Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Looking for an Airstream

This all may sound crazy but I have never been in an Airstream but am planning full timing beginning in May 2013 and find the perfect trailer with my Airstream research want a 28'. I want something easy to tow and not be turned away from campground for size. It will be my husband, puppy and Kat so need the size. Plan on solar panels also. Know you guys have a checklist on buying which is wonderful. I am in the suburbs of New Orleans. Hope to find the perfect trailer and tow vehicle very soon. Hubby is not the mechanical one. Any suggestions? Have read this site for months..first time posting Help! Am I nuts?
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Kind of like meeting a bride on the internet and off to marry and spend forever with her. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

There's a learning curve to traveling and camping full time with an Airstream and we don't know your experience. If none, it is best accomplished with a very light load of stuff. So if you have some purchasing power to get started, income to meet regular and unexpected expenses, no need for "stuff" or space, don't mind RV park lifestyle, and are adaptable and often clever, it can work.

No shortage of advice or help on this forum and most of it is pretty good. You will be welcomed aboard!

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Love the great outdoors. The fulltimer blogs have sold me. I know there will be a great learning curve but this site has sold me on the Airstream Family. Was a tent camper and hiker for yrs ... ready for a little home on wheels. Hubby is a retired CPA/cancer survivor so we have crunched it. A good used unit and tow will work. Thanks for the quick response. More to come in our new advenure.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Good luck! It's a grand adventure. Read as much as you can here on the forums, and if you can, go to a rally or two and tour and physically visit as many as you can!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
We are new also. Did the research and found what we wanted. So far this year we have traveled most of 8 grand miles in our Vintage 75 since July. Just got back from OKC and a 4 day trip. Love our home away from home! Met the most wonderful couple from Ohio. We were hooking up to leave Sunday morning and they walked over after driving in. Another one of those "admiring" our Airstream out of a sea of white boxes. Have come to love that feeling!!!
As stated previously, read as much as you can here. You will find a wealth of information for free that no salesman could ever do without personal experience. Good luck and happy hunting!
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Thanks so much. Just makes me more excited. Later for now.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
I have been to a rally or two and have always thought the 25' FB was the best use of space in the airstream model line. Get a long bed and put a shell on it. Store all your junk in there. Airstreams are not known for great storage compared to a 5th wheel or a motorhome. Patrick the Traveling Irish Wolfhound used to have a comparison of a 34' stream vs. a motorhome from folks who spent a couple of years on the road but a trip there a few seconds ago and I could not find the comparison. Maybe a few more minutes on google would work.

Jimini on the forums seems to do ok in a squarestream and he camps in his as much as anyone, I think his is 25' but do not recall for sure. Check out the rally callendar here on the forums. They are all over the country and every rally I have been to has an open house. Maybe show up introduce yourself and take a look at what people have done you might get some ideas about what will work for you (or not as the case may be).

Good luck,

E
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
The SilverSleeper

2001 28' Excella
2005 25' Classic
1988 23' Excella
Daphne , Alabama
Airstream 28

You can't beat a 28 for storage and space. I have a 1999 and have more storage than my friends 30 and 31. I have the twin beds which gives you a lot more inside storage and it has a lot of outside storage , a large storage in the rear and a large storage on the curb side and a storage on the street side.Would highly recommend a 28 for full timing or for long trips of 2 to 4 months.an Airstream 28 is actually 29 ft long.
Beaubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
badkat - I know the feeling - we researched Airstreams for nearly a year before jumping in with both feet into a 27FB, with no prior RV experience, just tent camping. But we knew we were ready for it, and have been having a great time. We're not full-timing, so that would be an adjustment.

It definitely helps to be handy with a wrench and screwdriver, as there are often little things to fix. But know your limits, there are a lot of things you can do yourself, and a few you can always get help with. And, you've discovered, this forum and its members contain a wealth of expertise, advice, and opinion!

Enjoy the journey -
Steve
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
There will be a lot of adjustments to your life style the first six months. Plan on following the sun, as Airstreams do not really like cold weather and being cooped up inside for three days of rain can be trying. Keep you house for the first year, in case you change your mind. Plan on visiting old friends and family as well as seeing all the national parks. You might find living in some destination parks in Florida, Texas or Arizona for the winter are what you like, many people do.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Love all the input. Fortunately I have a great friend with a farm in Tennessee if we get weary. Plan on taking it slow and learning a lot. Not afraid to fix stuff and tow. Would the classifieds be the best place to find a trailer? Thanks BadKat
Old 09-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
badkat,
Welcome. We did our research here, too. For interesting listings there are the Classifieds here and another good site is RVTrader.com, where you can narrow your search by manufacturer, etc.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
This is the right time to be looking, especially for a gently used Airstream.

If you're not fond of fixing up, a 2 year old model that turned out to be imperfect for someone else could be your best ticket.

Check the classifieds, and Craigslist and RVtraderonline.com. They are everywhere. If you are near an Airstream only campground, they may have several units for sale.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Paula
Old 09-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Tow vehicles

What should I be looking for in a tow vehicle for pulling a 28' successfully?We want to go everywhere. Thanks BadKat
Old 09-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #15

Omaha , Nebraska
Looking for an Airstream

Badkat,

I often read the Forum and noticed you are looking for an Airsteam. I am not sure of protocol on responding but I have a 2007, 25 ft. FB that I wish to sell. I have not advertised it anywhere but have been thinking about selling for some time. If you are interested, call me. 402-341-9425.

jae
jaelou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #16
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelou2 View Post
I often read the Forum and noticed you are looking for an Airsteam. I am not sure of protocol on responding
Protocol is that all selling happens on the Classifieds section.

What people do in email is their own business though...
Old 09-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #17
The SilverSleeper

2001 28' Excella
2005 25' Classic
1988 23' Excella
Daphne , Alabama
Tow Vehicle

Every body has their favorite, I pull my 28 with a Dodge 2500 it has a cummins engine and will tow anything out there and it gets pretty good gas milage.It is a Mega Cab and the rear seats fold down flat and has an enormous amount of storage. i also have a camper shell on the bed to keep all of my stuff in.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #18
The SilverSleeper

2001 28' Excella
2005 25' Classic
1988 23' Excella
Daphne , Alabama
Airstream 28

There is a 2001 Airstream 28 in the classified section for sale in Michigan. You might want to take a look
Old 10-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
I have found my 28' AS. Will be getting it in the spring. Saw an AS today on an overpass and was in awe. Know it is the right decision. Just knew when we toured it this was perfect. Will be replacing the carpet with the cork floating floor, how hard to install solar shades instead of curtains? Curved windows? thanks BadKat
Old 10-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat View Post
I have found my 28' AS. Will be getting it in the spring. Saw an AS today on an overpass and was in awe. Know it is the right decision. Just knew when we toured it this was perfect. Will be replacing the carpet with the cork floating floor, how hard to install solar shades instead of curtains? Curved windows? thanks BadKat
Flooring is easy, but time consuming as depending on what you do you might be removing a lot of the interior fixtures. Window blinds can be interesting as the curves and slopes of the interior require extra attention.

I'm not sure what you mean about 'curved windows', but if it doesn't come with the panoramic windows, installing them would be some kind of nightmare. The shell of the Airstream it integral to the structure, and I'd be surprised if the Airstream factory would even want to try it... it would just be too much work for what you would end up with.

You can do a certain amount of screwing around in an older Airstream with floor-plans if you gut them... but pick your trailer carefully as it really isn't something you can change like a home-reno.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote