Old 09-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #1

temecula , California
Looking to buy an Airstream

Hi all,

I will shortly be purchasing my first Airstream and would love to hear from those who currently own a 16 foot Sport. I like the size with the exception of the bathroom and would love to hear from owners about how comfortable they are with the size.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
www.colonialairstream.com

Colonial Airstream's website says it all..... used inventory always has the tiny ones. People want more, especially when they are spending a lot of time in the units. I full time in a 25 FB SE Safari ... after moving up from a 22 CCD.

None of the baths are roomy, but when your knees hit the wall.... you'll learn to hate the toilet. You don't mention whether you've looked at floor plans or actually toured a lot of units. DO THE TOUR, I was set on a 19' until I went to the mothership and took a Friday tour (when you get a good chance to walk through units IN production. A teeny narrow door squeezed between the counter and the bed.. and a full bladder... make a deadly combination!

Get one that is big enough to live with for a pretty long haul! (Look at the 27 Serenity - my drool unit. OH and consider twins in either a 25 or larger - more room, and makes the bedroom more versatile.

I have a queen and have never found a good place for a laundry bag or basket.

Happy Trails, Paula

Old 09-05-2010, 07:50 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
We have the 17' Safari Sport. The 16' offers more bed space, the 17' has a full size bath. You also get more counter and closet space in the 17'. You can sleep 4 in the 16' while the 17' is limited to two.
You didn't say haw many adults and children you are trying to accommodate. For two people the 17' is great. If you need space for 4, I'd go with the Sport 22. It has the same size bath as the 17'.
The pro's for this trailer are:
Easy to tow; it only weighs about 3000 lb. Even a small SUV will tow this trailer.
Small footprint; fits in the smallest camp sites.
A/C is way oversized; cool on the hottest days. (you get the same size A/C in the 22' model so it's not as effective)
More storage space than we have ever used.
Comfortable interior, perfect for two people.
Full sized bath.
The con's:
No room for a third or forth person.
Not much room for company, we usually visit outside under the awning.
Heater is just big enough, takes a long time to heat up when it's freezing outside.
The bed is not comfortable. (we keep a memory foam pad rolled up in the shower and put it on the bed at night)
It's tiny, no bad habits allowed! (you have to keep things picked up and put away all the time, no lazy days)
So we get to the bottom line.....would I still buy a 17' Safari Sport again?
Yes, we love this trailer! It's so easy to get on the road that the trailer has made over eight trips this year and we haven't even had our vacation yet. There is more to a trailer than size and comfort. Ease of use also make a big differance to how much it will be used.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:29 AM   #4

temecula , California
Thanks so much for the replies. We only need room for 2 so it sounds like the 17 Sport would work. I have checked around, though, and been told that Airstream doesn't make that unit any more which is why we may look at a 20 or 22 foot.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tucson , Arizona
Debbie,

If Airstream does not make that unit (17 Sport)any longer you could always look for a used one. However, in the long run, I think you will be happier going with a 20 or 22 like you indicated. My wife and I currently use a 19 Ft. Komfort, but i am looking forward to the day when I can purchase my neighbor's 25 Excella. The 25 Excella would be more than enough room as we spend most of our time and meals outside of the coach when we are camping. As long as you have a capable tow vehicle to handle a 20 or 22 footer, I say go for it.

Tim
Old 09-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
This 27' twin sleeper is fine for us.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie92591 View Post
Thanks so much for the replies. We only need room for 2 so it sounds like the 17 Sport would work. I have checked around, though, and been told that Airstream doesn't make that unit any more which is why we may look at a 20 or 22 foot.
I believe you will like the 22', the bathroom is actually larger than some bigger units.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Picking the right model for you is a very personal decision. For us, the 19-foot Bambi was the perfect combination of having most of the features found in the larger models in a length that is within the limits of highways with towing restrictions. Being the same length as our pickup, if our truck will make it down a road, our Airstream will too. Also, it's light and small enough that our tow vehicle can easily tow it over just about any mountains we encounter, and we can fit in nearly all camp spots. About the only drawback we have encountered is that we have to slow down on dirt roads with deep ruts and deceiving light ripples (the ripples make the closet and cabinet doors fall off, but I am about to tackle that problem by replacing the short wood screws on everything with loctite, and nuts and bolts that go completely through the doors).

If you are more of an RV park person that prefers more interior room and sites with full hookups, this may not be the model for you. However, if you like the great outdoors and boondocking with an Airstream that occasionally docks at a KOA to take full-size showers, dump the tanks and stock up, the smaller models might just be what you are looking for.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
You Pose a Loaded Question

There are so many things to consider when figuring out what size to buy. I would advise you to read quite a few of the threads here. Some of the most glaring things to consider are: What your tow vehicle can tow. How many people you are going to have with you. (you said two). Here are a couple of other things that I haven't seen on this or any other thread...I almost hate to state it this way but you have to consider how physically nimble you are and how large you are. The other thing I can see by where you live, (not that far from me) I have encountered quite a few of the state and national forest/park campgrounds here in the west have size limitations that have only a few spots for longer rigs. They are, especially if nice very hard to reserve.

For example next week I have reservations in Yosemite Valley in the Upper Pines campground, in the last loop by a stream. It says that the trailer max length is 18', but I know my 19' Bambi will fit, albeit tight with our tow vehicle. At I think all the sights in that row, maybe a 20' but not a 25' would fit. So sometimes the extra space inside is nice but won't fit outside. What I guess this comes down to is what trade-offs are you going to make.

Just some other things to consider. As you can see we on the forums try to complicate things in the name of being thorough.

Randy Bowman
Old 09-06-2010, 01:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Hi all,

I will shortly be purchasing my first Airstream and would love to hear from those who currently own a 16 foot Sport. I like the size with the exception of the bathroom and would love to hear from owners about how comfortable they are with the size.
Hi, take your time and see what you like. [and what is within your budget] We spent over three years deciding what we wanted and why. There are many very happy owners of the smaller Airstreams, but there were some that bought them and traded up within a year or less. A few of them traded up again. This could be costly. Only you can decide what actual trailer you will buy and enjoy.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:56 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
I just checked and AS still offers the 17' Sport. Your dealer probably does not want to order one for you. I also found that there are no 17' new trailers at any dealer. There are a few used ones on the market.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #12

temecula , California
would really like to know if those who own a 16 foot Sport love their Sport or wish they had more room.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #13

1987 32' Excella
Byhalia , Mississippi
Wink Looking to sell Airstream 32 ' Excella

Quote:
Hi all,

Hello I am looking to sell an Airstream that is in good condition an 1987 Excella Has a house size refrigerator Full bed in rear this is my first experience w/ Airstream classifieds.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Clarksville , Tennessee
lots of good info here, but as someone who owns a 16' Sport, I can tell you that it is a great trailer for us. There's only two of us right now and we find that it has plenty of room. That being said, we're not the type of people to bring lots of "luxuries" with us when we camp. The 16' has plenty of room for all our clothes and groceries and there is a large exterior storage area where we store our camping chairs and other bulkier items. We do most of our cooking outside, but have found the inside stove and microwave to work fine in a pinch. We also travel with two medium sized dogs, and this hasn't made us feel cramped either. We wanted a small unit because it was easier to tow, would give us better gas mileage, and get us into the smaller campsites we enjoy visiting. We did a lot of research and decided that this was the right unit for us. It is of very good quality and will last us for years. Yes, the bathroom is small, and we still use the campground showers where they are available, but we don't camp to bring every convenience from home with us. To us, that is a joy of camping, keeping things simple and enjoying life without all the modern distractions. However, as previously said, this is a very personal decision and you have to decide what works for you. Some people are not comfortable in units smaller than 25 feet. This is not good or bad...just different. For us, the idea of 'less is more' works and we really enjoy our airstream. In the end, that's all that matters. Best of luck in your search and welcome to the forums. This is a great resource!

DC

PS, if you have specific questions or want pictures of a certain part of the 16' let me know by PM.