Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2011, 01:09 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Cedar Park , Texas
Looking for a big and tall model

Hi everyone,

I have just started looking for an airstream trailer and I have a question I'm hoping y'all can help with. The problem I have been running into is not a deal breaker by any means but more of a comfort issue. I am trying to find the airstream trailer with the largest amount of headroom because my wife is over six feet and I'm almost six and half. We have only been married a couple of years and don't have any kids yet but we love adventure and travel. When I started researching I was pretty overwhelmed by all the models and had some difficulty finding specs. I realize some years and models may need more work and love to get them ready for travel but we have plenty of energy. Any help anyone can give will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Tim
Living Well is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:06 AM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
You can get almost everything you want here:

Airstream, Inc :: Travel Trailer Specifications

@ 6'4" I know your concern intimately. Look for a good bumper over the doorway
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Some of the beds are shorter than others. Look for a unit that has the bottom of the bed open so you can hang your feet over the end. All the units have about the same head room in the middle but the wide bodies, after 1995 have a flatter profile so you get more head room over a greater area. The amount of leg room to sit down on the john with the door shut is another problem for taller people. I would suggest you visit a dealer near you and try them on for size. If you can get to an Airstream Rally with an Open House, that is another opportunity to try them on.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
My 6'2" husband has no issues with our trailer. One trip with our 6'6" nephew(tall and big) this summer has him convinced he does not want an Airstream. The only place he can stand up straight is the center of the trailer. He loves to cook but that did not work well as the air conditioner is by our stove taking up his head space. He did not even try to get into the bathroom, took one look at it and used the campground facilities all weekend.

Good luck in your search. I would definitely check out the wide bodies.
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
When I am in our trailer, I make it a point to always wear a hat. I'm 5'17" and if I forget my hat, I usually wind up being reminded by the entry door, or a bulkhead.

The hat doesn't completely protect, but it's sure better than nothing...
Old 09-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Our is the "widebody" style and it's fine for me at 6'-1" - I can even stand up in the shower. As i look at other units, I find it's all about interior finish. At the Classic level we even have a "head cushion" over the door. Sweet.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think the newer wide body (8' 5 1/2") may have higher ceilings, but not high enough for you. The point about the ceiling height in the kitchen is a good one because that is the place where people stand the most. Our Safari has a padded part over the door and even at 5'10" I hit it sometimes when I'm distracted.

The point about the toilets is good to check out. Some bathrooms have very little leg room.

The bed are shorter than their counterparts for home use. You can replace the mattress with a longer one in some units. This only works in units with a space at the end of the bed as in most or all of the FB trailers. You would want to extend the plywood base with an added piece too. We put a bolster at the head of the bed to take up the room and moved the mattress down 4". This also allowed us to use standard queen sheets rather than having to buy more expensive RV size sheets.

You really have to go to a dealer and check out how it works for you. Specs on the Airstream site help, but actually being there is best. If you are looking for an older trailer, some specs for older ones are found on the Airstream site, but you have to look hard for them.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Gene makes a good point about the bed. We have a back queen, and replaced the AS mattress with a standard queen TempurPedic just like we have at The Cabin back home. What a difference it makes! I still have not added the extension to the bed platform, but it's high on my list.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I have no problems in our trailer, but I remember my dad having trouble back in the 80's (he was 6'4"), and he solved it by trading to an Avion. Trouble is, they are no longer built, but the used ones you do find don't bring the money that an Airstream does, so that might work for you.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #10

Currently Looking...
Cedar Park , Texas
Thank you so much for the replies, as we read the replies one thing in particular started to become vaguely apparent. There appears to be a need for some type of headache protection device... besides the obvious choice of wearing helmets inside. By the way, I did let my imagination play with that for a while but I don't think my better half would see as much humor as I do. An interesting follow up question was brought up though and I am hoping to tap the wellspring of knowledge available again.

Does anyone know of a company that could remove the roof and make the sidewalls and their supports longer then reattach the roof thereby adding headroom to the interior? I don't know if it can be done or has been done but sometimes the simplest solution to a question like this is to ask.

Thank you again for all your help. Tim
Living Well is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Well View Post
Thank you so much for the replies, as we read the replies one thing in particular started to become vaguely apparent. There appears to be a need for some type of headache protection device... besides the obvious choice of wearing helmets inside. By the way, I did let my imagination play with that for a while but I don't think my better half would see as much humor as I do. An interesting follow up question was brought up though and I am hoping to tap the wellspring of knowledge available again.

Does anyone know of a company that could remove the roof and make the sidewalls and their supports longer then reattach the roof thereby adding headroom to the interior? I don't know if it can be done or has been done but sometimes the simplest solution to a question like this is to ask.

Thank you again for all your help. Tim

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...any-79254.html
Tim, I guess you haven't read this thread yet.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I'm not sure Darkspeed is hiring out, but his solution was to raise it at the bottom.

There are a number of businesses that specialize in Airstream restoration and modifications and will surely do anything you want for a price.

Helmets are cheaper than these approaches. Perhaps a Hover Round so you just sit all the time.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote