Old 05-20-2006, 09:12 PM   #1
Libertyville , Illinois
Looking to rent

Hello All.
I am interested in a short term lease in far northeast Illinois. My intention is to park in the rear of my property while my house is being worked on for maybe a month or two this summer (or fall, when the contractor can get to it.) I have not been able to find any leads at all, as most rentals are short term and way too expensive. I do not intend to travel with the trailer and I'd like the shower option. We've never owned an Airstream but we've admired the ones we've seen. Purchasing an inexpensive used model has crossed my mind, but funds are tight. Any ideas?

PotterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:29 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
Airstream of Chicago

Airstream of Chicago (in Bolingbrook) says that they rent units. I have no idea what prices are like, etc. Tom

Tom and Frank
Evanston, Illinois
2004 Safari 28 ft Slideout "Lucy" 4 HI CAMP
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Potter, sometimes you have to think outside the silver tube.... Consider buying a unit and then reselling it. Larger AS's are going cheaper than small.

You may also find a Park Model trailer of the SOB type easier than an Airstream.

Remodels, be they home or trailer, always go on far longer than expected. Ask anyone who undertood the job lately how long they planned, when did they "think" it would be completed. Plan for three months longer than what it will take.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 07:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
What Glen said. I would buy a used Airstream and then resell once you're done. I'm doing the same as you except I'll be living in mine for the better part of a year while my house gets built. I picked up a very nice 1972 Tradewind (25') for a very good price and thought I'd be able to sell it for more than I bought it. The hitch here is that I love it so much, I really don't think I'll be selling it any time soon! I would seriously look at purchasing and older unit as you'll likely be able to get back what you payed for it (maybe more if you put somework into it while you're living in it).
Cameron & the Labradors
Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
AIR #11529
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Airstream are not usually used for rentals due to the price of purchase. I agree if you can afford to buy one do it then resell it. They hold their value and sell fairly quickly. Who knows, you may catch the bug and decide to keep it and start camping. Another suggestion would be to try Crystal Valley RV right in your back yard. They are a big SOB seller and may have a used unit that would fit your needs.
Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:58 PM   #6
Libertyville , Illinois
Thank you for your comments. It looks like I've got my work cut out for me but I will continue to check this site for helpful and up to date info.
PotterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
My guess is that you could purchase one for less than anybody would be willing to lease it to you for.

Then you turn around and sell it when you are done and recoup your money...thus almost using it for free.

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote