Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2015, 08:01 AM   #1

1977 Argosy 28
Peachtree City , Georgia
Looking for an Argosy trailer

After tirelessly searching this forum I finally decided to join. It took me a few months, but I've finally narrowed down my search to a 197#'s Argosy trailer(ideally 28" Center bath). So now starts the arduous task of scouring the earth for a suitable trailer, but in the interim I'm happy to be able to pick up little tidbits of info on Airstream life from this forum.

One bright spot is that I was just able to update my potential tow vehicle from a Toyota 4Runner with a 5000# tow limit to a Toyota Tundra with a 10k# limit.

Looking forward to getting to know you all, and hopefully someday getting a chance to meet on the road.
jstephensii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:29 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Having a '76 28' center-bath, I recommend looking for a 77+ where the bathroom is on the same side as the galley, cutting out about 18' of run in the plumbing system. I'm going to cut out at least 12' of that by running the pex through the heat duct that runs under the floor to the bathroom.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:00 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Fair Oaks , California
1977 Argosy 28 CB travel trailer by Airstream

Your next project...
Argosy Heir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:00 PM   #4

1977 Argosy 28
Peachtree City , Georgia
@DKB_SATX thanks! I was checking out at '75 locally in GA, but there were a few title issues. That's good info though because I wasn't aware of the changes in the various '70's models.

@Argosy Heir thanks! I contacted that owner a few weeks ago, but that was before I had the new tow vehicle. And before I realized that there were members of this forum that could help with local inspections. This might be perfect now given what DKB_SATX mentioned.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Welcome and all that good stuff

I'm curious about how you came to want an Argosy over an Airstream.

My Argosy " happened " to me by the way of my daughter seeing it in a used car lot and wanted me to buy it. I was actually looking for Scamps, and Canned Hams.

I really like my Argosy. It is a 20 footer and only weighs 2800 lbs, but it was expensive to fix up.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:33 AM   #6

1977 Argosy 28
Peachtree City , Georgia
Initially, I wanted a late 60's - 70's center bath Airstream. I actually wasn't aware of the Argosy models at that point. I stumbled on a craigslist ad, and then wound up doing a bunch of research on what was different between the two. I like the idea that the Argosy's were used to test out new features which might later be used in Airstreams, and one of the main ones that sold me was the wrap-around windows...and on the CB trailers you have them both front and rear. Window sizes\numbers was the one of the main reasons I decided not to look at any models older than late 60's.

FWIW I've since learned that it's possible to add wrap-around windows to other models, but one piece of wisdom I keep hearing echoed in this forum is that you'll spend a lot less money if you find the exact trailer that comes closest to meeting your needs rather than attempting to do a bunch of modifications.

mandolindave, do you think there was anything specific about the fact that you owned an Argosy and not an Airstream that made it more expensive to fix up?
Old 06-28-2015, 09:30 PM   #7

1977 Argosy 28
Peachtree City , Georgia
Thanks All!!! I'm officially the new owner of the 1977 Argosy 28' that Argosy Heir mentions above. After a fairly circuitous road trip back to Georgia, I'm ready to begin the almost assuredly exciting and expensive process of renovating it.