Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
The floors are doable. The trailer is not here for me to look but shades or curtains will be freshened. If shades do not work..ok new curtains. It wil be fun. Mostly cosmetic at this point but none less important.
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
plain city , Ohio
badkat,
We are new to the airstream and we got a beautiful 1970 31' sovereign. We lucked out and it is in great shape and up dated from the previous owners who went to every state including Alaska. All the updated repairs are logged since 1970. They found us at a auction where we were bidding on a 28 footer that needed major repairs and when we walked away they approached us to sell their (our) Airstream. They were 75 years old and had done it all. You will find yours keep looking! Don't settle for one that needs repair.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk5274 View Post
badkat,
We are new to the airstream and we got a beautiful 1970 31' sovereign. We lucked out and it is in great shape and up dated from the previous owners who went to every state including Alaska. All the updated repairs are logged since 1970. They found us at a auction where we were bidding on a 28 footer that needed major repairs and when we walked away they approached us to sell their (our) Airstream. They were 75 years old and had done it all. You will find yours keep looking! Don't settle for one that needs repair.
We have found a 28' AS and seems to only need cosmetic to make our own. Hope to meet on the road sometime.

Kat
Old 10-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat View Post
What should I be looking for in a tow vehicle for pulling a 28' successfully?We want to go everywhere. Thanks BadKat
On this you will get a different oppinion from everyone who answers.

Almost any vehicle can pull the trailer, but you want to do it safely. The question to ask yourself is how much weight will you put on/in your tow vehicle. Make sure the TV you choose will support the loads you put on it.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plaquemine , Louisiana
Welcome badkat,
I recommend any 3/4 ton truck, with the turbo diesel. Especially if you intend on traveling in mountainous areas. Turbo charged engines, whether gas or diesel do a good job of compensating for the loss of power in high elevations. My personal preference is, I prefer my tow vehicle out weigh my trailer. My 28 Classic weighs in at 6700 lbs net, and my truck barely wins at 6800 lbs. If I were to go with a lighter trailer, I would take a serious look at the F-150 with ecoboost (twin turbos!)
cmkirkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There is absolutely no advantage to a tow vehicle outweighing the trailer.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Badkat, it would be good to have a used trailer inspected for condition by a competent Airstream serviceman, before purchase. You most probably will have to give some attention to mechanicals such as brakes and tires, properly working systems such as plumbing, electrical and waste, and any leakage and corrosion treatment needed. Then it is fit to travel and decorate to suit.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plaquemine , Louisiana
Let me rephrase. If you choose to tow without level and sway control, tow vehicle weight/mass matters.
cmkirkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Badkat, it would be good to have a used trailer inspected for condition by a competent Airstream serviceman, before purchase. You most probably will have to give some attention to mechanicals such as brakes and tires, properly working systems such as plumbing, electrical and waste, and any leakage and corrosion treatment needed. Then it is fit to travel and decorate to suit.

doug k
We have decided on an AS in Alabama. We will get everything checked before all the cosmetic stuff but truly like the PO. He is helping us in so many ways. He stills has an AS and has had many. Just a great guy.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
BadKat and that 28' Airstream

It has been a while but just wanted to update you guys..love the forum. I have bought a 1999 28' Excella with twin beds. Moved in it fulltime Feb 1. We went from not knowing where the power cord was to figuring out so much more. We have a Hensley Hitch and are surviving that ordeal. The previous owner was so wonderful..showed us everything and even had us drive and park in an SKP. We are in N.O. actually Northshore in Fairview. We will camp at Chicot for a couple of days to go to Fred's Lounge Saturday morning for once a week cajun music. Then off we go heading north. We have a website www.lifeonthebluehighways.com. Already had a rodent experience. Country grocer checker said put peppermint oil on a cotton ball and they leave. Done! They are gone. Who knew...thanks and I am loving my trailer. No more a tent camper.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Brakes and Bearings

We did get the brakes and bearings done before our journey.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:09 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Two years later and still full-timing and the forums have saved us more than once. The AS 28' was the right choice and twin beds. Yes we had a HUGE learning curve. You freak then move on..maybe part of the fun. Hang in there with us. We need you forums.

Thanks guys, BadKat
Old 03-01-2015, 05:18 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
This was my first post and 2 years later still in our 28' AS full-time. Just a thank you to you guys..have saved us more than once from real catastrophies.

Hang in there..we need you.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:43 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Good to hear from you again, badkat.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote