Old 12-27-2015, 08:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1988 29' Excella
Lake Stevens , Washington
Looking Hard

Hello all,

My wife and I have decided to get into the Airstream world. We're in a bit of a unique situation, but nothing too crazy - I'm in the Navy, currently stationed on a destroyer in Everett, WA. My wife is going to school for her PA, and we're mid-thirties with a 2 year old and a second on the way. We're looking for something vintage-y (i.e. something from about 1975-1995) and bigger. Our plan is to use it for our next cross-country move in August, where I'll have about 30 days to see the country, and then use it while we find a place to live on the far side. After that, my wife wants to re-do the interior to make it ours, so...we're looking for livable, but dated.

Whew, that's a lot. Anyway, the amount of knowledge and the sense of community here is overwhelming, and is a large part of the reason we've decided that it HAS to be an Airstream...

Eric, Danielle, Emma, and Little Pea

Texas Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Welcome, sounds like a good plan. Lots of Forum Airstreamers in your area. You could go to a rally and see lots of examples.

Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:50 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
boca raton , Florida
Welcome to the forum. My wife and I are 36 and 37 and just bought our first AS, a 68 overlander international. We looked for about 6 months and decided on a 60s era. It fit our budget and will give my wife a blank canvas to decorate once im finished with the demo and repairs.
bababouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Welcome Aboard, Eric, Danielle and family!

We are here in Hill Country... Don't know if you guys are going to be back in Texas or closer to the Atlantic... but, whatever it is, You will have an adventure..and stories to tell....

WE are here to help ....

Have you discovered the 'classifieds'? have you checked the Craigslist in your area for AS to fit your goal? Have you looked at any? Have you been to an AS dealer?

What TV (tow vehicle) will you have?...does it have enough space for the extra 'cargo' soon to arrive? =)

These are only the first of hundreds or more questions you may have..

A suggestion... for questions, use the 'search' function above.. but choose the 'Google' one on the popup... After a few uses, you will see why... so, search a bit... then ask ... This will be a good technique to build 'general knowledge'.. and help you ask the best question you can...
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:06 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member
1988 29' Excella
Thank you! I'm originally from the San Antonio area, and spent many nights in Pedernales and Lost Maples - I can't wait to get back! Quick answers - we haven't looked at any specific Airstreams locally yet, and we haven't been to a dealer. Mostly Craigslist and the classifieds here, which is how I found the site. My TV is currently an F150 Raptor, which I'll shortly be trading in on a new Super Duty of some type...
Old 12-28-2015, 04:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Welcome, and sounds good. My first piece of advice is to be careful on Craigslist when buying anything, but especially any type of vehicle - Airstreams including. There are a lot of scammers and hustlers lurking about. NO money up front to an individual is what I go by and I've done a fair amount of business on Craigslist as has my adult son (he actually has a side business he runs on there).

Look at the AS for sale on the forums.

Good luck, enjoy and THANK YOU for your service.

God Bless

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master
2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Welcome Texas Navy

San Antonio....aka The Shops at La Cantera .....I have spent several nights at the Admiralty RV Park, both in my Airstreams and a moho.

As to purchase of a trailer...check with folks on the forum before purchasing anything. Many will even inspect the unit for you. As to fixing one up to your specs, look at the images of some from the recent WBCCI International, found within all these photos:

And, a couple "restored" units:
Farmington REV 06.27.15 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

Farmington 06.27.15-8 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

Welcome, future member, to the Airstream family...great group!
Happy trails and Good Luck
Ms Tommie Fantine Lauer, Greensboro, NC
AIR #31871 WBCCI #4165 K4MTL
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:56 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member
1988 29' Excella
Thank you everyone for the welcome. It's been a great honor to serve and to get to see as much of the country and the world as I have on the taxpayer's dime, so really the pleasure is mine. There sure are some beautiful trailers on this site, and some really talented folks who have been able to make a concept into reality. I hope to be counted among them someday soon.

As to where we're headed next, I'm not sure. There's not a lot of Navy left in Texas (at least my flavor of Navy), so it's unlikely I'll be home yet, but I'll probably head to Virginia or something. Somewhere along the Chesapeake, within an hour or two of Shenandoah...but hopefully not DC again.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:53 PM   #9
2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
I was looking at one of the Facebook pages for Airstream groups, and saw a note about an Airstream restorer who has recently passed and the collection is being liquidated. Craigslist had it, near Foley AL.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

AIR 71620
WBCCI 5809 Reg 5 Unit 041
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote