Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2006, 09:37 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Roblin , MB.
Question Looking - browsing for an AS.

Hello,
I have read through a lot of the information and advice on AS Forums in regards to buying an AS.
I have detected a concern from some of the contributors of this information towards units advertised on e-bay.
Currently there is an '79 Argosy 30' on e-bay - item No. 230032913898. The seller claims all you have to do is bring a bag of groceries and hook up!
Is the buy it now price as listed realistic?
Also - I am wondering about an Argosy vs. an AS. My understanding is the Argosy is the same as an AS, only painted? Or are there other concerns between the two out there?
This Argosy is in MT. so it's only about a 9 - 10 hr drive from MB. Locating an AS in Canada is like looking for hen's teeth?
Appreciate any advice.
Thanks,
Bob
nairnchyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Not so Rare

It is great that you look first. I bought the first one I saw.
Argosy has a steel end cap thus is painted rather than polished and clear coated like aluminum.
As time goes by you will see more and more Airstreams. Sort of like wildlife, the better your knowlege the more you will see.
Any time money is involved, well, be careful. There are Ebay scam threads worth reading. Some are very funny! And frightening.
Be patient, gain knowlege of the expensive pitfalls like floor rot, frame damage and then be get ready to buy. There are threads to estimate value based on age and condition.
"Search" and you will see.

R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
E-Bay concerns

Bob-

Welcome and good luck in your searching, both here on Forums and for the perfect Aistream or Argosy for you...

There is so much on E-Bay, I thought I'd summarize two basic hazards. I'm somewhat of a critic, though there are many who have had happy transactions.

The first is outright blatant fraud. A dishonest person lists a non-existent trailer by fabricating or taking over a legitmate user name, and posting pictures and descriptions of something, and then concocts an alternate means of communicating (other than standard E-Bay user messaging..) Often an elaborate delivery scheme goes along, involving perhaps phony escrow, or shipping agents, or such.. If you see that, log off and have a cool drink...

The second I'd call "Differences in Perspective" on condition and history.. Some sellers insist on defining their object as "great condition" and "ready to go" when in fact it is not roadworthy, the frame and sub floors ar rotted and dangerous, the interior is full of mold and dangerous rat and mouse residue, and none of the appliances or plumbing or air conditioning are functional. Add in a few dents, leaks and broken windows, and the value is substantially impaired...

I'd travel to see a unit before bidding, rather than after, or arrange for someone objective and knowledgeable to inspect on my behalf if possible. I'd also insist in multiple sharp digital photos from variety of angles inside and out. It may really be a great find, but if it isn't, it will be an expensive lesson. Good signs for E-Bay success include frequent open discussions with the known real seller, and some form of escape clause or ability to walk away if trailer is not as represented. While some sellers get burned by buyers who try to bargain price down without cause, it seems more sellers over-represent what they're selling..

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
A quick decision can be burdened with many discoveries later. I agree with fastrob and John on the idea of inspecting first. I didn't know what I was getting into with my Argosy and it had 3 significant areas of leakage with floor rot. From your distance you cannot determine if it has the suspicious musty smell inside. It has been upgraded with what looks to be Ambruso drapes and a ZipDee instead of the probable Carefree original awning. That looks like a Dometic fridge, probably a 2-way working on both 110v and propane; this can be the most expensive single item to replace, so be careful that it works on both sources! The eBay listing does suggest the A/C works -- hard to check out at your distance and in such cool weather. It does not have rockguards and you'd certainly want to install those if you intend to pull this on vacation.

You've got to ask yourself if this is the length and floorplan you wanted in the first place. See here for a member's Argosy brochure scans. I suspect you've seen the Price vs. Condition webpage. An Airstream and Argosy have much in common -- construction, repair, electro/mechanical systems, axles, etc. You use them both the same. In the end only you will decide if you want the aluminum exterior; I'd suspect the higher demand is for Airstreams.

I know what you mean about hen's teeth -- proximity to our underpopulated northern tier isn't going to expose you to many convenient units. Have you been looking at other online sources? ASForums classifieds? Craigslist? RVTrader? Proper representation of condition is a problem anywhere you go. This auction deadline of Oct. 2nd makes it tight for you.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello Bob.. We have EXACTLY the same Argosy... same year , same length, same layout.. only difference .. we have gutted our except for the bathroom and kitchen.. that will be next year.. be especially careful of the big window beside the door.. that is where the floor is bad on ours and it will be to be replaced.. we have done this before.. if you need any info.. just pm us.. the asking price I think is a little steep.. could be gotten for a little less I believe.. we paid a great deal less but ours looked AWFUL.. covered in moss..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Ask about the walls... it may just be the photos... but it looks as though the walls have been repainted - especially in the bathroom. If they have been painted - Why?
Originally, this trailer was pobably carpeted. Try to find out what else has been done. I noticed what appears to be the shower head/nozzle laying on the bathroom counter.

Ask about the body - any dents?

And you can count on having to replace the axles on a trailer this vintage - probably fairly soon. They just wear out.

In general, bigger (vintage) trailers are CHEAPER that little ones.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
The biggest problems we have found with any of our Argosys were the floors.. the axles on our 79 are good and the axles on our 75 were also good.. only had to replace the shocks..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
If you don't mind a bit of travelling, Airstreams and Argosy's come up for sale quite regularly here in BC. I regularly check craigslist.com and buysell.com for them to see what's available. Take the timeto look at different floor plan options and decide which will work best for you. Searching is half the fun! Good luck!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote