Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2008, 06:38 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Salt Spring Island , BC
Wink Looking for new or minty used Airstreams in Canada

Hi,

My name is Deb Leblanc and I live on Salt Spring Island in BC, Canada. I've been a secret admirer of the Airstream for years - I just think they are exquisite
! I also, although some would think me a bit unusual, truly adore the inside 'dollhouse' feel of them. So much so that I have decided that I would like to live in an Airstream for a while. I quite enjoy living in small spaces but am not a city - living in a box i.e. condo, kinda girl.

So now that I've made the official decision that I'm IN LOVE with the Airstream, I need to find one to purchase. I would love to find one that has a SoHo loft kinda feel

So I'm trying to locate a dealer in Victoria or Vancouver, BC that sell new or used - minty condition Airstreams.

I run Fitness Vacation Camps on Salt Spring and don't need much space to live in - I basically enjoy and live mostly in the great outdoors.

I'm wondering if anyone out there knows of dealers in Victoria or Vancouver, BC that carry the lovely Airstreams.

Here's my site if you feel like checking it out www.debfit.com

Thanks! Deb
debfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:16 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
Debfit,
It's great to have you with us. Are you looking for an Airstream for year round living? It gets mighty cold in Canada during the winter... The new Bambi's and Flying Clouds have a real modern feel or you could always buy an older model and fix it to your own liking but it may require a lot of work. Be sure to check out the classifieds section and there are several new dealer trailers on Ebay. Good luck with your search.

63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Welcome Debfit. Just be aware that Airstreams are addictive. I would search for an older model and customize to what you are looking for. It is a great experience.
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Deb,

Here is a Canadian dealer...

Can-Am RV > Home

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Deb, You need to go to Airstream.com and check the dealer locator for your area. The dealer Airhog1 listed above would be great if it wasn't 2000 miles from where you are. I bet if not a Canadien dealer is near you that you will find some good ones in the Washington state area. Good luck and keep us posted. Welcome to the group! Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Centralia , Washington
Deb,

Don't worry about it being too cold for year round living in an Airstream on Salt Spring Island. Last winter I lived full time in my Airstream just south of Seattle. It was plenty warm and comfortable and I experienced no problems due to weather. Your climate on the island is I believe quite similar.
www.cameron-bailey.com
73Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quite correct Cameron. Salt Spring has one of the mildest climates in the country. Deb, as I mentioned in my PM to you, the local dealer isn't worth your time. Last I was there they only had two units on their lot and that was at the height of RV season. I've never been impressed with the service in their facility and when I was asking about getting parts from them, the knowledge of Airstream products on the part of their counter staff was pretty horrid. I would seriously consider George Sutton in Oregon or Airstream of Spokane. I've heard very good things about both.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:21 PM   #8
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Deb, click on the "Classified" tab at the top of the page. About the sixth listing down is a 2006 31 foot trailer which is located in Nelson, B. C. It is already outfitted with most everything one would need to use it in a colder climate and it is nearby. Check it out.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
I would seriously consider George Sutton in Oregon or Airstream of Spokane. I've heard very good things about both.
Yup, we used to have a great AS dealer in Tacoma & Boise; no more.
Salt Spring is nice, we came close to moving there years ago, I'm a Canuck.
Get a couple of liquid-filled radiators, they're quiet and efficient.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Get a couple of liquid-filled radiators, they're quiet and efficient.
That's what I'll be using this winter in mine. I don't trust my old furnace as I'm not sure it was repaired during the recall.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
I don't trust my old furnace as I'm not sure it was repaired during the recall.
Don't feel bad, we're getting ready to replace the second motor on a fresh Suburban.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:29 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Centralia , Washington
Everyone is different of course, but for me the liquid filled radiator heaters were not the best choice. When I had an SOB MoHo they fit in quite well, but while offering much better living, the Airstream has less usable space, and I just couldn't seem to find a good out of the way place for the larger radiator heater.

I ended up with a very small ceramic type heater with a fan. This is very quiet and very small, plus I think that it does a good job helping control humidity. I do believe though that operating costs are higher with such a unit.

I did use this heater only as secondary heating, relying upon the furnace when I was actually in the Airstream.
www.cameron-bailey.com
73Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Overlander View Post
Everyone is different of course, but for me the liquid filled radiator heaters were not the best choice.
I ended up with a very small ceramic type heater with a fan..
Nahh, they're not that big, we do use the ceramics to blow air in the stern
to avoid mildew when we're up here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1342.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	68282  
Old 09-27-2008, 03:35 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Woodland Hills , California
Hey Deb, Sounds like you would be looking for a fairly clean used AS. With the prices of the new ones and our economy I would buy used. I found a fairly clean '65 Globetotter on The Vintage Airstream Club. Mine was located in Seattle, Washington. I have noticed that there seams to be quite a few trailers in Washington and Oregon. I trick is to buy one in fairly good condition for a reasonable price. I picked up mine four years ago for $4000. Good luck in your search. Kenny
kennyp315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:20 PM   #15
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Welcome to AirForum, Deb!

I wish you the best with the project you have decided to take on. If your plan really means that you will live in the trailer all year round, then I think that despite the relatively warm (for Canada) climate of Salt Spring, you are after all in Canada, so I would suggest reading some of the winter stories you can find here. I don't think the Airstream was really designed for wintering in the winters we can have here, but then, I don't normally live in the outdoors, as you mentioned you do.

Best of luck!
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Salt Spring Island , BC
ohmygosh everyone is so nicely & helpful - THANK U!!!! from debfit

I am blown away by all the replies from everyone and all the great advice. I'll be kept busy for sure doing my (thanks to all-of-U) more narrowed down search for my Airstream.

It's really not that cold here in the Winters on Salt Spring. Quite lovely actually but soggy ... yes. Not that I mind. I'd much rather go for a run in the rain than icy cold temperatures any day.

I'm going to go thru all the responses right now to my post and see what I can find. I really don't mind spending the extra $ for new. It's more important to me to find the one that suits my personality best. And an Airstream that I don't have to restore. I wouldn't even know where to start to restore one, yet. Maybe one day, once I've had my (first) Airstream for a while and then I can think about getting one to restore.

OK - off now to do research. THANKS AGAIN! Y'all are so nice!!
Old 09-27-2008, 07:42 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Salt Spring Island , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GStephens View Post
Deb, click on the "Classified" tab at the top of the page. About the sixth listing down is a 2006 31 foot trailer which is located in Nelson, B. C. It is already outfitted with most everything one would need to use it in a colder climate and it is nearby. Check it out.
GStephens
Hi! - Thanks for telling me about this but I can't find it?? I checked in 'Classifieds' and did a search for 2006. Hummm I just don't see it.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:49 PM   #18
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by debfit View Post
Hi! - Thanks for telling me about this but I can't find it?? I checked in 'Classifieds' and did a search for 2006. Hummm I just don't see it.
I think this is the one he was talking about.
Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Classifieds - 2006 31' Classic 75th Warranty, Hensley, Solar, new Tires - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Wow Deb
Here's your life altering Airstream!
$79,500
Nice looking trailer with a nice truck AND the best hitch available...a HAHA!
Good luck
Dennis
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:23 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Deb... Welcome to the forums... Yes, it is a nice bunch of folks, isn't it? And they only get better. You'll find that out as you hang around and get to know them...

By the way...that 31' AS looks great...it could be just the one! Kinda like falling off a log.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote