Old 08-11-2017, 05:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Louisville , Colorado
Lost and Dreaming...

Hi,

First of all, I am so glad to have found this place. Since a week ago I've been consuming it during every spare moment. Thank you to all the knowledgeable and helpful people here!

Long ago I read something in a book and it changed my life. It was this: "Live your life in chapters. You don't need to do everything during this chapter of.... "

Well, I am in the thick of ending one chapter and beginning the next. At the age of 42, after homeschooling three amazing children, I find myself an empty nester. I am alone and free as a bird. SOOO, I am selling everything I own. Literally... as in... garage sale tomorrow! I gave notice at work. I am in search of an airstream and dreaming of hitting the road.

Regarding the AS: I see two potential paths in front of me: 1) the fixer upper... as in renovation from the ground up or 2) the vintage that is atleast campable... with a gradual renovation over time.

I had considered tiny homes for a while, but after lenghty conversations with one of my children realized that now is the time for travel. Hence, a switch in thought to an AS. However, I much prefer the "homey" feel to the "rv" feel.

In addition to this forum, I have also been browsing craigslist to start to get a feel for what is currently on the market and what people are asking.... of course, also understanding that many people are asking top (or above top) dollar.

Having said all that, I'm intrigued by this complete wreck of a 72 Argosy. (pictured below) listed on my local craigslist for $850. Am I crazy? Don't answer that... I already know the answer to that. I've done crazier things...
Haha! I enjoy getting to know you all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	72_Argosy_1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	291947   Click image for larger version

Name:	72_Argosy_2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	291948  

Old 08-11-2017, 05:24 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Louisville , Colorado
I'm also intrigued by this listing.... He isn't stating a price - just asking for offers. Would LOVE to hear what the experienced people in this forum believe this is worth... and more importantly, for the edification of newbies like myself. What do you notice when looking at these pics? What questions does it bring up for you?

Land yacht safari 23 foot airstream. All original. Was stored the last 10 years. New wheel bearings and winterized before storage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	q1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	291949   Click image for larger version

Name:	q2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	291950  

Name:	q3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	291951   Click image for larger version

Name:	q4.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	291952  

Name:	q5.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	291953   Click image for larger version

Name:	q6.jpg
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	291954  

Name:	q7.jpg
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	291955   Click image for larger version

Name:	q8.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	291956  

Old 08-11-2017, 05:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Welcome....we were all dreamers once upon a time.

It would seem that if what you want to do is travel, buying something you need to sink a lot of time and money into restoring will keep you grounded for a long time.

Think about getting something small, towable or driveable , and hitting the road.

Maggie
Old 08-11-2017, 05:40 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Louisville , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Think about getting something small, towable or driveable , and hitting the road.

Maggie
True that! There are a few family things that are going to keep me in Montana for 6 months to a year, but it WOULD be amazing to be able to hit the road as soon as I am able, even in dark brown *ugly* 70's style. (sorry to anyone that loves the 70's look - just not for me!) I imagine a major project may take 1.5 - 2 years...

Thanks Maggie
Old 08-11-2017, 05:43 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamininMT View Post
What do you notice when looking at these pics? What questions does it bring up for you?
The first thing I notice is that the listing "cherry-picks" photos that make it look good. The camera lies to you, because you only see what the photographer wants you to see. But I do have to admit, these photos show a trailer that needs a lot less work than the Argosy in Post #1! And that's a good thing. Something that doesn't need a lot of work to make it roadworthy and safe means you can devote a lot more time and effort and money to making it uniquely yours by customizing it.

But the fact that the photos only show what the seller wants you to see is why there is no substitute for your own Mark I eyeball, so you can look for things the seller doesn't want to show.

For example, if the trailer has been sitting in storage for 10 years, many moving parts probably suffered from neglect. For example, the listing says "new wheel bearings before storage." But new wheel bearings 10 years ago have 10-year-old grease in them today, and I wouldn't move the trailer very far without at least repacking the bearings. If you decide to take a closer look, try to move everything that's supposed to move before you decide to buy, so there will be fewer surprises later.

And anything made of rubber is probably age-hardened and/or dry-rotted. Dump valve seals, window and door gaskets, tires, etc.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote