Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2009, 06:57 PM   #1

landgrove , Vermont
looking at '63 Ambassador

Hi! new member here! Do not own an Airstream, but have always loved them, and hope to own one someday. Am currently looking at a '63 Ambassador (For Sale) and am wondering what I should be looking at/for that might be expensive/difficult/impossible to repair/replace.?? It looks to me like everything is original. Shell looks to be in good shape. But i'm wondering about a 46 year old undercarraige? Should i worry about rusted out axles, frame, suspension, etc.?? Today was the first time i have seen an old Airstream up close, so dont even know what questions to ask. thanks for any advice.
amcclaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
We have a 63 Ambassador and love it. We have spent the last year working on fixing it. The size is great, not too big not too small, can be pulled by a medium sized vehicle. They have a nice layout with plenty of room for a family of four. Check out our pictures, may give you some inspiration......or terrify you. Be ready to work but it has been a lot of fun!! If you don't mind my asking, how much is the asking price?

Best of luck,
63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Get someone with some knowledge of Airstreams to go with you for another look. There are people here who offer free inspection service. There is also a local unit of the WBCCI which might be willing to help. Do a Google search for their website and contact their membership chairman or president by phone to see if they have a tech guy who would be willing to go with you for an inspection. You do not know how deep this puddle is. You need to probe the depth (check the floor and frame rot with an ice pick) before you jump in with two feet.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
We have a 65. We had to do a rear end replacement from a rotting bathroom floor. We chose to replace the bathroom fixtures and put in a shower rather than a tub. I am sure that someone will tell you to replace the axels. We bought 4 new tires and had the bearings and seals done. We had new wiring and new plumbiond done. We are usuing the orginal cabinets. We took out the table and all gas because we will not be boon docking or going where we don't have full hook ups, for personal reasons.We were very fortunate to find people to help us for a reasonable price since neither of us are very handy. I have done all the aesthitic things-putiing down a vinyl floor, using polyurethane on the BR floor and painting the living room floor. Next year we hope to put a cork floor in. We are very close to being ready to take her on the road.(Note I didn't say finifshed because I believe this will be an ungoing lifetime project.LOL)This forum and the wonderful folks here have been an invaluable resource. Read, read and read some more. Good luck and hope you will be streaming soon!
Old 04-11-2009, 06:37 AM   #5

landgrove , Vermont
Hi, they are asking $5,000 and that sounds like a steal to me. But to be honest, we are not in a position to buy/restore an airstream yet. Maybe in a few more years. But,, am starting the tire-kicking/research process. I hope someone buys this beauty and does the right thing by it.
amcclaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcclaran View Post
Hi, they are asking $5,000 and that sounds like a steal to me. But to be honest, we are not in a position to buy/restore an airstream yet. Maybe in a few more years. But,, am starting the tire-kicking/research process. I hope someone buys this beauty and does the right thing by it.
If this AS has been regularly maintained $5000 may be a steal. If it has been sitting around for years it may still be an OK price. Keep in mind the purchase price is just the beginning of the cost of the trailer.

Make sure you get a good look underneath. Bounce around on the floor. Look at the floor under door and windows for rot and at the cabinets for evidence of water damage. Find out what you can of the history of this trailer. How and where has it been stored? Has it been exposed to harsh conditions, road salt, or salt air?