, that's odd. I tried for a few days to get the fridge to turn on but it just wouldn't. I figured I'd try to run it on propane but the check light kept coming on. As a last resort I took off the propane cover and what the... both tanks were empty!

So it had been running on propane the WHOLE time. Now I went the AirForum and searched around and one of the first things that was suggested to check on was whether a GFCI outlet might have been tripped. Ifelt around behind the fridge and found the outlet (not GFCI) but nothing was plugged into it. The plug must go somewhere else, right?

Nope, after a bit of fumbling around I found the culprit. The power cord for the fridge wasn't plugged in! Plugged it in and everything is fine. Works great. Can't figure out how it could have ever been disconnected. I have to assume that the previous owner had it disconnected for at least part, if not all, of the time he had it.

Wow.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:22 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Everyone needs a collection of campers, It is hard have everything you want in one trailer!

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote